Badwolf's W30

Badwolf

W30 goal:  Improve digestion

I know this isn't exactly a S.M.A.R.T. goal, but I believe it's one that will work for me.  (:

For the first week of the program, I will do my best to log my food everyday.  However,  I don't wish to stress myself out over it (which is something I'd totally do!).  I'm also going to log how I'm feeling and how my day went.

Day 1

Woke up after a little less than eight hours of sleep, feeling a bit blah, but looking forward to the program.

Breakfast

-three eggs* fried in clarified butter** with salt

-kale wilted in clarified butter with salt

-butternut squash with clarified butter, cinnamon, and (a different kind of) salt

-a mug of homemade bonebroth

Lunch

-ground beef cooked in coconut milk with spices, lime juice, and cashews

-over kelp noodles

-green leaf lettuce with olive and s&p

-1/2 bottle GT's Gingerade kombucha

*I get the highest quality eggs and meat I can.  Pastured, grass-fed, organic, etc.  Also, I support animal rights, so I will never eat factory farmed animals.

**Right now, I absolutely LOVE clarified butter.  I've been making my own for a few months and use it at nearly every meal.  And you know it's the organic, grass-fed kind.  (;

My breakfast is pictured below.  I'm not sure why it's sideways...

post-38868-0-25685500-1391953686_thumb.j

So I had a bit of a fall into a sleeve of Cadbury digestives misstep yesterday.  Decided I want to change a couple other things with this W30 anyway, so I'm going to start today.

The things I'm changing:

Although improving my digestion is my actual goal, my measurable and timely goals are

-stay away from social media (besides this forum) for the duration of the program

-read ISWF from beginning to end

YAY!

Day 1

Had to get up early to take my dog to the vet for a teeth cleaning.  Thought I slept enough, but p'haps not.

Breakfast

-same as yesterday (with green tea instead of bone broth) because I LOVE leftovers   :D

Lunch

-ground beef cooked in coconut milk with spices, lime juice, and cashews

-over kelp noodles

-two raw carrots

Was pretty tired at work today, but made it through despite everyone eating sweets and things!  YAY!

Dinner

-canned tuna

-wasabi SeaSnax Go pack

I get back late from work, so it's nice to have a small meal.  Breakfast and lunch are usually much larger meals for me.  (:  Also, I usually have another veggie, but tonight it didn't work out that way.  /:

Day 2

Woohoo!

Woke up before my alarm this morning.  Felt that I needed more sleep, but I probably got at least eight hours.  Had some weird food dreams too, though I can't remember them now.  I'm feeling a bit more confident about this W30 now.  (:

Day 1!

Breakfast

-three eggs fried in clarified butter with salt

-green beans sautéed in clarified butter with salt and garlic powder

-sweet potato with clarified butter

Lunch

-chicken baked with clarified butter and salt (I really should just start abbreviating this)

-brussel sprouts with c.b. and s.

-two raw carrots

-1/2 GT's Gingerade kombucha

Dinner

-canned tuna

-asparagus with c.b. and s.

Work was crazy busy but fun and my throat started feeling sore in the evening.  Went to bed asap after dinner.

Day 2

Woke up after about nine hours of sleep.  Throat still sore, but not feeling worse.  Def felt that I needed more sleep though.

Breakfast

-three eggs with c.b. and s.

-left over asparagus

-sweet potato hash

-green tea

Now time to go shovel the driveway and take the dog to the park!   :D

Lunch

Went to Plum.

-split the dinner sashimi platter with a friend (did not partake in the wasabi or soy sauce!)

-mixed greens salad with olive oil and sesame seeds

Spent the afternoon at the Pittsburgh Auto Show.  They had some deep fried-smelling snacks, but I found myself not really caring about them.   :D  Walked around a lot and decided what my next few cars are gonna be.  (;  Started feeling sicker and more tired just before we left.

Dinner

-left over chicken

-green beans sautéed in c.b., salt, and garlic

-raw carrot

-1/2 GT's citrus kombucha

Family came to visit for the weekend.  So far I have successfully avoided eating junk with them!  lol

Day 3

Woke up still sick; no better, no worse.  Needed more sleep, but slept at least eight hours.  Also, I keep waking up with Madonna songs stuck in my head...Yeah.

