ZellyB goes Whole 30

Zellyb

I'm starting today with my first Whole 30.  My husband is doing it along with me and I'm excited to try this, but also nervous about being able to do it.

We spent the weekend shopping and doing prep for our first few meals for the week.  It feels like a lot of work to be prepared with food, but I imagine as I get used to it that will improve.  I just want to be sure I have things ready and planned out so that I don't get caught in a weak moment and end up eating something non-compliant.

Yesterday I did manage to cook up some items for lunch and breakfast and even made my own mayo.  Go me! 

I think having this log and listing out what I'm eating each day will be a help to me in sticking with it.  At least I hope so!

Day 1

M1 - Breakfast skillet.  Ground turkey and apple

M2 - Frittata with beef, onion and spinach.  Mixed green salad with avocado dressing.  Mixed berries.

M3 - Ground beef, celery, green pepper and almond skillet.  Mixed green salad with olive oil mayo/balsamic.

I think I managed pretty well today with the exception of breakfast.  I think I needed something more substantial for breakfast because I was really hungry by lunch.  Lunch, however, was really filling and tasty and dinner as well really satisfied me and was delicious.

I ended up spending another hour+ prepping for tomorrow's meals.  I have class right after work, so I needed to fix not only my lunch, but dinner as well.

But, I managed to get everything ready and packed up in the fridge ready to head out in the morning.

One day down.  29 to go!   :D

Day 2

M1 - 3 Scrambled eggs and salsa

M2 - Frittata with beef, onion and spinach.  Mixed green salad with avocado dressing.  Mixed berries.

M3 - Porterhouse steak with balsamic/mayo sauce with onions and tomatoes DELISH.  Green beans and salad.

Today went pretty well.  The meals are definitely satisfying my hunger although I think my lunch serving is a bit big.  Will work on scaling it back a bit.  But, I really am not getting hungry in between meals.  I've avoid snacking pretty easily so far.  I did walk into a co-worker's office today and there was a chocolate cake in there.  The smell was heavenly, so I fled!

No terrible side effects thus far either.  A slight headache this afternoon and some fatigue, but pretty mild.  I'm definitely craving some sugar though.  Must.stay.strong.

Two days down.  28 to go!!

Day 3

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs with salsa and avocado

M2 - Turkey chop with mayo/balsamic reduction and mixed sauteed vegetables.  Assorted berries.

M3 - Steak with mayo/balsamic reduction, salad, sweet potato fries and proscuitto wrapped asparagas

(we had friends over for dinner so wanted to be sure and keep a bigger meal for them in case there were items they didn't like).

3 days down.  27 to go!!!

Day 4

M1 - scrambled eggs, salsa and avocado

M2 - steak, salad and mixed berries

M3 - salad with sliced turkey chop and mixed berries

This day was a challenge as I go to class right from work, so I had to pack both M2 and M3 to take with me in the morning. I was worried about class because there is a candy jar we all hit on break. But I saved my fruit and ate that on my break instead.

Getting a bit of a cold and that's got me really tired. But still managing cravings okay.

4 days down. 26 to go!!!!

Day 5

M1 - scrambled eggs, salsa and avocado. (This is getting old. :). But it's easy on a hectic morning before work)

M2 - pork chop, sweet potato, green beans, assorted berries

M3 - skillet meal ground beef with broccoli, carrots and red peppers

I didn't like this skillet meal as well as the first one I cooked. But my kids gobbled it up!

5 days down. 25 to go!!!!!

Hi there! I totally relate with making the same thing over and over again especially in the morning when you have limited time and energy! Maybe switch up the flavors in your egg scramble - I like to use sweet potato, spinach and whatever pre-cooked ground meat I have in the fridge (chicken/turkey or pork is especially good) scrambled with my eggs like a hash and add cinnamon and nutmeg. It's super savory and satisfying. You can top that w/ nut butter or sliced/whole nuts if you want some extra fats. Also the veggie and seasoning suggestions from ISWF (Appendix A) work just as well w/ an egg scramble as they do with other proteins.

Great job on your W30 and keep it up!

Hi there! I totally relate with making the same thing over and over again especially in the morning when you have limited time and energy! Maybe switch up the flavors in your egg scramble - I like to use sweet potato, spinach and whatever pre-cooked ground meat I have in the fridge (chicken/turkey or pork is especially good) scrambled with my eggs like a hash and add cinnamon and nutmeg. It's super savory and satisfying. You can top that w/ nut butter or sliced/whole nuts if you want some extra fats. Also the veggie and seasoning suggestions from ISWF (Appendix A) work just as well w/ an egg scramble as they do with other proteins.

Great job on your W30 and keep it up!

Thank you! This morning we made the nom nom paleo recipe for prosciutto wrapped frittata muffin. It was delicious. I'm convinced finding the way through the 30 days is to keep variety in the mix

Day 6

This was a challenging day logistically. My son had a wrestling tournament all day. We thought we'd have time to run home to grab meal two. Not so much. We had brought some almonds and berries along to help us avoid the concession stand and that ended up being meal two. Not smart, I know. By the time we ate meal three we were really hungry. Oh well lesson learned. Otherwise all was well.

M1 - scrambled eggs, salsa and avocado

M2 - almonds and assorted berries. :(

M3 - Big o bacon burgers and sweet potato fries

6 days down. 24 to go!!!!!!

