Well Fed's Pork Carnitas and beet greens

Jenny2014

Two things that I learned today:

Melissa Joulwan's recipe for pork carnitas in her cookbook, Well Fed, is a life-altering experience. Exquisite!

Also, I cooked up the stems and greens from my beets tonight.  I've always thrown them away assuming they'd be tough and bitter. Big mistake! They are sweet and delicious! What a surprise! So now, buying beets is a double treat!  If you need a recipe, I simply chopped up the greens and the red stems, putt them in a covered pan for a few minutes with small amount of water to steam, then added garlic and ghee and sautéed them with the lid off. Yummo! Oh, and salt and pepper.

I roasted the beets themselves.

I LOVE that recipe!  In fact, I'm hard pressed to name a single recipe out of Well Fed or Well Fed 2 that I'm not a huge, ginormous fan of.  The Shepherd's Pie and Chocolate Chili might SLIGHTLY edge out the carnitas for my favorite, but I've been thrilled with the carnitas ever time I've made them.

Great idea about the beets!  I bought some today to make sauerkraut (red cabbage, shredded pear, shredded beets, ginger, cardamom), and I have a few beets left over I was planning on roasting.  I'll try your method for cooking the greens.  :)

Archived