Angela's POST-WHOLE30 LOG

stubby

So yesterday ended my 30 days.  Whoo Hoo!  Lots of good stuff.  No fireworks (or Tiger Blood) but lots of positives.

1.  Really focused on the mental as I'm a creature of habit and battle dependency on too many things.  I'll make anything a crutch.  I achieved a lot of mental "relief" in this regard over the last 31 days.

2.  Never eaten a sweet potato in my life (or a rutabaga or a celery root).  Love that I'm trying so many different things!  

3.  Because I've been low-carb for 13 years - I had no carb flu.  I've eaten more carbs in the last 31 days....then...I don't even know.

4.  I don't know exactly how much I lost, but the scale said 145 lbs this a.m.  I have to think I was over 150 when I started (shame). I was pleased when I saw 145.   I really ate food - in good quantities - carbs and all - over the last 31 days and I did let go of a little weight.  Normally to let go of any weight - missing meals/starving is in order.  Not a meal missed and totally not starved.  That's really nice.

5.  I loved this forum.  I made lots of entries and I re-read them.  This is really new to me and I think it really helped me to re-read things I wrote.

Things I wished I might have seen a little more relief - but am not giving up on yet...

1.  Fibroids - really didn't feel any different pain levels this month.

2.  Circulation - dreadfully cold extremities and light headed in general.  No noticed improvements.

3.  Mood and energy - mid way I had some really energetic days.  However, days 22 - 29 were really low.  I think some improvements in mood but nothing huge.

4.  Normally I am a morning person.  I went the totally opposite way.  I'm sleeping SO soundly and waking up is harder than I've experienced before.  That's a new one to me.  I hope this levels out some.

What's next?  I have no desire to return to any non-whole 30 foods yet except that I have many celebrations coming up starting next week.   I'd like to be able to imbibe.  

So goals for next 30 days.

1.  Stick to whole30 except for social gatherings when I will allow red wine.

2.  Expand food choices - more and more new foods and new recipes.  Variety is my goal to break myself of the desire to have ANY food/beverage crutches.

3.  Stay away from the scale for 30 more days.

4.  Keep mental focus on simply loving myself with good food.  

So today was my first rutabaga.  I shredded it and cooked some of it with my chicken crumble and some of it with 1/4 of a sweet potato.  Liked it both ways - both meals.  I'll definitely be getting more of that!  Throughout the rest of the day I enjoyed braised cabbage and onions....chicken sausage and more of the chicken crumble.  It all added up to 3 satisfying meals.  

Here's to another 30 days!!!!

Well I have still remained compliant because I just haven't had a reason yet to stray.  33 days.  

Yesterday we were going to go to breakfast as a family and the restaurant we went to pretty much had nothing I could eat other than a poached egg.  I can't do a poached egg.  I decided to opt for waiting.  Not the best solution - but I think the best in that circumstance.

I got home about 11 and calmly took the time to make a good late M1...really not a lot of drama.  I noticed I was hungrier than normal the rest of the day - but that's probably to be expected. I had more rutabaga and chicken.  Later I had cauli mash and a beef crumble.  it turned out being more like 2 big meals.  I was anxious to get back on schedule this a.m.  I noticed the difference.

I wondered yesterday about decaf coffee.  I've never had it.  I use warm drinks (coffee before noon and something non-caf after) to keep myself warm particularly in this cold time.  I've not yet landed on a tea (non-caff) that rocks my world.  I tried a decaf chai - not super.  I've always heard decaf (coffe or tea) is bad for you.  I think I'll keep searching out trying to find a complaint non-caff tea that is more to my liking (and compliant).  Often I just have warm water - splash of coconut milk and cinnamon.  The flavor is kind of lack luster - but it is palatable and it keeps me hydrated and warm.  

So much thought about gratitude as we approach Thanksgiving - I'm thankful to have read the book ISWF, for the authors, the support site, and for my body that deserves to be taken care of.  33 days ago as I was thinking about my approaching 45th birthday (on Wednesday), I made the decision to give myself the present of really healthy days.  I'm thankful for that idea.

