Starting on Feb 10!

KanaP

EDIT : WELCOME TO ALL WHOLE30 MEMBERS

START DATE : 10th February

(others are welcome ;) )

Hi there!

I've been lurking around here a lot, but this is my first message.

I did my first whole 30 last August : one day I stumbled on the website, was struck, and started the next day! It all went ok, and the effects lasted for a few months.

Before the whole 30, I had been reducing grains and dairy a lot since the beginning of the year, main result : I lost 12 kilos between January and the end of August (3 kilos during whole 30). These kilos have stayed off and I'm feeling a lot better in general.

Now old habits are creeping back, and I've been thinking I should do another whole 30... but somehow, motivation is much harder to find than the first time!

It feels like  I'm thinking I've already done it twice, so nothing to prove, so no point doing it... can't get my head around it!

Anyway, I really need to find the motivation, my main reason being that my husband and I want a 2nd child, we're going through AIP/IUI (had to for our first child too), and our 3rd one from this round just failed :(

So I want to give us the best chances also with being in the best condition hormone wise etc...

So my plan is to follow the whole 30 for 45 days if I can...

I just ordered "it starts with food" for my Kindle (have not read yet), and I need support!!

Thanks for reading :)

ah, I'm French, just so you know!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you! My situation is that I successfully completed my first W30 on October 31st and felt fantastic after losing 9 pounds and just ridding my life of junk. Then Christmas happened, then I tried to recover, and now I am gaining weight like nobody's business! I feel WRECKED. My pants are so tight I want to hide in my house and never leave (this is a really bad place to be!). To so quickly go from feeling victorious to this awfulness...it's embarrassing! I feel so badly that I made a doctor's appointment to re-check my thyroid. Something's up.

That said, I have a tendency to be diligent for several days and then crash & burn into a pint of ice cream! I know I own most of the blame here. I have a pretty stressful next 3 weeks at work and had planned to start on. March 2 nd after the big event. But tonight I just decided I can't wait. In three weeks, my jeans won't fit at this rate. Time to turn the train around NOW.

Since I did the true W30 last time, and noticed no real issue with dairy, I am going to keep dairyi n the mix this time and do more of a Whole Primal....and not just 30. I don't have a number in mind yet. Maybe the end of March. So I'm calling it my Primal 30+.

Good luck to us!

Hello- My name is Maria. I loved the book... start reading it. It was very inspirataional to me. I am a type 2 diabetic and I feel horrible. My clothes don;t fit. I can't blame it on gas anymore.  I am the heaviest I have ever been and tired of feeling sick and tired.

I shopped all weekend, cleaned out my cubbords, and stocked up with the right oils etc. I made the Avacado dressing in the book. I think I will put it on everything I eat!

Coffee is my downfall. I typically drink it with soymilk, but today it is black. And none after noon....

so far so good... I am 4 1/2 hours into it!

Hi all! I'm a total newbie, heard about the website from a colleague of mine a few weeks ago and I decided to commit! I'm prediabetic and have a very unhealthy relationship with carbs! I'm also getting married next month so this is a bit of a last chance to enter this next phase of life healthier and more fit! Best of luck to all the 2/10 beginners!

Hi guys,

I started my second W30 on the 10th and have been trying to drum up support, but there seem to be lots of little splinter groups. I definitely found it so useful on my first one to have a support group - do you think you all will be hanging around on the forum? Would you like to form a little gang? Not that anyone else can't join in, I just love to see the same names up there each day to remind me that I'm not going through this alone!

I did my first W30 in January (started on the 2nd) and it was a resounding success, but I do worry that I may get too bored to complete another. I also messed up badly on the reintroductions (Chinese New Year in Hong Kong is not a time for moderation!) and gained a WHOLE LOAD of lost weight during the first week. I'm sure some of it was water retention but it was horrific to behold  :o

Anyhoo, good luck to all embarking on whatever version of the plan they're doing. We are all going to be feeling a whole lot better in a few weeks time  :D

Hi bizzielizzie

I was thinking the same as you this morning about several threads for start on 10th Feb!

Would be nice to group somewhere :)

Shall we do it here? I can edit my post!

You're starting soon after the first one, well done and best of luck!

My first one was last August, but still, I found the motivation to start was harder this 2nd time.

But now I'm ok!

My first day was not totally approved as I had some Genmaicha tea, and sausages I had to finish that had a bit of sugar in them, but my plan is to do a whole 45 at least, so I'll keep the 10th as my start date.

I'm in, too. I am having a harder time this time. My food's been good but a couple sugars finding their way in and I can't seem to care. I feel like I'm getting heavier, but I remember that from the last round, too. I think that "real food" takes longer to process or something! LOL!

Hi there!  Just started my first W30 on the 10th as well.  Glad there's a place for people to gather and talk through challenges, etc.  I am finding things not too bad yet, although I am having issues with hunger and am perhaps not eating enough protein - I'm having a hard time figuring out when one palm sized portion is enough vs. two.  But I guess I have to get rid of the "diet mentality" - one BIG reason I want to do the W30, in addition to a lot of the other benefits - and listen to my body and eat when it wants food.  Radical thinking, huh?  :)

So far, I think the fact that I cut out wheat flour and recreational sugar (i.e. cakes, cookies, etc., but not things like ketchup or bbq sauce) about a year ago has given me a little bit of a leg up in not missing sugar and grains so far.  That enabled me to lose about 70 lbs, but I still have about 30ish to go.  I miss dairy a little, but am pleasantly surprised that black coffee isn't the horror show I imagined it to be.  So far, the real issues are mainly feeling hungry and being unsure of portion sizing, in addition to just the mental stuff that comes with this being SUCH a different way to think about fat in my diet and how that jives with the narrative I've been working with for most of my life (one of low fat, calorie counting, etc.).  Excited to see where this takes me and to learn from you! 

miniannotti : come on! Let's stay strong :)

Where was this sugar hiding then?

Thanks for the nudge!!  It wasn't hiding at all!  It was in a (small) peanut butter cup that I had gotten for my daughter.  Then the bite of ice cream that my husband was having!  Though, as I'm not drying to be dogmatically strict like my first W30, that's a far better dip into the pool than in days past.  I don't think that's bothered me as much as my holding on to heavy cream - I may have to part ways with it for a while.   I definitely have the bloat as a result which I don't ever notice with butter or even some harder cheeses.  I might have to think about that a bit....

(Note- I'm really doing more of a Primal plan than Paleo...so don't let that throw any of the W30 1st timers!)

Hi! Started my first W30 Monday as well!

I started a paleo diet with my husband last month then decided to try a W30 on my own, getting stricter with myself. I have several food allergies/sensitives that already seem to limit my diet so switching to a paleo diet doesn't feel too hard for me. The biggest cutback is not putting half and half in my coffee every morning and saying weekends don't count when it comes to a little sugar. I've been mostly sugar free for the last couple years anyway, using Stevia as my substitute. Diabetes runs strong in my family and I've read so much lately about it's contribution to cancer growth that the idea of eating sugar has gotten kind of scary.

I'm usually a pretty lazy cook. I'll make a giant pot of chili or soup on Sunday then portion it out for the week with occasional variations. While I'm not a fan of the time and prep it takes to cook different meals every day, I've really been enjoying learning different recipes.

Hi!  I'm Marilyn, and I just started my first ever Whole 30 this Monday as well.  So far, so good, but it's only Day 3.  Never got the "hangover" but I tend to eat very healthy in general.  Luckily I love to grocery shop, meal plan, and cook.  I'm generally against trends/cleanses/diets but I feel comfortable with the purpose and methodology behind this.  And I really need a re-set after the holidays, some winter depression, and post-marathon binging...

Looking forward to what the next 27 days brings!

Hey all,

How's everyone doing? I started Sunday so I'm only 1day ahead. I'm finding this 2nd W30 a little tougher. I did one a couple years back. This time though, my husband isn't doing it with me. So that makes it hard to see him eating junk in front of me.

Hope I can keep up with y'all and we can help each other through.

Hi all. Great to find everyone! I did a partial whole 30 in the fall and ended early, thinking I had it all under control....fail;)). So I'm starting tomorrow and commited to continuing as long as it takes to reset my unhealthy relationship with food. I know what I need to eat and do, but really struggle to do it. Let the uphill climb begin! (Hope the 13th is close enough to the 10th to join you..)

Ooh, so happy to see so many people signing up to this group. Thanks KanaP - think we can just hang here now that we've found one another!

I am into day 4 now and feeling ok. My husband and kids are not joining me, although my youngest (9) has committed to 30 days gluten free, bless her heart. I'm actually finding the second easier than the first. I only gave myself eight days off in between the two and I didn't let my guard down too much. Don't get me wrong, I ate (and drank) loads of crap but I was at least aware of it and had a couple of days of clean eating in between.

I think my biggest success from the first W30 was kicking my morning diet coke. I don't drink any other caffeine but I had to have an iced DC first thing every morning. Sometimes I would drink two or even three cans a day. That may not seem like so big a deal to some but I have (had???) anxiety issues and I'm pretty certain that my 'coke habit' exacerbated them. So, on my 'week off' I decided to let myself have one. I had a particularly early start and busy day ahead and I knew I would be giving up again a week later.... couldn't drink it. Probably less than a quarter of a can before I gave up. What a disgusting concoction! Emotionally I still miss it, it was such a crutch and nothing has replaced it, but whenever I think of the taste I feel faintly queasy! Yay for the W30!!

My most pleasant surprise on starting this W30 is that I haven't craved alcohol AT ALL. Hubby and I are each others' own worst enablers and we would get through a couple of bottles of wine most nights, sometimes more. He drinks faster than I do, but still  :huh:

During my first W30 I definitely missed it but coped. During my week off I indulged and enjoyed. On my first night back on the plan, he opened the wine and poured himself a glass. I got my fizzy water, didn't even think about it . This is a huge breakthrough for me as wine is my other big emotional crutch. We've both noticed that I'm a bit edgy early evening now, I think it is because there is nothing to smooth off the corners of the day. Not being able to reach for a glass of wine to do that means that I have to confront my mood and deal with it instead, and that's really not as bad as I thought it would be. No biggie after all. Whoda thunk it?

Ok, enough rambling from me. Enjoy day 4, everyone, just think about how much happier your body already is! :P

Day 4 has started!

Everything ok here :)

We're invited for dinner on Saturday, and I'm worried about what food will be served... I don't want to be that annoying girl who cannot eat anything! What if there is only pizza and dessert?

My first whole30 I practically did not go out eating anywhere, but it would be nice to still have some kind of social life... here in France a lot of socializing revolves around food and drinks...

I think my biggest success from the first W30 was kicking my morning diet coke. I don't drink any other caffeine but I had to have an iced DC first thing every morning. Sometimes I would drink two or even three cans a day. That may not seem like so big a deal to some but I have (had???) anxiety issues and I'm pretty certain that my 'coke habit' exacerbated them. So, on my 'week off' I decided to let myself have one. I had a particularly early start and busy day ahead and I knew I would be giving up again a week later.... couldn't drink it. Probably less than a quarter of a can before I gave up. What a disgusting concoction! Emotionally I still miss it, it was such a crutch and nothing has replaced it, but whenever I think of the taste I feel faintly queasy! Yay for the W30!!

Oh my goodness!  This is the same for me!!!  I am a recent coffee drinker (I'm 47, maybe drinking it for a year+) but have always stopped at the corner gas station and gotten a 32 oz diet Coke.  My first W30 this was what I missed.  I still had the coffee with various disgusting coconut creamer concoctions, but I wanted a diet Coke SOOOOOO BAD!  That W30 ended and I have an occasional soda now but broke the "diet Coke dragon".

Now this time, I'm attempting to give up coffee.  Why?  I drink it with a ton of heavy cream, and I think that's bothering me.  Cheese doesn't seem to have an effect, nor butter.  So I think I"m going to give up coffee for a while or at worst, make it bulletproof with grassfed butter.  It's funny to see what people struggle with - it can be so varied! 

Min

Bizzielizzie,

I found your post extremely apropos. I never thought about how emotionally attached one can be to food/drink. It's so true. I'm having my own revelation about learning to eat when I'm hungry only. I have relied on food to help me through every emotion. Lately work has been really stressful and I have found myself craving sweets and comfort foods but since I have none around I'm stuck dealing with my emotions instead. Last night I took a really relaxing bath with lavender oil. That seemed to help.

Anyway, these are the reasons I need to go on the journey. I've had some crazy cravings so far and headaches but I'm steadfast and doing great.

I'm glad I found this forum as I'm sure I'll need help pushing through in spots.

Happy day 4 to y'all and day 5 to me!

Whole30 has tremendously helped me to get rid of cravings and emotional eating!

Also I found out I could be hungry and live with it :)

before I just used to get my hands on anything when I was feeling even just a bit hungry. Now I just wait until it's lunch/dinner time, and I survive!

After a while all these issues came back, so I think I might have to do 1 or 2 whole30 a year in order to keep everything under control.

Hi All, Monday 10th is my official start date, but I had done it for about 5 days the week before that. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay compliant that weekend, but I couldn't wait to at least start on the right path. Days 2-3 last week I had a huge headache and felt horrible. I actually stayed home from work on day three and then day 4 I was so sleepy I could barely move until about lunch. My official days 2-4 have not been like that. Ive had pretty good energy and most importantly I don't get that weird crash in the middle of the afternoon.

What has bothered me most has been my digestion. The first week I had problems like what the timeline said, but that hasn't gone away yet this week. I was feeling awesome until yesterday after lunch I had gas pains that felt like someone was splitting my gut which I have had regular problems with in the past, but haven't had in a while. 

Between breakfast and lunch I had eaten: kale, leeks, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, small pieces of salty bacon (just salt and pork) eggs, mixed nuts (hazel, almond, cashew, brazil), half an avocado, coffee with some coconut milk, green tea. 

Coffee sometimes upsets me, but it doesn't give me the "knife in the gut" gas. Any ideas what might have torn my insides up. I've been eating all of that stuff for the past week and a half, so maybe its an interaction? 

Archived