Stacey's first Whole30

MrsBeerMe

Today kicks off my Whole30! I'm really looking forward yo the experience even though it will be challenging. I unfortunately started the program with a hangover. Some friends came over with beer last night to "send me out in style." Our local craft beer community is a huge part of our social circle. I have a feeling that's where my greatest challenges will lie.

Meal 1: 2eggs scrambled with spinach and avocado

Meal 2: "chicken salad" - chicken guacamole and salsa, blended. Raw veggies on the side.

Meal 3: this stew (minus the wine, of course) http://shapinguppaleo.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/hearty-paleo-beef-stew/

I am also starting today !

Maybe we can help each other keep on track :) - this is my second time around, but just dropped the ball big time on a week of chocolate and last night I ate so much pizza it hurt to go to bed. so your hung over and I'm food stuffed !

I normally do things solo but I want to create more of a community so that I keep on track

I also find reading a book on the subject at the same time super helpful, are you reading 'it starts with food'? that book is pretty popular here so I'm on a wait list but I'm going back to a favorite of mine 'why we get fat- by Gary Tubes'.

Anyways good luck on your first day!

Nickle

Hi Nickle!

I think I'm going to need all the help I can get! I am all for having an accountability buddy. :-)

I bought ISWF a few weeks who off Amazon and read it through in one day. Completely inspired! I'm picking it back up tonight to read through more slowly so that I absorb more. I think Pinterest also has a lot of inspiring stories and recipes to keep us focused. I love reading all the recaps and seeing the before and after pictures. Which reminds me, I need to go hide my scale from myself. :-)

Hope you're having a great day!

Hi girls!! This is my 1st time doing whole 30 and I am on my second day..it's definitely going to be a challenge. I would love to jump in on accountability pals :) I read ISWF and loved it!!! It definitely will help. I give you props for having day 1 start when you are hungover..when I am hungover all I want to do is EAT!! You go girl!!! Oh and I love pizza too, that's my downfall and cheese and wine, LOL!!!

Hi Mrsbeerme! And welcome Kryzthe!

I'm excited for our little group!

I think I need to get that book ! I'm going to check out pinterest too. I think surrounding ourselves with primal information is key !

My day is going pretty good, I'm a little frustrated at breaking my diet and do feel like I'm at day one of 30 seems like a mountain! but it can accomplished .

I'm into eating pretty simple, mainly because when I try to make elaborate primal meals they just don't taste that good. :unsure: something is wrong with my cooking.

but what I LOve to do is cook big roasts in the oven and then I got meat for days !!

just to have it around ya know. nothing wrong with taking a little bit of roast from the fridge and having a snack!!

Hi Nikel! Yes roasts are amazing!! I put a whole chicken in the crockpot yesterday...I stuffed it with onion, mushrooms, green pepper, and garlic...then rubbed ghee allover it. Put in crockpot for 6-7 hours...and now I have meat for a few days :)

Day 2: I got 8.5 hours of sleep last night (I was exhausted after a nine mile run), yet woke up feeling tired and sleepy. Guessing this is the "hangover" stage listed in the Whole30 timeline. 

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach and chopped onion, topped with guacamole. Banana

Meal 2: Leftover beef stew from last night http://shapinguppale...aleo-beef-stew/  and strawberries.

Meal 3: Grilled chicken quarter with lemon pepper seasoning and the "famous" skillet sweet potatoes.  http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/05/skillet-sweet-potatoes/

Hey Ladies! Do you have room for another newbie? I'm on Day 5 of my W33 (since I may or may not have had something I shouldn't have on my day 3  - note to self: get rid of the christmas chocolates!)

I'm doing okay so far. Super duper exhausted though. And tired of veggies but some accountability and camaraderie would be great! 

Come on in mjmm!! I hear you about the Christmas chocolates. My problem is more breads and grains. We had bagel chips leftover from New Year's Eve that I had to put in the trash this morning. I swear I actually heard them call my name. Felt bad throwing away a half bag, but there's no way I would have stayed out of them much longer. 

I have to tell y'all (sorry - I'm Southern), that stew is amazing. I had about 2.5 cups of it for lunch at 1pm and I'm still full 3 hours later. I am usually a huge snacker, so meals that actually sustain me are definitely keepers!

Hope everyone's days have improved! Good luck tonight!

hello ladies and welcome mjmm87!

I am Definitely going to make that stew for sure!!

