Help me pack for a trip to Haiti on the autoimmune protocol

Emily T

I heading to Haiti February 13-19. Unfortunately the timing of this trip is such that I am doing in the smack middle of trying the autoimmune protocol due to a new and very frustrating allergic response to nightshades. I am trying my best to avoid nightshades and their associated spices during this trip, so I can go at least 30 days without them before reintroductions.

I expect lots of rice and beans and creole spices to be on the menu. Lord help me!!! I will have access to a kitchen, but I am not sure to what extent I will have time to prepare meals. I have emailed the place where I am staying to inquire about to what extent I will be able to buy my own food. 

I am planning to reintroduce a few things (seeds, nuts, and possibly eggs if I have time) prior to my trip but I need some advice on what I can pack in my bag in case of emergency. Edited to add: I am NOT concerned about trace amounts of sugar in products, but I need to avoid peppers, tomatoes, and spices per the AIP. 

So far my ideas are:

-Canned tuna 

-Dried fruit

-Larabars (possibly, depending on how the reintro of nuts goes)

-Beef jerky (if I can find nightshade free variety)

-Canned yans or carrots (gross...just the thought of this...ugh!)

Any other suggestions? 

My political/social justice self is talking more loudly than my Whole30 self at this moment, so keep that in mind as you read on.  Since Haiti is a country where, as you know, most people don't ever get enough of any kind of food to eat, ever in their lives, I'd be kind of hesitant to attempt to eat much other than what was provided.  I'd be concerned, rather, that you don't stop eating out of survivor guilt - a bigger problem for aid workers and others going to poverty-stricken/famine-prone places like Haiti.

That said, if you're dealing with allergies, I would do what you can to eat foods you know you are not allergic to.  I wouldn't even think about bringing Lara bars.  You open one of those and four million hungry children will be clinging to your knees in about half a milli-second.

I know that's not a Whole30 approved answer, but I'm not a moderator so I'm stickin' to my story.  If you've not been to a place where people starve to death (and I haven't, so am not speaking from personal experience), you may find that just plain old eating is enough of a challenge.  Avoid allergens and pick up the AIP when you return, that's my non-Whole30-approved advice.

Also, and much more importantly, I wish you very well, and may you find lots to love in Haiti even though it's such a traumatized part of the world.  Go you!  :wub:

AmyS - Thanks for your input. :) So a little context - I am visiting a family member who works there, and I'm staying in her apartment so I expect to have relative privacy for a number of meals. That said, I believe we will be eating a lot of meals at her place of employment. I am more concerned about offending my hosts by turning down food! Its not my first visit to a less developed country (I work in international development), but it is my first time while dealing with significant food intolerances and health problems, which seriously complicates this trip. 

The whole reason behind my doing the AIP is to identify my food intolerances and allergies - I wish it were as easy as "avoid stuff that you are allergic to" but I just do not know what the specific problems are. If my reintroductions are not done properly, then all the work I have done to avoid these foods will have been a waste. While I know that in the end I may need to just suck it up and eat something that is forbidden, I am trying my  best to prepare to avoid this as much as possible!!

Runninglawyer - great suggestions!!! Thank you! 

AmyS - Thanks for your input. :) So a little context - I am visiting a family member who works there, and I'm staying in her apartment so I expect to have relative privacy for a number of meals. That said, I believe we will be eating a lot of meals at her place of employment. I am more concerned about offending my hosts by turning down food! Its not my first visit to a less developed country (I work in international development), but it is my first time while dealing with significant food intolerances and health problems, which seriously complicates this trip. 

The whole reason behind my doing the AIP is to identify my food intolerances and allergies - I wish it were as easy as "avoid stuff that you are allergic to" but I just do not know what the specific problems are. If my reintroductions are not done properly, then all the work I have done to avoid these foods will have been a waste. While I know that in the end I may need to just suck it up and eat something that is forbidden, I am trying my  best to prepare to avoid this as much as possible!!

Runninglawyer - great suggestions!!! Thank you! 

Ah!  If you have a kitchen and privacy, then yeah, of course, go to it with the portable ingredients/foods.  And I wish you the best identifying the allergies - that's really tough. 

Have a great trip!

Archived