Rhonda for the Win! My 15 Minutes of Fame

rgbarron01

Day 31 :D

The first phase of my journey has ended.  When I began on Nov. 10, I did not really know what I was in for.  All I really knew was that something had to change.  I had developed some really bad habits that were negatively affecting my ability to live the way I need and want to live.

In the past 30 days, I have:

1.  Disrupted the Fast Food Habit--I think I still have some work to do in this area.  I have no desire to consume this food, but will need to continue to be diligent with food prep/planning to remove the pull of a quick/cheap meal on the go.  I think this is doable.

2.  Daily Soda Consumption- gone.  I tried soda water (we have a Soda Stream machine) with lemon juice a few weeks ago.  Meh.  Did nothing for me.  When I think about soda, which is rare, I have no reaction whatsoever.  This demon is dead.

3.  Learned to appreciate the taste/complexity of simple foods.   I thought I disliked fresh pineapple.  Was I ever wrong.

4.  Eaten with dignity.  I have not eaten in secret, lied about my consumption, hidden food wrappers, etc.  I have owned everything I have eaten.  This is a big deal to me.

5.  Learned moderation by listening to my body.  Again, this is a work in progress.  Following the meal template will help with this as I transition into the next stage of my journey.

6.  Made progress towards my goal of changing my relationship with food and the eating process.  This may take awhile and I am okay with that as I feel I have the tools to support me in this endeavor.  I still am not all that into eating meals.  It seems such a bother much of the time.  This attitude led to bad habits such as eating very quickly to get it over with so I can move on to something else, fast food, etc.  I did slow down, sometimes by necessity--impossible to eat raw vegetables quickly, especially salad with the mixed textures, quickly.  However, I couldn't call my eating habits "eating mindfully."

7.  Fulfilled a promise to myself.  I did it.  Sometimes begrudgingly in the beginning, but I did it.

So, enough of that.  How do I feel?

1.  Joint aches are gone.  

2.  Mood is elevated and stable.

3.  No gastrointestinal distress whatsoever.  Zero gas attacks.  Even with meals containing broccoli, cauliflower AND cabbage.  

4.  No hot flashes/night sweats since the first week.  

I did not take any pre-W30 measurements except to get a beginning weight.  I weighed in 18.5# lighter this morning.  Full disclosure:  I am obese with lots to lose.

What's next?  I will begin food reintroductions today--keeping what works and tossing what doesn't.  After years of inactivity, I am working on developing an exercise plan that is doable, sustainable, and right for me at this stage of my life.  Read: walking :P

My journey continues.  See you on the reintro forum!

rhonda

• 2 weeks later...

Rhonda,  congrats.  I just started and I am on day two but I wanted to check in and see what others have to say after their 30 days.  You post reminded me about my night sweats and that I did not even think of it as an issue, I have just come to accept them.  I look forward to seeing if that changes for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Reintros are over for now.

Dairy: out (headache & disrupted mood)

Whole Grains, non-gluten: acceptable, no reaction (although not including them in my food plan yet)

Legumes (except soy and peanuts): acceptable (although not including them in my food plan yet)

Gluten grains:  unknown, unplanned reintro involving pie:-)

At this time I have no plans to reintro soy and peanuts because I don't want to include them in my overall diet.  I will do a proper gluten reintro sometime later.

I may eat whole grains and legumes from time to time.

Thanks for asking!  This has been a great experience.

rhonda

Congratulations! Started my second Whole 30 today. Last year I was starting it for the first time and found great success which carried me all year and a 25 lb weight loss. In-laws in town indefinitely, 15-day cruise and holidays had the lbs creep back 12lbs initially to lose but big goals for 2014 as I've experienced the taste of success and really changed my overall perception. When I was bad, I was very bad. Now ready again for redemption. Bring it!

I really like this point Rhonda, very well said and (at least from me) very well taken.  

4.  Eaten with dignity.  I have not eaten in secret, lied about my consumption, hidden food wrappers, etc.  I have owned everything I have eaten.  This is a big deal to me.

Keep up the good work!

Congratulations, Rhonda! So happy to hear your results as I'm just on Day Two of my Whole 30. It's very encouraging to read how it has changed people's lives. I'm so looking forward to it!

Archived