Kat's Committment to her first Whole30

Kathy Kushner

5'8"

52 years old

Whole30 Start Weight - 160

Best weight for me - 148

Day 1

Just discovered this log, fabulous. I bought the Whole30 program a while back but really didn't give it much effort. I'm not trying this time, I'm committed! Also bought the new ISFW and loving it. I find it's so much easier to stay focused on eating well when I'm readng the whys. It really makes choices so much easier for me.

I had started a journal on my computer at home but this is better and it's nice to read others experience.

Having been primal for over a year I don't anticipate struggling with much except the sugar (wine!). I've let too much of that creep back in with paleo treats and such. Why I thought it was a good idea to really splurge this past weekend before starting this, I have no idea but I am paying the price. Ugh. I have a headache and could happily lay my head down on my desk and nap!

Weighed myself this morning and I'm 12 pounds up from where I should be. Took my waist measurement, that was ugly!

Breakfast -

julienned zuchhini cooked in coconut oil and topped wih three eggs and 1/2 an avocado - my favorite go to weekday breakfast. I never get tired of it!

Snack -

1/2 a meal/cauliflower and chicken fried "rice" with some salsa - this was a new recipe...so, so, probably wont make it again.

Lunch-

More of the cauliflower rice, salsa and other half of avocado

Snack-

almonds and cherries

Dinner-

Avocado salad w/shrimp, mango and salsa - I made this last week and it was yum and Whole30 Compliant!

I'm planning to go to bed by 10 and we'll see how the sleep goes. I've been sleeping really poorly lately. Having regular nights of uninterrupted sleep is one of the things I'm looking forward to experiencing again.

Giving up my wine was what I thought would be hardest, and it really hasn't been (mostly). I'd never eaten paleo prior to this, but dove straight into the W30 plan after reading ISWF. I'm 15 days in (halfway!) and probably the #1 improvement I've seen so far is that I am SLEEPING! I have not been able to sleep well for a few years - racing mind, aching back, my arm has fallen asleep, insomnia for no good reason -- I'd often wake at 3am and not be able to get back to sleep until 5 or 6 (alarm goes off at 6:30). Last night I slept 7 solid hours without waking once! Eliminating alcohol and caffeine* alone might explain my better sleep, but I really do believe it's the whole thing, just being healthier in general. I feel great.

(* I chose to give up caffeine also, in part bc sleeping better was one of my primary goals, and partly bc I don't like my coffee black and putting coconut milk in it was unappealing).

Archived