dani's post- log

dani0330

In regards to the breads/pastries ...they're delivered twice a week. They're readily available, it's not like they're extra special and come once a year. The yoghurt is local...you can get that when you like too. I'm guessing they aren't going to stop making it next week?

Carbs are beneficial to growing muscles. Better sources are better, but they're likely to be helping you to gain strength :)

Doing no cardio isn't a bad thing either. A lot of cardio, especially steady state, isn't helpful to growing muscles (kind of the opposite)....If you want to do some, I'd suggest a couple of short HIIT sessions a week

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Amber!

Quick update:

fitness is going great! Still loving lifting so much. To the point that by the afternoon after a lift, even though I'm beat, I'm disappointed that the next day is a rest day. Weekends are especially rough in that regard (I lift MWF mornings). But I know rest days are important, especially to keep up my excitement about working out.

I started doing Tuesday morning track workouts three weeks ago. They're fun now, because I get to watch my times drop pretty much every week, but I imagine once I hit a plateau, they won't be as fun, haha. And then I've been doing long, slow runs on Saturdays, because I enjoy them. My next one will be 4.5 miles, and I hope to do 6.2 (10k) by the end of the December. But geez, they take me forever. That's why I started doing track workouts -- hoping my longer runs start going faster. No luck so far, but it's only been 3 weeks of track workouts.

I've been keeping good track of my fitness, but for a longer-term view, I'm going to post here every now and then. Here's where I am now:

Running:

400 m = 1:40 ... goal = 1:30

800 m = 4:04 ... goal = 4:00

2 m = 19:54 ... goal = 3 miles in under 30 mins

Lifting

bench press: 70 lbs 

squats: 100 lbs

deadlift: 105 lbs and rising fast! love deadlifts :)

shoulder press: 45 lbs -- the slowest progress of any of them. grr...

bicep curls: 2 sets of 13 at 15 lbs

chins and dips: 3 sets of 5 reps with 55 lbs assistance

When I went home for Thanksgiving break, I squatted my little sister, who weighs about 115. That was fun! I'm worried about what I'll do over winter break, which is a month long, because I don't belong to a gym at home. I only have my sister (115 lbs) and dumbbells up to 15 lbs at home. Any suggestions?

Food has been disastrous.  :(  Trying not to let it bother me right now, as I'm currently in the midst of final exams and papers. Planning another w30 over winter break (Dec 19 - Jan 19); hoping it's a good reset.

Love that your getting in to the lifting!! You won't be able to do heavy stuff on your winter break, but try doing timed stuff with lighter weights, or body weight exercises.

Try doing super slow negatives - 4-5 seconds down, power up, no pause top or bottom. Take limited rest between sets. Try doing other exercises - dumbbell chest press, flies, pullovers, lat raises, front raises, dumbbell shoulder press, Arnold press, bent over rows (single arm), reverse flies, shrugs, squats, lunges, split squats, bicep curls, concentration curls, hammer curls, dips, overhead extensions, dumbbell skull crushers etc...plenty!! :)

Archived