Intro - started today on a whim

laura19

I'm reading the book, and figured I'd start when I finished it.  Then that felt like procrastinating to me, especially with the basics outlined pretty clearly on the site.  Then I had a birthday party with my kids today and there would be delicious, homemade cake.  So I thought I should start tomorrow.  Then I realized, isn't that kind of the point?  I mean, if I'm planning my life around junk I can eat that probably means I should start yesterday.  So I did.  Well, today.

I've been having some stomach issues; I'm pretty sure it's IBS.  I'm almost 38, and have so-so eating habits in general.  Probably a lot better than the average, mostly because I have 2 kids and I want them to eat well.  But not great.  And I've found the older I get, the harder my body takes my junky binges.  Someone I know suggested Whole30 so I googled it, and here I am.  

Today I had eggs, an apple, some cashews, a burger (no bun) with sauteed mushrooms & onions, and I'm waiting for my popcorn cauliflower to finish cooking.  I haven't really been hungry, but resisting cake, chips and hot dogs was tough.  I did it though.  Giving up coffee is going to be hard.  I know coffee is allowed but I don't like it black, and I also think w/ my stomach issues I should try to stop.  I love it so much, I even roast my own beans.  So yeah.  I'll miss it.  I'll miss wine too.  People who have done it assure me I'll miss them less the 2nd half of this month.  They also say day 7 is the hardest so I'm really looking forward to that ;)

Hi Laura!

Well done on resisting the party food! That would be tough on your first day, but it does get easier :)

I'm not sure how many meals the food you mentioned covered, but it doesn't sound like a lot (especially in the vegie department) so I thought I'd attach the meal template for you. It's a great thing to print out and stick on the fridge or pantry to reference when you're putting a meal together :)

As you get farther into the book you'll see the author says, Start Now! Right now! So you starting 'on a whim' is really more like following directions already! Good job! I'm always starting over it feels like so this is Day 1 for me, too. I'm trying to plan everything as best as I can and avoid my previous pitfalls. 

Welcome and well done on starting right now! Amberino21 had to post the food template for me too as I was way to light on veggies in my first couple of days. Doing OK now on Day 14 though, got it sussed!

Good luck for the rest of your journey :)

How do I get to the meal template?

Apologies!! i was on my phone yesterday and forgot to add the attachment...

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

i'd definitely try to get a good understanding of what the whole 30 is and isn't before starting to get the full benefit - while it's a good idea, you don't need to read the book, there is plenty of info here:

http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

and the forum is invaluable!

Hi, welcome! I have found that my IBS symptoms have improved during the Whole30. So, good luck!

Also, "grazing" is sort of the opposite of the Whole30, so definitely finish the book. :-)

I'm definitely going to finish it.  That said, I feel so much better eating 5-6 small meals a day than 3 large ones.  I'm only on day 3 but I haven't felt any difference in that yet.

Archived