Breakfast

-three eggs with c.b. and s. (my favorite part of breakfast!)

-left over green beans

-sweet potato hash with c.b., s., and garlic powder

-green tea

Wasn't hungry when my family were having lunch (it was a bit early for me) and was going to the Whole Foods with my roommate, so I took a Primal Pac along to make sure I wouldn't be starving when we went grocery shopping.  lol!

Lunch

-Primal Pac

Started feeling a bit sicker this evening, but also seem to be getting over the cold...  Had two cups of Numi tea today and am making chicken bone broth this evening.

Also:  Had some cravings today, but didn't feel much like indulging because of being sick.  I think the cravings were more due to boredom than to the fact that there are French pastries, doughnuts, and cupcakes sitting on the kitchen table (darn family!).

Lastly, my stomach is already visibly flatter!   :D

Dinner

-chicken baked with c.b. and s.

-mushrooms sautéed in c.b. and Red Boat fish sauce (AWESOME!)

-red lettuce with olive oil and salt

-1/2 GT's citrus kombucha

Feeling sicker.  Blergh.  Going to bed before 9:30.  Yesssss.  (:

Day 4

Legit sick.  Woke up feeling worse than before (despite about nine hours of sleep), though I can sort of breathe out of my nose.  My whole body feels inflamed; my glands are swollen, and my neck and knees hurt.  When I bend over, I feel like my head is going to explode!  It's starchy veg, tea, and chicken broth (made using the ISWF recipe) all day today.

Breakfast

-kale with c.b. and s.

-sweet potato hash with salt and garlic powder

-green tea

Still can breathe out of my nose pretty well, but that I-feel-like-death feeling is still there.

Lunch

-left over chicken

-left over green beans

-red leaf lettuce with olive oil, s & p

Had some chicken bone broth.  It was magical.   :wub:

Dinner

-burgers fried in bacon fat with garlic powder, s & p

-asparagus sautéed in c.b. and s.

-ditto zucchini

Day 5

Slept at least eight hours.  Woke up feeling much better today, though still have that sick feeling going on.  My nose is mostly clear and I seem to be coughing more (good sign!).

Breakfast

-kale with c.b. and s.

-sweet potato with c.b.

-chicken broth

Lunch

-left over burgers

-left over asparagus

Dinner

-left over chicken

-left over green beans

-left over zucchini

Yay left overs!!

Was pretty awake at work today.  It was a good day.  (:  Had some temperature issues, hot cold hot cold...but I'm sure that's due to being sick.  Also had some GI craziness...I think that's the W30.  lol

Day 6

Had to get up a bit early for a meeting.  Was actually woken up by my alarm, instead of before it.  Not sure I slept very well, but probably still got eight hours.  Had a weird allergic reaction or something just before falling asleep.  My mouth got all itchy and puffy on one side.  Very weird.  Also, my lower back has been hurting and I woke up with it pretty sore this morning.

Breakfast

-kale with c.b. and s.

-sweet potato with c.b.

-green tea

Lunch

-left over chicken

-left over zucchini

-raw carrot

Stuffiness persisted all day and I had to blow my nose about a million times.  Boo.  I have not been this sick in years.  Though I haven't been tired at all...I'd like to thank the W30ing for that, I think.

Dinner

-canned tuna with olive oil

-SeaSnax wasabi Grab & Go

-apple

-chicken broth

Hmm.  Need to cook up some more protein for the next few days.  And restock on veggies.  It's amazing how quickly one goes through such things!  ;P

Day 7

Had almost nine hours of sleep.  I'm falling asleep pretty quickly, despite being sick.  I feel much better today!  Yay!  I had some cravings yesterday evening and last night, but nothing too crazy.  I rarely have thought about non-compliant foods since a week ago.  My family even bought me some sweets, but the thought of eating them didn't really doing anything for me.  AWESOME.  I've struggled with emotional eating and binge eating for 15+ years, so to have the ~magic~ be kicking in this quickly is so very encouraging to me!  Also, I've noticed my outlook on things has changed.  I'm much happier and have a sunnier disposition.   :D  :D  I wonder if next week will be better or worse...

Breakfast

-kale with c.b. and s.

