The nitrite/nitrate debate

http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on this are. Normally when I'm not doing the whole 30 I cure my own bacon using traditional curing salts, I just bought a ton of celery seed with the intent of trying to make a whole 30 approved bacon. In my research I came across this and thought it was pretty interesting. Thoughts??

I've read that as well. I have Ruhlmans book 'Charcuterie'. Its great! I want to make my own mortadela! I would probably be ok with them for home cured or 'artisnal' bacon, not from Hormel etc outside a w30.

However for me bacon can be a food with no breaks so I left it out of my W30 nitrate free or otherwise.

I say try curing with the celery seed!

Here's another article by Chris Kresser about how Nitrites aren't actually bad for you http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

After reading that, I don't worry about nitrites in bacon or other cured meats. In fact, my uncle might be buying a house on 4 acres about an hour out of town and said if I wanted we could raise our own animals out there for food. He said there's even a shed outside where we could put a smoker and smoke our own bacon!

• 2 weeks later...

Woah.  I just lost twenty minutes reading Ruhlman's website and following it around.  Now what I want to learn how to make is schmaltz!  :wub:

AmyS...schmaltz is amazing!! My grandmother always had a jar of it in the refrigerator when I was growing up. She mostly used it to grease the pan while cooking. It's an Eastern European Jew thing. There is a restaurant here in NYC called Sammy's Roumanian, and they serve Eastern European Jewish specialties. They have schmaltz in syrup containers (like the ones for pancake syrup) out on the tables to pour over your food. Most people pour it on chopped liver. It's deeeeelicious!! 

Archived