Jumping on the August 1st bandwagon

AthenaKate

I have been doing the paleo for about six weeks and want to really hit it hard after a binge type session this past week.

I am 37, the mother of two daughters and the wife of a soldier in the Army. I am also 80 pounds overweight, down from 100, and am training for my first triathlon in September. I have gone from barely managing to walk 1.5 miles in 40 minutes, hacking and gasping the entire distance, to running 3 miles in 50 minutes in these six weeks. I went from being barely able to make it from one end of the pool to the other to being able to slam out 500 meters in about 18 minutes, and I can even get on a bike now, that in itself is HUGE. I have dropped two pants sizes and feel so...much...better.

My daughter had been placed on the paleo by her neurologist, independently of me going on it, and hates it and me but she will deal with it. (She already has a huge list of fast food she is going to eat the first day she moves out of the house, she's 13...) My husband loves it and honestly I think the reason his run times are getting faster are not just because he is pushing harder but because I am feeding him fuel not fat and starch. The youngest daughter is sure I am trying to kill her and begs everyone she sees for a tiny bit of sugar...she'll learn to deal too.

I have organized my Whole30 by deciding not to do a two shopping trips throughout the month, instead I have decided how much I want to spend per day and will shop every couple days or so that I can buy the freshest meats and produce and not have to worry about it spoiling. My daughters do eat some whole grains, brown rice and oatmeal, and I will continue to make that for them, I have no worries about wanting to binge on brown paste...oatmeal, and I am good with saying no to the rice as well. Dairy will be my hardest thing, that and diet pepsi, but I have decided to just keep it all out of the house for the next 30 days at least. I don't have problems with not buying it, just eating it if it is in the house.

I taped myself and weighted myself yesterday and have placed both the tape and the scale in the garage where they will remain until the end of the month. I have been spending too much time weighing myself of late and want this to be about a life style change not a number.

I am long winded, obviously, so I will bid thou ado, and if anyone still needs or wants a buddy, I am here.

Hi Kate,

That is so awesome! I have 100 lbs to lose, have been training for a super-sprint triathlon that is on September 8th. I just decided to do the Whole30 for August. I have been mostly paleo for a year and a half, but have struggled with the sugar stuff and have some chronic thyroid issues. I have three stepkids, so I understand what you are going through. I can also relate about the bike thing. I can only ride my roadbike for three miles so far but that is better than nothing, right? Anyway, thank you for posting, and I look forward to hearing about your process.

Archived