-sweet potato hash with c.b., s & p, garlic powder

-chicken broth

Lunch

-left over chicken

-left over green beans

-wasabi SeaSnax Grab & Go

Dinner

-canned Wild Red salmon

-zucchini fried in clarified butter with salt

-raw carrot

-1/2 GT's Trilogy kombucha

Bit of craziness at work today.  Got home later than normal.  Was pretty tired by the end of my shift.

Day 8

WEEK ONE DONE!!  WOOHOO!  (Well Fed books, here I come!)

Was woken up in the middle of the night by a scary dream.  I've noticed that when I eat well I usually have nice dreams.  When I eat poorly and don't take care of myself, I have scary (usually zombie) dreams.  So woke up, after thankfully falling back asleep, feeling tired and a bit deathy again.  However, I noticed that I was breathing out of my nose (yay!), and didn't have to blow my nose at all this morning.  I'm getting better!!   :D   :D

Making more clarified butter today.  This stuff is legit.  I actually like it better than regular butter!  It's so much easier to cook with because it doesn't burn, and I really enjoy making it.  (:

As I mentioned before, I'm only going to log my food for the first week.  I may log my food for one day each week for the rest of the program, but it gets pretty samey when you cook for the week and mostly eat left overs.  lol

~

Having some slight cravings today.  I think because I'm a little stressed and somewhat bored.

Day 9

Went to bed before nine last night (AWESOME!), had to be up for the early shift this morning.  Still didn't feel that I had enough sleep though.  Today is a long day with no official break at work, so I'm not sure how to get my Meal 2 (lunch) in.  Sometimes I'll have time to scarf a small Primal Pac, but most days I prefer to eat a big breakfast and just have an early dinner when I get home.  Since going paleo, it still blows my mind that I'm able to go 9+ without eating and not have a hypoglycemic attack.  When I was a vegetarian, I wouldn't have made it even four hours without needing something!

~

Made it all the way through the work day (it was crazy busy!) without a major drop in blood sugar.  Had a small Primal Pac after we closed.  Have been having some minor cravings.  I think it's just from not eating for so long and getting up early.

Now going to have a good dinner.  (:

Day 10

Had about nine hours of sleep and woke up sometime after seven.  (:  Am enjoying a nice breakfast with chicken instead of eggs!  haha  I now have too many protein sources in the fridge and need to start using them up!  My belly is considerably smaller already and I feel that I have more energy, and the positive outlook thing is what got me to finish my taxes yesterday.  lols

~

Almost better from my cold!  Still have to blow my nose every once in awhile, but it's a bit more controllable now.  lol  The death feeling has completely gone away, and I'm able run upstairs without becoming winded.  I can only imagine how this cold would've gone if I hadn't been W30ing.

Had a some cravings going on today when my roommate and I went up to the Wexford Whole Foods.  I looked longingly at all the delicious things, but abstained!  I feel that my cravings lately have been more due to boredom and habit, than anything else.

Also:  My lower back and knee feel MUCH better already.  I also was having some teeth/gum sensitivity that seems to have mostly gone away!

~

Had some more cravings today (was just bored).  My brain was looking at every angle to see how I could justify eating junk again.  Oy vey!

I've noticed that I rarely get hungry before my meals.  I'm rarely hungry at all!  I think I've only been properly hungry twice since starting this W30.  Could I be eating too much (I don't feel that I am).  Or maybe this will sort itself out as the W30 continues?  Or maaaybe once I start working out again things will feel right.  Or p'haps I'm just so used to being hypoglycemic, that my body barely recalls what "normal" is.

Made a batch of my own "curry" recipe for the week.  So delish!

Recipe:

1 lb. ground beef

1/2 can coconut milk

1/2 lime

1 Tbs. curry powder

closed handful of cashews

optional:  throw some steamed sugar snap peas on top

Cook 'til meat is all brown, squeeze lime in at end and throw cashews in at end if you don't want them too soft.  Serve over cauliflower rice or kelp noodles!

Day 11

One third of the way there!!

