DAY#31. Smiling Big.

Bean

I am a 47 year old female. For the past few  years, I just felt blah and bloated. I felt the inner tube around my waste coming. I am between a size 2-4. I never weigh myself, because after years of reaching for an unattainable number, I realized the scale would never show me the “right†number. I already was gluten free, and tried to be dairy free. But cheated frequently. I am a complete sugar addict. So in my 40's I started going by how my clothes fit. And when I decided to commit to Whole 30, my clothes were not fitting great. I knew it was time to size up my jeans. I was feeling foggy, and blah. I was depressed. I was feeling irritable, and cranky. I had no energy.  I would frequently skip meals or snack all day, and binge at night. I drove through Starbucks multiple times a day, but always substituted soy for my dairy. (Knowing soy was not the best substitute!) My environmental allergies were driving me crazy. The congestion gave me frequent migraines.

So ISWF had been on my kindle for 6 months. After I came home from the holiday trip with my family so unhappy with my diet of daily wine, and poor food choices (all gluten free!), and so irritable, fighting with my daughter over everything. I told my husband something had to change. It Starts with ME. 

I tell you all this because my WHY, was never the number on the scale.

I could have never done it without the daily emails. (so much great info)

I unknowingly cheated twice: unexpected carrageenan in my almond milk and sprinkled Braggs aminos on a meal before realizing that was not allowed.

Before Whole 30:

I had never roasted peppers.  I had never made my own Portobello mushrooms.

I never owned an iron clad skillet (and now it is rusted because I didn't know you were NOT supposed to wash it or stick it in the dishwasher. OY)

I had the one pot meal, with ground beef, curry powder, and cauliflower, EVERY DAY. (not because I had to, but because I wanted to!) Yummo.

I lost 2.4 lbs. (yes I said 2.4)  I feel amazing!

What I noticed was, the first week was crazy. It was like PMS on Steroids. I was worse. Thankfully I was expecting this from the timeline.  Day 6, no more waking up with a stiff neck daily. Day 10, I am not foggy anymore. I am not irritable. I am so much nicer. Day 15, Introduce Natural Calm, I sleep soundly. I wake up early.

I eat 3 meals a day. I can live without my wine. I learned how to solve conflicts with my 15 year old teen without wine and chocolate. WOW! All while eating real food. I never felt that I was depriving myself. My meals were amazing. Yes I spent more time in the kitchen than I ever have. And those days I didn't plan well, I ended up eating the same meal 3 times a day. But stayed on plan.

I am no longer bloated! YEAH!!! My clothes fit better.  I laugh more. I have a pep in my step. Yes I said that. I still don't care how much I weigh. (wow, so different than my 20's and 30's)

What NOW? I am thrilled! I don't have a celebration meal planned. I can't believe I can feel this good eating real food.  My friend asked my yesterday at lunch, “do you think this will be a lifestyle change for you?†Absolutely! 100 percent. I will add my wine back in. But certainly don't need a glass daily. I still have the sugar dragon and have been dreaming of making a “paleo†approved dessert during my whole30. Clearly have not conquered my cravings so will not introduce yet.

The rest? Not willing to trade off how amazing I feel, to add anything else back in. Looking forward to continue my growth in this new arena in my life.  

That's so awesome! Congratulations on your success!

Regarding that skillet - is it cast iron? If so, you might be able to scrub off the rust with a kosher salt paste and re-season it. Here are a couple of links that might help. I LOVE mine and do almost all my stovetop cooking in them.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-clean-and-season-old-ru-151535

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107747

thank you so much. I woke up to an almost clean skillet so I know my husband (my angel) must have been working on it early before work, becuase he knew I was bummed.  I will try to get some more off using your links. I do love using it, and made my first frittata in it too.

On Day 17 and doing great, still contemplating what will work for me in terms of alcohol on the other side. I'd sum it up as an analogy to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie", because that's the problem. Isn't it? If I srink a gass of wne, I'm going to want sme dark chocolate or rice or . . .

So for now I feel that deciding in what setting ( away from thdessert cart, and doing something active) is a good thing to cnsider. Not craving or obsessing here, folks,just feeling clever in re my analogy. ;)

I have introduced red wine. Am just going to have to limit it. Because I know what happens after a couple of glasses, all will power out the window. I still am wanting sugar. So am staying away from it. I did buy some Greek yogurt tonight to try tomorrow but really am not sure I want to be foggy again. So am scared to try it.

Excellent!  I'm 47 too and I love how eating Whole30 makes that just a random number rather than a sign of impending middle age-related illnesses (which turn out to be food-related illnesses anyway).  Congrats and woot and, since you're my age I can say this, GNARLY!  :lol:

Archived