Well I have still remained compliant because I just haven't had a reason yet to stray.  33 days.  

Yesterday we were going to go to breakfast as a family and the restaurant we went to pretty much had nothing I could eat other than a poached egg.  I can't do a poached egg.  I decided to opt for waiting.  Not the best solution - but I think the best in that circumstance.

I got home about 11 and calmly took the time to make a good late M1...really not a lot of drama.  I noticed I was hungrier than normal the rest of the day - but that's probably to be expected. I had more rutabaga and chicken.  Later I had cauli mash and a beef crumble.  it turned out being more like 2 big meals.  I was anxious to get back on schedule this a.m.  I noticed the difference.

I wondered yesterday about decaf coffee.  I've never had it.  I use warm drinks (coffee before noon and something non-caf after) to keep myself warm particularly in this cold time.  I've not yet landed on a tea (non-caff) that rocks my world.  I tried a decaf chai - not super.  I've always heard decaf (coffe or tea) is bad for you.  I think I'll keep searching out trying to find a complaint non-caff tea that is more to my liking (and compliant).  Often I just have warm water - splash of coconut milk and cinnamon.  The flavor is kind of lack luster - but it is palatable and it keeps me hydrated and warm.  

So much thought about gratitude as we approach Thanksgiving - I'm thankful to have read the book ISWF, for the authors, the support site, and for my body that deserves to be taken care of.  33 days ago as I was thinking about my approaching 45th birthday (on Wednesday), I made the decision to give myself the present of really healthy days.  I'm thankful for that idea.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Their Ruby Red Chai is a rooibos decaf tea that is yummy and compliant.

stubby - Sounds like you are off to a good start on your post-W30!  Good for you.  Loved reading your list of positives.

I found a rooibus chai tea that is naturally decaf, by Numi.  I've had at least two cups of tea a day since starting W30, and sometimes more than that.  It definitely helped me move away from my snacking bad habit.

Thx vkanders GFChris, and Sara for the tea suggestions.    

I have tried peppermint tea.  I'm going to look for more of that.  vk....do you have a brand you like?  

I'm going to get some rooibus chai tea (Numi).  It sounds like one I need to try.

All is well.  Plugging along - on day 35.  I cooked my first ever spaghetti squash.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it....may just a little ghee to try out the flavor - probably going to be part of M2.  I forked 1/2 of it and it's waiting in a bowl.  More and more new flavors and foods.

This a.m. I had more of those bright purple sweet potatoes - mixed 1/3 SPot with 2/3 rutabaga.  I food processed them after they were baked and skinned.  The flavors really mix well.  The rutabaga drowns out the vibrant purple color...but I guess a pale purple is pretty too.  I read last night that you can actually make a similar mash out of jimica. Definitely will try.  

Maybe it's the time of year, but the mashes are so comforting....and my fascination with newly discovered root veggies is in full swing.  I have a sense that I should be having some broccoli and/or spinach (my previous go-to veggies - pretty much my previous ONLY veggies).   I've been fascinated with all the colors - but maybe I need to get back to a little more green.

Keeping on...keeping on!

Thx vkanders GFChris, and Sara for the tea suggestions.    

I have tried peppermint tea.  I'm going to look for more of that.  vk....do you have a brand you like?  

I'm going to get some rooibus chai tea (Numi).  It sounds like one I need to try.

All is well.  Plugging along - on day 35.  I cooked my first ever spaghetti squash.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it....may just a little ghee to try out the flavor - probably going to be part of M2.  I forked 1/2 of it and it's waiting in a bowl.  More and more new flavors and foods.

This a.m. I had more of those bright purple sweet potatoes - mixed 1/3 SPot with 2/3 rutabaga.  I food processed them after they were baked and skinned.  The flavors really mix well.  The rutabaga drowns out the vibrant purple color...but I guess a pale purple is pretty too.  I read last night that you can actually make a similar mash out of jimica. Definitely will try.  

