salicylic acid and sulfite senstive

So I'm on day 18 of the whole 30. A little history: For the last 5 years or so I've been dealing with crazy allergy symptoms including headaches, brain fog, itchness, and nasal congestion. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with being sensitive to salicylic acid and sulfites. I've tried everything under the sun, including eliminating all salycitic acid and sulfites from my diet completely, to aspirin desensitization under my doctors care. Nothing seemed to really help. I worked my way up to one full aspirin (325mg) per day, and I would take that along with Accolate allergy medicine. I would get ringing in my ears and only seemed to help a little with my symptoms. I've since lowed my dosage to a baby aspirin (80 mg, still with Accolate) and the ear ringing is gone, and still about the same minor benefit. That was a year ago. So after reading the book, I decided to try the whole 30, even though, I am sensitive to almost all of the vegetables for the program. So about 10 days in I started to feel better and my headaches were MUCH less then they were before. And I know the book says that aspirin is bad for your gut, and can prevent it from healing, so I decided to stop taking the aspirin. I was fine for about 3 days, and then the headaches came back wtih a vengence and brain fog even worse. I toughed it out for a few days, and started taking the aspirin again 3 days ago. So my headaches are better, but still really foggy, I'm having trouble sleeping, and my nose is always congested. I've been using this guide to choose lower salicylic acid foods, but without much relief.

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/vegetables/

During skin testing I've had in the past, I've came up positive for sensitivity to Celery, asparagus, green peppers, green beans, mustard, and red kidney beans. So I seem to be very sensitive to even low doses of salicylates, at this point not really sure what to do. Today I had some salmon sushimi with coconut aminos, and I got all foggy and nasal swelling about 20 min later. I plan on sticking to the plan, but it's so tough when most of the things on the plan make my symptoms worse. In fact I can't find one fruit/vegetable on the list that doesn't make my symptoms worse except for maybe onions, bananas, and golden delicious apples. I am thinking of upping my aspirin dosage if things aren't better by day 30, to see if it helps me build up a tolerance. My doctor said I can work my way full aspirin twice per day if I want too. Anyone out there have suggestions?

Re: sushimi, you're not the first person I've seen posting about a reaction to that and salicylates, it may be a cross contamination issue?

I'm not sure if you'd see any benefits of low salicylate foods if you're also consuming aspirin, best to discuss with your doctor.

Some none-food products contain huge volumes, such as orange cleaning oil. it's easily absorbed through the skin http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/10/what-is-salicylate-sensitivityintolerance.html

I hope you feel better soon.

Archived