Woke up after 9+ hours of sleep.  Had a few strange dreams...one about eating candy necklaces (haven't eaten or thought about them in yeeears), but finally felt pretty rested.  (:  Today's going to be a good day.   :D

~

Today was TOTALLY a good day!  We had all hands on deck (donno why) at work today, but were pretty slow.  I had all nice customers and got to help with one of my favorite tasks.  (:

Now, early to bed, and early to rise tomorrow.

Day 12

Early shift today.  Set my alarm for six, but woke up before it (...??!).  So less than eight hours of sleep, but I'm feeling all right.  (:

~

Had a great day at work today!  Felt pretty good all day, though was a little tired at points.  We were super slow and over staffed, so the day kind of dragged.  The difference in not getting enough sleep while eating well is amazing, compared to not enough sleep while not eating well!  I can't believe how much energy I have just because I'm eating how my body wants to be fueled.  Also, I easily went five hours from lunch to dinner without having any blood sugar issues or lulls in energy.   :D

Day 13

Fell asleep really quickly last night; slept at least nine hours.   :D  Though woke up kind of tired.  Dreamt that I'd eaten several non-paleo things and felt HORRIBLE after. I love these kinds of dreams because they remind you that it's not worth going off plan for unimportant foods.  I also dreamt that I was on vacation with my coworkers and was telling them about the paleo diet because they all kept complaining about their ailments.  lol!

Also, my body feels amazing!  I don't know how to describe it other than that.  I can say that my teeth sensitivities have all but gone away, and my knee isn't hurting as bad, and my lower back has loosened up, and I have more energy, and my mood has improved...but it's more than those things.  As cheesy as this sounds... I feel renewed.

I really feel that this is becoming a lifestyle, not just a "diet."  Though, I've felt that way before and wasn't able to keep it going.  This time though, I feel that I am able to!  I'm giving myself as much ammo as possible (re-reading ISWF, buying the Well Fed books, listening to the Balanced Bites podcast).  I think this is what's helping me stick to the plan the most.

~

Got a bit tired at work today, but overall felt good and happy.

Also, I've noticed that my back cracks less and that it's easier to do handstands (I try to do one against the wall each day).  Another random thing I've noticed is that when I started re-reading ISWF, I got cravings for the non-compliant foods mentioned in the book.  It was as if because I was being told I shouldn't eat those things, I wanted them.  >_<  It's not as bad now, but I think it's because the logic of it all is finally sinking in.

Day 14

Slept about nine hours, but went to bed a bit depressed due to some personal things.  Pretty sure I would've been more depressed (enough to eat some junk food!) if I hadn't been W30ing though!  I feel better this morning, but still feel that I needed more sleep.  Oh and my cold is 99% gone!

GI tract is still figuring things out, but I think we'll get there eventually!

A LOT of bloating/inflammation/something has gone down around my middle.  It makes me wonder if it was all inflammation, or if I've lost some fat too.  Whatever it is, it's exciting!   :D   :D

~

My work pants are already considerably looser!  I think I'm going to have to go shopping at the end of this W30 because my pants will be falling off me!

Had some minor cravings today.  I think it's just boredom and stress.  Darn stress!

I was kind of tired today, but it was more of a consistent tired than yesterday's random tiredness.  I think this whole healing thing is going to take longer than 30 days.  I'm considering extending my W30 to a W45 or W60, but I tend to have trouble with commitment.  I end up feeling trapped and then dive face first into a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  Sooo we'll see how I feel on Day 30.   ;)  (...Though right now I feel like I'm riding my own bike!)

Day 15

Slept pretty well last night, though I dreamt about eating candies (my roommate brought home chocolates yesterday!) and finding sunken treasure with Scrooge McDuck and his nephews...yep.

Got a call back yesterday from the CrossFit gym I'm interested in joining!   :D   :D  I'm still struggling with affording it and finding time to go, but I think I'll work it out.   ;)

~

Work was horrendous! Luckily most of our customers were nice and understanding.

last day of the month + pay day + impending blizzard = everyone is out!

Day 16

Had about nine hours of sleep, woke up still slightly tired.

Extremely depressed this morning.  Was angry all morning.  Had a nice breakfast, then took the dog to the park.  Felt really depressed just before taking him to the park.  Came home and sat down to read, but just sat there for about an hour.  Felt that the only thing that was going to snap me out of it was sugar.  Very nearly caved, but didn't.