I have to be honest I cheated a bit today eck :unsure::wacko: oops I'm so bad. I guess I got to start over. I was eating my hamburger without the bun with out the sauces and my boyfriend had some onion rings and I just shoved them in my burger for tastyness! which after that I actually felt my stomach not soo happy about it. I'm usually gluten free for life so it was a combo of wheat and deep fry. yikes! so I guess tomorrow is day one again for me. !

tomorrow will be better!

mrsbeerme that is one long run!! I'm off to yoga there is a studio down the street from where I live and I'm going to buy a weeks pass and hope that puts me in the groove for more healthy behaviors. !

and I say yes to throwing that stuff out! I've tried to hide chocolate in the freezer thinking that would be easier but it's not. it's got to go to the trash unfortunately - unless you can give it away.

I will have to try that stew myself! 

I have been good since my little cheat. I'm never good this long with something usually! So I'm quite proud.

I continue to be really tired. I've given up coffee too (mostly because I don't like it without cream and sugar) so I think that probably doesn't help. I'm almost  25% of the way through: thank goodness! 

I threw out a bunch of stuff last night too: it was so hard to pour salad dressings and stuff down the drain but I know I won't ever want to eat them again (and half of them where expired anyways).

I'm struggling with getting my fats in... I don't like avocado (though I'm certainly trying) and I have yet to make (or find) ghee or clarified butter anywhere so aside from cooking things in coconut and olive oil, I'm eating nuts and olives a lot. I try and eat more olives than nuts since I know the nuts aren't superb but it's getting boring! 

I also really need to find something else for breakfast. I can't seem to stomach HB eggs anymore (used to love them but I think I've eaten a few too many). I'm hoping to make some sweet potatoes that I can fry up and then try to make a breakfast casserole of some sort this weekend before I get sick of eggs every other way lol.

Have a great day!! 

I also really need to find something else for breakfast. I can't seem to stomach HB eggs anymore (used to love them but I think I've eaten a few too many). I'm hoping to make some sweet potatoes that I can fry up and then try to make a breakfast casserole of some sort this weekend before I get sick of eggs every other way lol.

You can always have leftovers for breakfast. Just think of it as "Meal 1."

This is a yummy recipe for a frittata to make with shredded sweet potatoes as the "crust" http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13365-needing-breakfast-inspiration/page-2#entry143179

Here are a bunch of threads of non-egg options for breakfast:

http://forum.whole9l...reakfast-ideas/

http://forum.whole9l...ideas-non-eggs/

http://forum.whole9l...-egg-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9l...s-without-eggs/

Day 3: I think I hit "KILL ALL THE THINGS!" a day early. My work email was acting up and I had to make myself not throw the computer against the wall. LOL! Hopefully since I hit the stage early, I'll leave it behind early as well. I did some food prepping last night that I should have done over the weekend. Hopefully that makes the next few days even easier. 

Meal 1: Sausage, Spinach and Egg Casserole (I also threw in some diced mushrooms) 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-egg-breakfast-bites/#axzz1qyyOMJqB and a banana

Meal 2: Leftover Hearty Paleo Stew from Sunday and strawberries

Pre-Workout Meal: mixed nuts (Pepitas, hazelnuts and marcona almonds)

Post-Workout Meal: small portion of leftover Skillet Sweet Potatoes

Meal 3: Tilapia with cilantro ghee and lemon, cauliflower "rice" and green beans 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626071845/another-simpler-version-of-cauliflower-rice?5ab46820 (using ghee instead of butter)

I'm supposed to have a six mile run on the books today. I'm not feeling very energetic at the moment, so that might not happen. I figure I'll make myself run two and then see if I want to keep going. Half marathon is coming up very soon though, so I don't want to get too far off track with the training. 

Nickle, I'm so sorry you fell off the wagon!!! :-( I can't imagine smelling an onion ring right now. It would probably be my undoing. Start back up with Day 1 and tell that man to keep his tempting fried yummies elsewhere! Try making a batch of the homemade mayo or ketchup so you don't feel deprived with the sauces. The more flavor the burger has, maybe the less appealing the fries, etc will be?

MJ - Have you tried any nut butters to get your fats in? I'm really curious about sunflower seed butter. I have a friend who swears it's the most delicious thing ever. Sounds weird to me, but I'll probably pick some up this weekend to give it a try. A couple tablespoons of that with some apple slices or a banana might help with the monotony. Hope you find something you like!

Have a great day, Ladies! And thanks Chris for the recipe links!

Pre-Workout Meal: mixed nuts (Pepitas, hazelnuts and marcona almonds)

Post-Workout Meal: small portion of leftover Skillet Sweet Potatoes

MJ - Have you tried any nut butters to get your fats in? I'm really curious about sunflower seed butter. I have a friend who swears it's the most delicious thing ever. Sounds weird to me, but I'll probably pick some up this weekend to give it a try. A couple tablespoons of that with some apple slices or a banana might help with the monotony. Hope you find something you like!

