WholeLife Not Looking Back

Gramma Susie

Thanks, Homer! I appreciate your response. I don't have any cast iron pans, but have often thought I should have a couple. One concern lately, though, is some blood work through my health club a few months back identified an iron retention issue which can add to inflammation. I wondered if cooking in cast iron could make that worse. And, I have recently put my previously stored slow cooker back in business and have been appreciating it immensely, especially for meat and a few weeks ago for the bone broth.

I need to retire a couple of nonstick pieces of cookware and wondered about some good options for frypans. Also, I'm still using the Farberware we got for a wedding gift in 1975. It's something like the popular Revere Ware pieces my mother had, but without the copper. It seems to still work ok when I steam veggies, but the fry pans have a ridiculous sticking problem. I would welcome brand names ideas for cookware that doesn't negatively impact the food.

I'm excited to report that I made it through one whole yoga class yesterday. It was the best class I've taken so far, but even at that, it wasn't the most fun thing ever for me. I'd rather be kickboxing. But, I have to bring it all down a notch. Kickboxing, fun and empowering as it is, has been tough on my joints and by its nature isn't calming or soothing really. It's so energizing, though. I hate to give it up. I'm going to look for another yoga class later this week and then try kickboxing again next Monday and see what I think. I have also been really enjoying HIIT lately just on the track at the gym. I walk a lap and full out run a lap, back and forth X 5. At my age that "full out running" lap is probably not that fast, but the speed I go gets my heart rate as high as it needs to be. The workout is so quick (sometimes 10-12 minutes only) and very energizing.

My prevailing thought here though really is simple gratitude that I still get to be so active and act like I'm young and be part of a health and fitness club/routine that keeps me healthy. Thank you God!!

For those of you who bless me with reading my words, I'm updating my cookware question/comment. I realize I have some LeCreuset fry pans that I've had stored a few years, mostly because of how heavy they are. I'm going to get them out and see if they can work for me again. I've been worried for awhile, especially related to my morning eggs (every morning), that I may be contaminating my gut with whatever may be leaching off my beloved Pampered Chef nonstick frypan. It works so well, but it has a nonstick coating and I'm noticing it is now getting damaged a bit. I'm still looking for advice, if anyone has some. But, I will try my 20-year old LeCreuset enameled cast iron frypan for a change and see what I think. With Paleo/Whole9 I'm using more fat and maybe it won't stick as much anymore. I've been lifting weights now, too, so maybe the weight of them won't be an issue.

Happy Day!!!!! S

I just have to report a couple of very exciting things that have happened for me recently. My husband and I have been rearranging closets, figuring out what to keep, what doesn't fit, etc. I had boxed up about ten pair of size 10 pants a number of years ago, and amongst them was several pair of my favorite jeans. I decided to start trying on those jeans before our trip to Florida in March when a couple pair in that box were a very solid fit for me. Now, seven weeks later, evey pair of pants in that box fits me. Its amazing. I can't believe it. So, I decided with all the closet rearranging to make that my size 12 box and that's where all the pants (now very noticeably baggy) I've been wearing the past 7-8 years are going. I didn't get so bold as to take them to the thrift store, but it has been amazing to be easily wearing all those pants. :)

And, to top it off, we have a family wedding this weekend and Easter was last weekend, so I also needed to be trying on dresses to figure out if anything I have would work. I can't tell you how exciting it was to try on dresses that were snug last year at this time (prompting me then to go buy a couple in a bigger size) that now fit easily. I'm shaking my head again in disbelief. This kind of stuff just doesn't happen for me.

This is still the best decision I ever made related to my health and well being. I've found the best fit of all--an eating/nutrition plan for life. I keep thinking the other shoe is going to drop and it just isn't dropping. I'm the luckiest girl on the planet.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to figure out how to gently nudge my brother and his wife to consider a Whole30. It has changed my life and they've seen it and commented on it. But, I know that no one could have told me to do this nor could anyone have convinced me it could be successful for me. I had to experience all that for myself. Just wish I knew how to be more effective. They've noticed my new physiche and how happy I am. I think that's all I can do and no words could compare. But, I just wish there was a way of encouraging. My sis in law has already had lap band surgery and gained back some weight. She's thinking she should do another surgery and I don't know that she can. And, she really gets it all with the good fat and protein and I think I have to remain silent. There's a book I have to get for this and for my Christian beliefs--Let Your Life Speak. That's all that can be effective right now. I need to let my life speak. I just want more people, especially those that I love, to experience the same joy.

Just posted on another's page when I saw something that resonated with me related to living a whole 9 life. I'm wondering if that could be a new topic. Whole30 followed by support in living a Whole9 life seems like the encouragement I need. It starts with food, but we know its not all about the food. There's so much more to consider and focus on, especially once the food isn't confusing anymore. I'm not baffled at all by food anymore. I really get it now and find that it's pretty easy to stay on track, especially when the rest of my life is manageable. That's what I'm struggling with now. We're in the middle of all these little grand babies, trying to figure out how to see them all and help here and there but still retain our wellness with the 24hours we are so lucky to have each day. We're also trying to figure out when my husband can retire and make sure we're taking good care of our three very elderly parents. And, we are thinking of buying bicycles, but when we look at our life, we don't know when we would be able to use them. Hmm....it's a conundrum.

I'm going to go back to the Whole9 and see what I'm missing there. I think that's where my new key is and just let the food fall into place. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Congratulations on the new grandchildren!  Fun!  And good luck with the Whole9 Life.  It's a good goal.  I'm trying so hard to just let food be food and not let it be more.  And let treats be super special and very far between.  It feels good.

Archived