Maybe it's the time of year, but the mashes are so comforting....and my fascination with newly discovered root veggies is in full swing.  I have a sense that I should be having some broccoli and/or spinach (my previous go-to veggies - pretty much my previous ONLY veggies).   I've been fascinated with all the colors - but maybe I need to get back to a little more green.

Keeping on...keeping on!

I like Tazo and Traditional Medicinals - but I don't think I've ever met a mint tea i don't like.

Ditto on the root veggies this time of year. Roasted parsnips, beets, carrots and red onion, all together - can't get enough!

I had my planned celebration last night and had 2 glasses of Merlot.  Lots of contributing factors but I really didn't feel good this a.m. but I think it has a lot to do with the contributing factors.  

I'm kind of letting it all gel...I could have done some things differently I think and am trying to remember key takeaways.  

Other than the wine - which I planned to try - I stayed compliant with the food.

Really loving the spaghetti squash.  Such a mild flavor that it can go with so many things.  I've just been tossing it in a bowl with my protein and any other warm veggies - it all blends so nicely.  One squash makes so much too which is great because it keeps you stocked up for a while.

Last night at my dinner - they had nothing compliant - but very graciously made me a big plate of steamed broccoli and 5 large prawns...with nothing on them.  In hind sight I could have asked for oil and vinegar (to get a little fat), but what was so nice - was that everything tasted great to me.  Before I would have found it totally bland.  

IMG_3630.JPG

Thanks SaraRuns.    

I'm really curious to know how your event goes tonight.  I think calling a head is a great idea.  It was kind of hilarious for me the other day at the restaurant....every meat that they had was in a pre-made marinade or sauce.  Shrimp was the only thing they could do without a sauce.  It worked out great, but it took a lot of discussion to get to my order.  Smart to call in advance.  I wonder what all the neighborhood gals will think of your W30....maybe you'll get a following.

Well I'm 9 days into my post W30.  I've stayed compliant except for wine on Wednesday.  I continue to be motivated to remain compliant in all other ways.  I know I will have spirits of some kind on Thanksgiving - but other than that - I think I'll keep on the path.  My next "day 30" mark is December 7th.  I plan to weigh myself again that morning as I'm leaving to go to my mom's bday celebration for a couple days that afternoon.  It gives me something to look forward to.

Thinking about making the brussels sprout slaw.  Not sure about the orange juice....might go light on that.  Bit it seems like it has promise.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/66793339868/warm-brussels-sprouts-slaw-with-asian-citrus-dressing

Working on a new batch of butternut  squash and cauliflower.  Have some spaghetti squash left.  A trip to the store might be in order soon.

My night was great, full write up in my log.  I think my sleep was a little worse than usual and much less than usual for sure.  I will keep my eye on the wine and I'm still going to be keeping it occasional for now.

And of course, I meant to call the restaurant, but never did.  So there I was having the heavily accented waiter trying to explain to me what was in various sauces.  It ended up working out, but I definitely should have called in advance.  My meal was definitely heavy on protein and low in fat, but I think it was fine for dining out.

Glad to hear you are motivated to keep compliant! :)

Amberino...I'm with you.  I think of coleslaw too (cabbage).  I think the way the sprouts are chopped are reminiscent of how the cabbage is chopped.  The sprouts are kind of like mini cabbages.  Any - hoo - I agree; the name is confusing.  But if it tastes good.....we'll find out.

Well...I guess I'm 14 days past my w30 with one planned straying on day 37ish; everything else has stayed compliant. 

Low energy today and I know it's very hormonal.  Really fought some big stress eating/drinking desires tonight.  This was my first real moment of....I want a adult beverage really bad.  I have promised myself to allow alcohol only during social situations - and not alone and not for stress management!  I did get over the wave...ate an extra serving of chicken apple sausage to quell the "beast" that was even almost reaching out for a fish stick (I hate fish sticks).  

I know it's hormonal.  I did get a new magnesium supplement (since not liking the natural calm).  I will try that tonight and hopefully sleep off the bad day!  Tomorrow will be better!

Archived