Have a great day, Ladies! And thanks Chris for the recipe links!

You're welcome!

Your meals look good - be sure your pre and post WO snacks also follow the meal template. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Pre WO should be protein and optional fat

Post WO should be protein and veg

Watch nut butters: they can be food without brakes for many folks. If you choose to "go there," better choices are nut butters made from cashews, hazelnuts and macadamias.  

And finally, if you need snacks between meals, have a mini meal including a protein and fat.  Apple and nut butter is not a good choice. Save your 1-2 fruit servings for enjoying with or immediately after your meals.

Thanks Chris for that info I didn't know those facts about pre and post workout optimal snacks!

mjmm I enjoy the macadamia / cashew blend for nut butters, but like chris said it's a bit hard to stop! so I don't have it on hand all the time but you can buy these mini jars - might be a good idea!

also If you finding the eggs are too eggie (which I can relate to) have you tried scrambling them and then having them with salad greens or something raw?? I find this helps me in the tummy department.

I love eggs and eat them everyday but if I don't combine them with something it's too much . want to know what  I think is the most amazing egg combination?!  have eggs with left over hamburger patties. honestly just try it out. makes some patties then reheat and dice it up throw in two scrambled eggs vola! it is so delicious !

mrbeerme - yes to the sauces you speak of. that burger was me being in a pinch and having to order it and it wasn't very good hence my draw to the onion rings!!

and I hear ya on the anger part (although I don't' have that right now) but my last whole30 I swear I had a week of it... eck* it shall pass. and also sounds like you got ALOT on your plate. half marathon is a big deal! have you done one before.?

that's a lot of kilometres plus a dietary change, plus work. yep so I think your anger is understandable !

my day is going pretty good. I went to yoga last night and it was so amazing that I came home and continued my workout with my kettlebells that I haven't been using so it was so nice to move my body and feel the soreness today.

breakfast: 2 scram eggs with hamburger!!

coffee - black

handful of almonds

lunch - spinach salad basil stirfried steak and broccoli! balsamic dressing !

Day 4 already! Was dreading the "KILL ALL THE THINGS" day and woke up feeling great! :-) Hopefully it won't sneak up on me later. I have to say - I usually do a lot of cooking anyway, the Whole30 hasn't changed that for me at all, but the FOOD!! Oh my god! The food has been amazing. My husband and I eat a lot of tilapia as a general rule, but the recipe I made last night might have been the best tasting I'm ever made. No complaints whatsoever about the tasty food!

Meal 1: Sausage, Spinach and Egg Casserole (I also threw in some diced mushrooms) 

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz1qyyOMJqB

Meal 2: Leftover Hearty Paleo Stew from Sunday and strawberries

Meal 3: Last of the Leftover Hearty Paleo Stew :-(  I will be sad to see it go. Will likely have a banana or grapes after dinner. I've been craving something sweet in the evening, and this seems the best bet.

Hope everyone is having a great (on program) Wednesday!

How ironic that I got my Day 4 newsletter from Whole30 today and it specifically says that if you're craving something sweet, DON'T EAT FRUIT. HA!! So maybe after dinner, I'll work a little harder at ignoring the craving. :-)

ya I'm trying to get the newsletter, sometimes this forum is hard to figure out. I now get notified about posts but I had to go into my setting / content and change some things around.

I totally over brined my pork chops with salt today - grrrr I think I actually destroyed them. my tongue hurts from eating half on one !! blaaaa

I'm not having the best day ! feeling weak and not very focused.

But I did have an amazing yoga class this morning.

mrbeersme sounds like your making some amazing meals!!

I cheated and weighed myself this morning. I haven't felt the good effects yet: I'm still so tired. So I needed the pick me up. It was definitely worth it. I'm motivated for my week 2 and hoping I get a burst of energy and clear skin this week!!

I've had a sweet potato hash for Meal 1 the past two days: so nice to not have eggs, haha. It's really yummy: just shopped up sweet potatoes (pre-cooked), mushrooms, green onion and chicken done in in olive oil. I've been seasoning it with some garlic salt so it's pretty tasty. 

Tonight's the first night I have no idea what's for supper but i have plenty of stuff in the fridge to whip up something good.

Oh and I made mayo the other day: soooo good! I used the Well Fed recipe: highly recommended it. When this is all over, I'll probably never go back to store-bought mayo. It was stressful to make for fear it wouldn't turn out but quick, generally easy, and well worth it.

Hope your days are going great!!

Archived