Adjustments to bizarre work schedule

My husband works 12-13 12 hours shifts per month.  With a bizarre day on, day off, day on schedule at times, this really makes for an IMPOSSIBLILITY for him to do three full meals a day or to have them at any set time other than our evening family meal.  We are very consistent with a 5:00 evening meal.  Other than that, he usually takes snacks to work.... I try to make them balanced with meat, vegetables and nuts or guacamole for a healthy fat but he usually can not eat them together...sometimes he doesn't even get to eating until morning before he comes home.  Then when he gets home, typically he goes right to bed, especially if he works again that night.  Then he may get up at 4 to exercise....if he does, he gets up, exercises for 10-20 , showers and joins us for dinner.  On his days off...if he worked the night before, he comes home and sleeps till 2....eats something ,  and then eats again with us around 5ish.....

So does anyone have suggestions on what accommodations to make for this kind of schedule?  Please don't even suggest he make himself eat a meal at work because he really can not.  Help please?  I'd really like to do the whole30 with him in about a month and I'm trying to figure out how to make it all work...

Sounds to me like he just needs to make sure that the food he has available to him at work is W30-compliant and that he has a balance of meat-veg-fat and consume them together to the best of his ability. Then, if all he can do is snack here and there then at least he's snacking on W30 food. If he can manage to eat something out of a tupperware, then if he packs food that is already combined (I'm picturing a chicken salad w/ olive oil or W30 mayo mixed in) then he can't not eat his meat-veg-fat together if it's already mixed together, right? Even in small amounts when he can fit it in this is better than eating them separately. If tupperware is not an option then think about snacks that he can put in his pocket that are well balanced and easy to cram down, such as Primal Pacs or something similar (jerky with fruit and nuts), etc.

It's important to make sure he has enough food available to him at work and at home so that overall he is eating enough. Otherwise I've seen it said elsewhere that while the meal templates, etc. are a guideline, what makes a W30 a W30 is eating W30-compliant foods.

Thank you. That encourages me.  I think we can get him to stay compliant- I just wasn't sure of the importance of the three meals a day thing...  this makes me feel better.  Yes, I do often make him up a salad that has chicken or rolls of organic ham with it... along with guacamole or something of that nature.  I was so glad to see yesterday that the little packs of guacamole he likes have no sugar and seem compliant!

Archived