Depression is weird.  I don't recommend it.

~

REALLY struggling today.  Just went on the weekly shopping trip and wanted everything non-compliant!

Day 17

I almost can't believe I made it through yesterday.  It was rough.  I talked with my mom about it last night and she helped a lot!  She's a nurse and is very familiar with paleo and the Whole9 way of eating.  I'm so lucky to have a good support system in the real world.

Slept 9-9.5 hours last night and woke up not feeling tired for once!  Yay!

~

Making Nom Nom Paleo's Korean short ribs today!!  So escited!  This is perfect for a day like today!  So many exclamation points!!

~

Eating a TON of fat when sugar cravings hit is a total miracle!  It's as if my body is searching for fuel, but is confused as to what to use...so I eat a ton of fat and it's just like, "Yeah, ok, I'll use that."   :D

~

Have had good energy all day, though didn't do much (I'll blame the weather).  Got some more reading of ISWF completed.  Cooked some foods for the week and snuggled with the doggie.

I am still not really getting hungry between meals.  Though I'm pretty sure I'm not eating too much (or too little).  I'll be joining a CrossFit gym at the completion of this W30...I'm sure that'll ramp up my appetite!

Also:  Yum short ribs and cauliflower!  (See attached photo)

post-38868-0-71428700-1393809671_thumb.j

Day 18

Slept at least eight hours last night.  Coulda used more.

Afraid I might be getting tired of good food.  Hmm.  Must find new foods to try.

~

Soooo ready to quit today!  Quit the W30, quit my job, quit!  Work was ridiculous!  Suffice it to say, something got messed up and it was horrible for everyone.  I was barely impacted.  Others were not so lucky.  Still, tensions were high (and someone called off), so it was a difficult day.  Though it flew by!  lol

Anywho...  Just wanted to come home and fall into a box of cookies after work.  ::sigh::

I'm having surf and turf instead...

-leftover burger

-canned tuna

-butternut squash with clarified butter, salt, and cinnamon

-brussel sprouts with salt and clarified butter

(;

Day 19

Dreamt last night that I stopped W30ing and ate a TON of non-compliant foods.  Not worth it.  The worst part was being disappointed in myself and feeling that I had lost all the ground I'd gained.  Glad it was just a dream though!

Having some digestion issues....puffy belly, feeling bloated before going to bed, and feeling that I've gained weight around my middle.  Usually by this point, things have figured themselves out.  Mayhaps, I just did that much damage in the past few months.  I have been drinking kombucha about every other day, and have made two batches of bone broth so far (one beef, one chicken).  Will be making more beef bone broth this week.  I could be doing more to slow down when eating and chew more.  I think the biggest thing though is the stress of my job!  Oy vey!

~

Was exhausted after today!  Donno why, really...  Still healing, I guess!

Day 20

Still exhausted, though slept at least eight hours.  I'm thinking I'm not getting good sleep.  Didn't help that the dog was taking up prime real estate on the bed.  He is not a large dog and I have a queen-sized bed...I'm not sure how this happens!

Anyway...

Still feeling stressed and over-worked.  I just want to take a day off to run around the park with the dog, and sit in front of the T.V. with a bunch of junk food.  Yep.

I think I just need to work on managing stress.  My eating has been amazing...  Three meals per day everyday, no snacking.  LOTS of fat and at least two veggies with every meal.  I've only had fruit three or four times since day one, and nuts have been kept to a minimum.  I do my best to get to bed before ten, though when I work late, a few times it's been ten thirty, and I've been waking up between seven and eight.

I'm still experiencing GI issues.  And over the past few days, I have had sudden pains in my abdomen.  I haven't experienced this since before I was a vegetarian and would eat bad (think, McDonalds) meat.

I'm considering taking cruciferous vegetables and garlic out of my diet to see if that helps (my relatives sometimes have issues with these, so I wonder if they could be causing an issue for me too), and getting serious about drinking kombucha and bone broth everyday.  Maybe I should just wait until Day 30 to do some tweaking.  I don't plan on doing the reintroduction schedule as I don't really miss any off-plan foods besides sugar (which I know isn't good for me!).

~

Exhausted after work again (wasn't even a stressful day!).

Archived