Day 8

M1 - Prosciutto wrapped frittata muffin

M2 - Beef, celery, green pepper skillet and mixed berries

M3 - Spicy tuna cakes and stir-fried zucchini, squash mix

This was a hard day for me.  Just getting bored with the food and tired of all the prep.  Some of that may be that I'm fighting a cold and just boredom.  I can see why on the timeline they say days 9-10 are the ones where you are likely to quit.  I'm not tempted to quit, but it's feeling like a lot of work right now.  Monday nights are especially hard since I have to fix our Monday evening dinner and then prepare and prep not only my lunch for work the next day, but also M3 because I go straight from work to class.  By the time I was able to sit down last night, I was exhausted.  But...I did get it all done and today is a new day.  :)

8 days down.  22 more to go!!!!!!!!

Day 9

M1 - Scrambled eggs, salsa and avocado

M2 - Spicy tuna cakes, broccoli and mixed berries

M3 - Mixed greens salad with turkey breast and mayo/balsamic dressing and mixed berries

Made it through another day.  Can't say I'm noticing any more significant effects, but yesterday ended up being a pretty good day for me.  I have class on Tuesday nights and I worry since there is a candy jar that we all hit during breaks.  But, I stayed strong and just ate my berries instead.  Yay!

9 days down.  21 more to go!!!!!!!!!

Day 10

M1 - Scrambled eggs, Salsa and avocado

M2 - Steak, baked sweet potato, green beans, mixed berries

M3 - Creamy tarragon chicken, salad with mayo/balsamic dressing

Hey!  Made it into the double digits.  Woohoo!!

10 days down.  20 to go!!!!!!!!!!

Day 11

M2 - Creamy tarragon chicken, sweet potatos, mixed berries

M3 - Hamburger with fresh guacamole on lettuce, kale chips.  This was fabulous!  My first time trying kale chips and they were great. My kids really liked them too.

11 days down.  19 to go!!!!!!!!!!!

(Nice to see that first digit is now a "1" on the days left to go.)

Day 12

M1 - Scrambled eggs and salsa

M2 - Chicken breast, baked sweet potato, green beans, mixed berries

M3 - Steak, baked sweet potato, kale chips, orange

Boring maybe, but serviceable.  :)

12 days down.  18 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 13

Today was a great day.  My meals totally satisfied me.  I enjoyed my coffee with just a little coconut milk and my cold is finally starting to improve!  Woohoo!

M1 - Scrambled eggs

M2 - Tuna salad with olive oil mayo, eggs, pickles and broccoli.  Mixed berries

M3 - Pork chop with mango salsa and sweet potato fries

13 days down.  17 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 14

M1 - Scrambled eggs, salsa, avocado  (made waffles for my kids and wasn't even tempted)

M2 - Hamburger with guacamole, kale chips, grapes

M3 - Chicken thigh, sweet potato fries, spaghetti squash, assorted berries

This was our first time with spaghetti squash.  Very yummy and the kids all loved it.

14 days down.  16 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 15

M1 - Scrambled eggs, salsa and avocado  (I'm a broken  record here, but I actually enjoy it and it's easy so we are just sticking with it)

M2 - Pork chop with mango salsa, salad with mayo/balsamic dressing, mixed berries

M3 - Steak, baked sweet potato, proscuitto-wrapped asparagas

OK, so for the first two weeks, I really felt like I need to eat a lot to keep myself satisfied and keep the cravings at bay and avoid snacking.  I'm finding the last few days that the meals I have been making are really filling me up too much and so I think I need to adjust serving sizes just a bit.  That feels like good progress to me though.  I can eat a bit less and still feel satisfied and avoid snacking.

15 days down.  15 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY HUMP DAY!  WOOHOO!!!

Day 16

M2 - Hamburger patty, proscuitto wrapped asparagas, broccoli and mixed berries

M3 - Chicken breast, salad with mayo/balsamic dressing and mixed berries

Long day with work and class and was pretty tired of my food choices by the time I got to dinner.  But I managed to avoid the candy jar in the school foyer, so good for me!

16 days down.  14 to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 18

M1 - Scrambled eggs and avocado (I always post these a day behind, but I'm happy to announce that this morning I changed things up on this.  LOL)

M2 - Tuna salad on bed of lettuce, mixed berries

M3 - Roast beef, sweet potato and salad with mayo/balsamic dressing and an orange

18 days down.  12 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been away a couple of days, so have some catching up to do.  Hope I remember everything.

Day 19

M1 - Sweet potato hash and fried egg.  Woohoo!!!  Not scrambled eggs.  LOL.  Loved it.

M2 - Roast beef, sweet potato hash and mixed berries

M3 - Steak and shrimp, kale chips, proscuitto wrapped asparagas

19 days down.  11 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 20

M1 - Sweet potato hash, bacon, fried egg

M2 - Tuna salad on lettuce, spinach chips, mixed berries

M3 - Grilled salmon, stir-fried vegetables, orange,  almonds

We did a little fire in our fire pit and the kids made smores.  MAN!  Did I ever want a candy bar.  But I satisfied myself with some almonds.  But that's the biggest temptation I've had so far.

20 days down.  10 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 21

M1 - Sweet potato hash, chicken/apple sausage, fried egg

M2 - Turkey and brisket, green beans, spinach salad with mayo/balsamic vinegar

M3 - Chili ground beef, guacamole, lettuce wraps, dried plaintains and salsa, orange

21 days down.  9 (SINGLE DIGITS) to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived