Feeling anxious and discouraged - need help

karen_s642

Hi guys,

I'm on day 6 and I'm about to hit the road with some friends for an out of town birthday celebration, and I'm really feeling anxious about it.

On the drive, the plan is to stop somewhere for a quick bite for dinner. I know there's nothing I can eat at those highway stops... So I asked if anyone would mind me going to a grocery store. Even then I don't know what I can eat! Everything that's pre made is prob off limits and everything else basically needs to be cooked.

Then we're going to arrive and go to the bar, where I won't be drinking.. And then I'm there for 2 more days. I feel like there's nothing I can eat and I'm feeling really discouraged and grumpy about the whole thing. Any words of wisdom out there?

I went out of town the first weekend of my first Whole30. It's doable! For the quick stop, I would just take something with you for dinner - do you have an insulated lunch bag or cooler? Pack some other food too to fill out your meals - a bag of carrots and some guac packets, that kind of thing. Try to be involved in the decisions about where to eat once you get there, to make it easier on yourself. You really can do this. For our first dinner out my friends all wanted to eat at a pasta place. Yes, seriously. But they had a grilled vegetable salad that was compliant so I was good. The next day I lobbied hard for a burger place, where I got a bunless burger and a kale salad that were both awesome. Eating out is doable!

Bring a small cooler with some hard boiled eggs, cut up veggies and almond butter (or sunshine sauce!) and some cooked chicken and a container of salad greens to eat on the way there. There is almost always something compliant that you can eat when you are out. Just ask the server!!! Seltzer with a lime to drink at the bar and you are good to go!

Eating out is hard.  On road trips I pack hard boiled eggs, jerky, nuts, dried fruit, fresh packable fruit, Larabars, tuna in a bag, maybe a salad I can eat that day.  I have found eating out challenging.  There are 2 BBQ places around here that have the sauces on the table.  Salads are good.  I always ask if the burgers have bread in them, and if not I ask for it on top of a salad.  Grilled options are good.  Mexican, Chinese, and Italian places are so hard.  I usually check the websites for a gluten free menu to start with.  You can do it!

Others are right, take snacks to have with you and munch on.  Then if you find yourself in a tempting or difficult situation, you have a fall back and you also won't be as hungry, making you less likely to slip and eat something that you shouldn't.  Sometimes it can be hard to get salad when you're surrounded by fries and you haven't eaten since yesterday.  As far as grocery stores go, just head straight to the produce section and load up on fruits and vegetables and healthy fats like guacamole to keep you full.  Some stores are better than others, but you can find something I promise!

I find myself in this situation a lot and I usually do pretty well.  Yesterday, though, I slipped and ate some bread and today I feel just awful.  I'm so disappointed in myself for slipping, I have to start all over, and I feel bloated and gross.  The moral of this story is, IT IS NOT WORTH IT! If you think you hate your life when you're at a bar watching other people eat pub mix, just wait until a few hours after you cheat and eat some yourself.  Seriously, stand your ground. 

Fortunately gluten free is pretty popular right now (at least in my neck of the woods) so most places have gluten free options.  Then it's all about will power! Good luck and have fun :)

Archived