Extended Breastfeeding

I am hungry all the time.  I am not nursing a newborn, but every time I breastfeed I become ravenous. 

What do I do?  I am eating lots of fat.  i will post my diet below.

Background: I am breastfeeding a 16 month old little guy (95% for weight) and am on Day 7.   He's allergic to soy and dairy. He only nurses for his milk, and when I am pumping (away from him) for the day- I get about 20 oz a day, so I am still getting a fairly decent supply.

B (9am): coffee with coconut milk, 2 pastured, organic eggs fried in coconut oil, 1 small sweet potato diced and fried in coconut oil with spinach and cherry tomatoes

L (2pm): 5 oz grassfed ribeye, 1 small sweet potato,1 c. (coconut) creamed kale (cooked in bacon fat)

RAVENOUS at 5pm so I snacked on 10 macadamia nuts and an apple while we were running errands

D (7pm): 6 oz grassfeed beef, 1 cup cauliflower rice, 1 acorn squash

I just noticed I omitted fat from dinner.  I'm hungry again (10:30PM)

Most nursing mums eat more meals to sustain themselves and their feeding. You need the extra nutrients and calories!

Perhaps plan 4 meals a day, all fitting the template with protein, fats and vegies.you could also try having a more substantial breakfast - 2 eggs is unlikely to be enough protein. A serve of eggs should be as many as you can hold which likely to be 3-4 :)

I am breast feeding a 13 month old. I know this may sound strange, but when I started my first whole 30 when I ate sweet potatoes I was hungry between meals. I stopped eating them for a while and felt much better. I have added them back, but I have been mostly whole 30 compliant for 90days now and my body has adjusted quite well.

I also went through a phase while nursing my first where I could have eaten my shoe I was so hungry. There was just nothing I could do to fix it for a while. This was before whole 30.

I am breastfeeding my 4.5 month-old babe, and am so incredibly hungry!  I eat 3 big meals plus 1 or 2 mini meals a day.  For meal 1, as an example, I usually have 2-3 eggs, plus a full size sausage link (in addition to veggies, sauerkraut, and coconut milk in my coffee, and sometimes I will throw in 1/2 an avocado if I'm super hungry!!!).  Yup.  That much food!  Just follow and trust your hunger/satiety cues.  

Good luck, and take care!  And yay for you (and Elizabeth) for so many months of breastfeeding!  

Thank you everyone.  It's so funny- I am on day 17 and I can barely make myself eat, just enough to keep my milk supply up.

Another note about paleo way of eating- I have been paleo since I was pregnant.  My little guy didn't start solids until he was 8 months.  He only had breast milk and was 95 percentile for height and weight, and my bottles that I would pump would have the thickest layer of cream I have ever seen (like 2/3 of the milk!)  I think eating paleo (and God love coconut oil!) did amazing things for my breast milk.

Thank you everyone. It's so funny- I am on day 17 and I can barely make myself eat, just enough to keep my milk supply up.

Another note about paleo way of eating- I have been paleo since I was pregnant. My little guy didn't start solids until he was 8 months. He only had breast milk and was 95 percentile for height and weight, and my bottles that I would pump would have the thickest layer of cream I have ever seen (like 2/3 of the milk!) I think eating paleo (and God love coconut oil!) did amazing things for my breast milk.

Totally! I have been Paleo for a couple years and my baby (almost 5 months) is in the 99th percentile for weight and height! She weighs 22.5 lbs! Baby wearing requires a very strong back.

And my milk is also very creamy and deep yellow-like butter.

Nice work all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived