Starting on Feb 10!

KanaP

i have been snacking quite a bit the past few days - not hungry enough to eat steamed fish and veg - just picking at (compliant!) things around the house.  not sure why.  possibly because i'm still getting over a little sickness?  other than that - Day 18 now - right?  felling pretty good still!  i do feel done being frustrating, (for today) and the workouts are coming back stronger.  it is absolutely getting easier, bit by bit.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I discovered something kind of interesting last night. For me, at least.

I've known for a long time that I haven't had the strongest tastebuds and noticed a few weeks ago (b/c I started eating paleo before beginning W30) that I could taste things better than I used to. Specifically, when I added butterscotch flavoring to carbonated water I no longer needed 10 drops to just barely taste it. I could taste it after 1 or 2.

So last night I brewed a pot of my absolute favorite coffee, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I've been drinking different coffee for the last several weeks. When I took a drink last night it tasted different and I could have sworn it wasn't the same coffee. It has a floral flavor that I typically hate in coffee. My husband said it's always had that floral taste, so I guess it turns out that now that I can taste things better my favorite coffee isn't my favorite anymore.

I'm a little sad about that, but I love being able to fully taste things now! Plus, that just means I get to try to find my new favorite coffee!

So we are in the final push of our Whole 30.  Has everyone been kind of freaking out about planning what to do going forward?  I have actually enjoyed the diet, and have cooked some of my most amazing meals, and have NOT really craved sweets (except the week I was sick and just wanted comfort foods) so I'm trying to formulate a plan for what next....

Its DAY 24 - and I have mixed emotions of how I feel about the last 3 weeks with only 6 days to go.  I started this journey because I wanted to challenge myself to eat a "perfect" diet for a whole month, prove to myself that I could abstain from alcohol for a whole month, and of course - lose weight in the process. (I KNOW this is not a weight loss plan per se but the book points out that this is a side effect for most people and a motivator for me starting were 3 people close to me that lost 5 or more lbs in Jan with their Whole 30).

I'm really proud of myself for sticking with the healthy eating and no alcohol - I was already pretty healthy compared to most people I know but I have been REALLY healthy for the last 24 days! For the most part, I have physically felt really good - to me though, that's not very surprising considering I'm not putting anything in my body that is unhealthy. (I did have a few days last week of very low energy and I'm not sure why - It may have been dehydration?)  I've also been getting up at 5:30 every morning to go work out which also makes me feel great.

Here's the other side of this journey so far - I have broken down crying to my husband at least once a week since I started because I haven't felt the "pants getting looser" and I feel like I'm working my butt off and I want my clothes that have become too tight over the last year to fit again!! I have told myself over and over that it took more than 30 days to gain this weight but this has been hard work to be on this journey and I really wanted to feel and look good in my clothes again. 

Honestly, I'm so confused - of course i feel good physically but emotionally I feel awful.  If I can't lose weight cutting out all grains, processed food, diet cokes, beer/wine, and sugar, and exercising every single day - AND thinking of food more than I ever have before - than WTH am I supposed to do? And if I'm honest....I'm embarrased too.

I'm sorry for all the negative venting - I'm really trying not to vent to my husband any more for the next 6 days so this was my outlet!

(btw - I have read the "'tough love" article about It's not the Whole20, etc a dozen times!) 

Hey all, since I started a day ahead, yesterday was officially my last day. I have to admit that the last week or so was rough for me. I had cravings like crazy, but I stuck it out and finished strong. I feel amazing!

My scale doesn't have batteries today so I didn't get to weigh myself, but I'll tell you that yesterday and today I put on pants that were super tight around Christmas time and now are loose, so I definitely notice a change for sure. I like the way I feel so much more. I'm not weighed down by the things I eat anymore. Before I would eat until my stomach hurt and feel bloated and gassy, but now I eat until I'm full and then stop. I'm not hungry, and my face has cleared up, my eyes look brighter, I sleep more soundly, and I think I've lost some lbs - bonus!

Other than those things though, I have learned how important it is to eat whole foods. Things that don't necessarily come from a package. Foods that don't have preservatives and chemicals. It still astounds me what these companies try to pass off as food these days. I'm much more aware.

So, I have decided to continue this lifestyle, and the only difference is that I am going to allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. It really hasn't been hard for me to stick to during the week, so I am going to continue, but I do have dinners at friends' houses or dinners out once and a while, and if that happens, I'll allow myself to eat anything. I think that will help me stay on track. We'll see how it goes!

I hope everyone else had some great achievements and noticed some changes! Congrats to everyone for making it 30 days!! It's quite an accomplishment that we all should be proud of!

When I say it's the end of my Whole 30 people keep asking what's next. Nothing. Nothing's changing. I'm going to allow myself some occasional half and half in my coffee and make some healthy paleo treats with added sweetener, but otherwise I have no intention of eating crap again. My sister told me she knows someone else doing a W30 that can't wait to finish and eat some Girl Scout Cookies. That sounds so pointless to me.

On Fridays I always crave pizza. But when I think about eating pizza now I think about what's in the crust and some of the toppings and I can't imagine putting that in my body and allowing myself to feel miserable just because something tastes good. In the past I've eaten things I knew bothered me with the caveat that I knew what I wast getting into and it was my fault if I felt miserable. That was so stupid.

Next week is a co-worker's birthday. I'm planning to make her a dark chocolate flourless cake with honey cream cheese icing to prove to her that eating healthy can taste good.

Tomorrow, to celebrate finishing my first W30 I'm going to treat myself to a Breve. 

I started a day earlier, however, we are all now finished. Congratulations on completing the Whole30 challenge. For me I'm extending my Whole30 for another week. I have a marathon this weekend and I don't want to change anything dietary related. I must say, I don't have any motivation or desire to try any "forbidden" foods. I consider myself lucky, because I never had any cravings during the last month. I've really enjoyed cooking and have improved my meal prep skills. 

I'm not saying I won't go through the reintroduction phase, I  need to figure out what I want to introduce first. I'm thinking about rating what foods I really want to eat and that are worth while eating Thinking back to how I would feel after eating certain foods encourages me to continue eating paleo style. I am looking forward to being able to "paleofy" some items to learn more recipes. 

What's the biggest change or improvement you've noticed from doing the whole30 ? 

Archived