Putting Health First--Whole30 #1 Day 1

megpe1

I have been nearly gluten-free and gradually cutting back diary for the last 6 months.  That said, I am totally addicted to sugar and graze too much.  I am doing my first Whole30 because I have had spouts of random symptoms as of late from dizziness, fatigue, headaches and mental fog that the Dr. cannot explain.  A few months ago, I had a more serious health concern that I need to keep at bay, 

It is time to reset and nourish my body.  

I'm holding myself accountable with daily posts.  

Day 1:  

Breakfast:  Scrambled eggs with red pepper and spinach; 1/2 avocado; few grapes

Lunch:  Mixed greens with sweet potato, pumpkin seeds, beets; green apple; handful of cashews 

Dinner:  Ground turkey sauteed with garlic, spices, tomatoes and kale over mixed greens; steamed broccoli

Note:  Felt good and I did not have any cravings.  

I also started today. I'm excited to make some changes for the long term for my body. Megpe1 looking forward to hearing about your journey and successes. 

(I'm having trouble finding how to post so I'll ask here.) 

I'm not sure if because I'm trying to stay on track, but I feel like I'm hungry all day. Now, after assessing my day, maybe I'm not getting enough fats? But I felt full after my meals I don't know. I did try the "drink water trick" and wait for 10-15min. and still felt hungry and you'll see the two snacks you'll see below. I do have two little ones I'm chasing around...or maybe my body is just readjusting. 

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and a fruit salad

Snack: Sm. handfull of cashews

Lunch: Spinach salad with grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and carrots with a little salsa (approved) for flavor

Snack: Sm. handfull of cashews and raisins 

Dinner: Grilled Chicken (marinated in Balsamic Vinegar), sweet potato, and roasted zucchini and broccoli

I have already planned on adding more vegetables to the morning meal. What do you think? And any suggestions? I'm willing to make this work! 

I also started today. I'm excited to make some changes for the long term for my body. Megpe1 looking forward to hearing about your journey and successes.

(I'm having trouble finding how to post so I'll ask here.)

I'm not sure if because I'm trying to stay on track, but I feel like I'm hungry all day. Now, after assessing my day, maybe I'm not getting enough fats? But I felt full after my meals I don't know. I did try the "drink water trick" and wait for 10-15min. and still felt hungry and you'll see the two snacks you'll see below. I do have two little ones I'm chasing around...or maybe my body is just readjusting.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and a fruit salad

Snack: Sm. handfull of cashews

Lunch: Spinach salad with grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and carrots with a little salsa (approved) for flavor

Snack: Sm. handfull of cashews and raisins

Dinner: Grilled Chicken (marinated in Balsamic Vinegar), sweet potato, and roasted zucchini and broccoli

I have already planned on adding more vegetables to the morning meal. What do you think? And any suggestions? I'm willing to make this work!

You definitely need to add fat to every meal, and include vegies with every meal - I aim for 2-3 cups. Fruit shouldn't push vegies off your plate!

Having a more substantial breakfast is thought to keep you more satisfied through out the whole day, more so than a smaller breakfast with a big lunch to compensate.

Add fats as per the meal template:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Snacking is discouraged, but if you are hungry between meals, a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies is recommended over fruit and nuts. If you are hungry between meals, it's a sign you aren't eating enough at meal times.

Thank you amberion21. In the past, I've struggled with eating even eggs in the morning so adding veggies is completely new for me, but I am going to try and it's apart of the meal plan for the week. What would be suggestions for a mini meal of protein? 

Thank you amberion21. In the past, I've struggled with eating even eggs in the morning so adding veggies is completely new for me, but I am going to try and it's apart of the meal plan for the week. What would be suggestions for a mini meal of protein?

You don't have to eat eggs at breakfast - you can eat what you like! Ground meat, steak, pieces of whatever meat you like....

Mini meals are protein, fat and vegies, not just protein. It's a normal meal, just a smaller portion than you'd normally have!

I have grown to like eggs and am being more open to veggies. I just think one of the things I'll struggle with is feeling like I'm eating dinner for breakfast. I want to feel like their is a variation between meals and still get the nutrition I need. 

Day #2 

I think I'm onto something here....

I had to wake up at 3:30 AM this morning to trek to a business meeting but I did not touch the office candy bowl for an afternoon pick me-up.  Am I tired?  Of course, but I was not lured by the clink and clank of the peanut M&M's across the hall.  #SmallVictory 

My Meals

Breakfast:  Apple, grapefruit --->Not ideal but in my early morning scramble, I left the hard-boiled eggs at home.   

Lunch:  Tin of tuna; mixed greens with sweet potato, beets, and pumpkin seeds; Kombucha 

Dinner:  Apple; lots of ground turkey sauteed with kale, tomatoes, and spices; steamed broccoli  

Overall, I'm feeling good.

Day #2

I think I'm onto something here....

I had to wake up at 3:30 AM this morning to trek to a business meeting but I did not touch the office candy bowl for an afternoon pick me-up. Am I tired? Of course, but I was not lured by the clink and clank of the peanut M&M's across the hall. #SmallVictory

My Meals

Breakfast: Apple, grapefruit --->Not ideal but in my early morning scramble, I left the hard-boiled eggs at home.

Lunch: Tin of tuna; mixed greens with sweet potato, beets, and pumpkin seeds; Kombucha

Dinner: Apple; lots of ground turkey sauteed with kale, tomatoes, and spices; steamed broccoli

Overall, I'm feeling good.

Meg, make sure you're adding fat - you had none with meal 1, a bit with meal 2, and only cooking fat for meal 3. The fat will help a lot with energy especially as you become fat adapted. It is also crucial for your general health, moods, hormones etc

Don't let fruit push vegies off your plate - even with your HB eggs, your breakfast had no vegies!

Day #3 

Question:  Do I need to start over?

Not good.  Lesson:  need to spend more time prepping!

Breakfast:  Majorly overslept (apparently I woke up multiple times to go to the bathroom yet I have no recollection of this) and rushed to work without breakfast.  Grabbed a green juice late morning after meetings.  Lots of veggies but no fat or protein.  

Lunch:  I messed up.  Lunch was brought in from Sweet Green and without thinking I asked for the Spicy Sabzi with chicken instead of tofu.  Description of the salad from the website:  organic baby spinach + shredded kale with spicy quinoa, spicy broccoli, carrots, raw beets, basil, sprouts and roasted tofu chicken; topped with a carrot chili vinaigrette and a squeeze of sriracha.  I started eating before I even realized the salad has quinoa and I do not know what is in the vinaigrette only that its vegan.  

Dinner: 7-8 olives in olive oil, last of the turkey with kale and tomatoes, broccoli, apple 

To those who know more, does I restart or acknowledge the rookie error and keeping going?

I would make it a whole 33 just to be sure - you had quinoa, the chicken likely had something on it that was non-compliant, and who knows what in the dressing!!

also try and stay away from green "drinks" - juices and smoothies are discouraged on the whole 30 because eating your food is preferable. you'll be more satisfied by chewing, and your body responds differently when food is in liquid form. it's also hard, like you found, to have a balanced meal that fits the template.

Archived