Increased Food Sensitivities? or Just Still Figuring It Out

golden

I did my Whole30 in April 2013 and had great results. By the third week, I had an amazing shift in my mood and great energy, to the point that I described it as a spiritual awakening (but only to close friends, lest I seem like a wacky diet fanatic ;-) ). I started working out, which I'd never had the energy to do before. I'd always felt moody and tired before, even sometimes anxious and lightheaded, to the point where I didn't feel I had the energy to work out. And my skin on the W30 was flawless, and my body looked great. So that was all positive.

I don't like the idea of diet dogma, so I eased off of the strict Whole30 for a while. My diet has stayed mostly W30-esque, except I will eat non-W30 foods when I eat out with people, and that usually means grains or dairy. I also went through an ice cream dragon thing this summer when I was off work and bored. I ate way too much frozen yogurt and ice cream. But I have kept up the exercise, which I feel really good about.

Well, by September or so, I noticed that I had gained all the weight that I'd lost in my W30 and my skin was mega breaking out. I stopped eating sweets and also stopped eating a gluten-free but still grainy cereal that I'd been eating. I noticed an improvement in my mood and to a lesser extent in my skin after about 5 days.

Well yesterday I was at a workshop all day with limited food choices. I got a Greek salad with chicken, no pita but cheese. Then later on, I had one alcoholic drink with friends. Today, my skin is even worse than it has been. It really could be either the dairy or the alcohol. It's frustrating because I never used to get reactions like this, and I didn't do a methodical enough reintroduction to know exactly what's going on, since at the time I just wanted to more or less eat in a W30 style indefinitely.

I remember reading that after a W30 people's food sensitivities can become magnified, or at least be more obvious. Do you think this might be what's happening? I think at this point I really should do another W30 with a proper reintroduction phase to get more data on the inner workings of my body. What do you think?

post-18467-0-20820100-1381698553_thumb.j

I don't think W30 makes you more sensitive. It makes you more aware of what the foods you eat do to you. You said that while on W30 your skin was flawless, so that must have been an improvement from before. And now you are eating some grains, dairy and alcohol and your skin is reacting.

It's more likely that your skin was reacting before, but since you were always eating these items, you didn't  notice it getting worse or better until you went on W30.

Dairy and caffeine cause my skin problems... I am guessing alcohol might be a contributor too. After being dairy free for over a year with only a couple of exceptions, I can now have the odd ice cream without stomach pain but my skin flares up 2-3 days later.

Wheat also gave me widespread rashes... I stay away from this completely though

Archived