ISWF - pg 246 - iron potentially harmful in pregnancy?

Under the prenatal vitamins section in ISWF is mentions folic acid and iron are potentially harmful nutrients.  Whilst I have read a lot regarding folic acid vs folate I am struggling to get to the bottom of the issue with iron.

If anyone can shed some light for me or point me in the direction of some relevant resources it would be great!  Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I was just wondering if a moderator or somebody from Whole 9 could possibly answer regarding this.  

I've read through the book again and still can't find any additional information regarding iron being a potentially harmful nutrient in pregnancy - from how it reads I assume it is not referring to too much iron else there would be a much longer list of other supplements which would also be potentially harmful.  Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't understand why a 'normal' amount of iron in supplements is potentially dangerous in pregnancy?  Is this just for people on a Whole 30 or for the general population?  

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be so grateful for you to let me know what I am missing!  Equally I'd be reassured to know I'm not the only one who wants to know more about this! :)

Hey Sunshine,

I've asked Melissa to weigh in, but she won't be back online until tomorrow.

I don't think it's the mineral itself that's a problem. I think it's a question of TOO MUCH iron, i.e. supplemental iron on top of an iron rich diet (which the Whole30 is). Even though it's a necessary mineral, it's still technically a "heavy metal," not totally unlike lead, so I'm sure that the margin for error on "excessive" intake is a lot smaller when you're growing a little human.

M should have more definitive details on Wednesday :)

Thanks Renee for your reply and explanation, I look forward to learning more.  I'm pretty set on taking the pure encapsulation nutrient 950 +K as a prenatal supplement but just want to fully understand before making a final decision.

There is one other thing I am struggling with. I wondered if Melissa could also share if she took fish oil or another source of DHA during her pregnancy or did not take any supplements in this respect whilst pregnant.  I know we all have to make our own decisions but I would just be interested in hers/her take on it.

Thank you for all your help. :)

Sunshine, Chris Kresser does a good job of explaining the problems with iron supplementation (without anemia) in pregnancy here: http://healthybabycode.com/5-myths-about-pregnancy-nutrition-2-all-women-should-take-iron-during-pregnancy

As for fatty acid supplementation, I took some fish oil and some fermented cod liver oil (a bit of each, not daily and not regimented, just some of each, alternating, a few times a week) during my pregnancy. I think DHA supplementation before and during pregnancy is smart, just don't exceed 1 gram of EPA + DHA daily. (I aimed for about 300 mg of DHA a day. If you take a super concentrated fish oil, that may end up being just a 1/4 teaspoon a day.)

Melissa

Archived