Jody's 1st Whole 30

jmvoelk

Whole 30 (Feb. 13, 2014

Today we start the Whole 30 in earnest and with the help of our Lord we will keep this commitment. My weight and my blood sugar are spiraling and I truly believe that this is my last chance at getting my health and my body under control.

I am so looking forward to having more energy, feeling good and looking like I am living instead of just existing! Looking forward to getting my diabetes under control and off of so many meds that I have to take every day now. 

Yesterday we went to Red Robin for Teri's birthday sandwich and then on to Fife where Teri turned in her mini Cooper, ending our trip at Costco to get groceries. My calves gave me such fits that I had to stop walking a couple of times in the store and once on the way back to the car. I refuse to give in to the thought that since I am 77 yrs old I should walk like am on my last legs. I looked at so many elderly people in Costco who are crippled, including one poor lady who had such mis-shapen hands that she couldn't hold onto anything or pick anything up with her fingers. My heart broke for her! As we were leaving the store an elderly couple were walking so slow and appeared to be unsteady behind another older gentleman who was walking with a cane and barely shuffling along. I suspect that they are older, perhaps in their 80's but that is not too far away from me and I do not want to be in that shape if there is anything in the world that I can do to prevent it. Granted, I did NOT eat properly at lunch, eating onion rings, fries and half a Burnin' Love hamb. and then eating popcorn and chocolates for dinner..... One Last Fling, which has been our theme for the last several weeks! So dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, this is the “first day of our new lives†as Teri says.  

Breakfast:

Southwestern Egg Beaters, scrambled

1/4 avocado, sliced

saute'd Normandy vegetables

Lunch:

Celery sticks

organic baby carrots

orange

Walnuts

Supper:

2 Aidell sausages

6 asparagus spears 

3/4 cup green beans

1/2 banana

The day hasn't gone too badly except that we were still exhausted from the hectic few days we've had. I did catch myself thinking about weighing myself after we got home from town to see if I had lost any water weight. Will put my scales away so I don't step on them unthinkingly. 

We are going to Kelly's for lunch tomorrow so we have to make some dressing for the salad she is making in the morning. I had found one called Italian Parmesan that sounds good so we will try it sans the cheese and sweetener tomorrow.

Day 2: I slept better last night than I have for quite some time. I suspect that not being over-full and no carbs helped!

Breakfast:

Southwestern eggbeater scramble

1/2 cup pork crumbles

Salsa (homemade with no sugar)

1/2 cup steamed green beans

1/4 avocado sliced.

cinnamon coffee

Lunch:

Spinach Salad w/1 hardboiled egg

Oil and Vinegar Italian dressing

orange and hazelnuts

Supper:

2 thick slices London Broil

Saute'd Portabella Mushrooms

Steamed green beans 

We didn't go to Kelly's for lunch since two of the boys are sick again and Kelly has a scratchy throat. I made the dressing and think we need to get the light olive oil for the next batch since the Olive Oil flavor was pretty strong and the dressing was a bit oily in taste and texture. I watered it down a bit with Paul Newman Oil and Vinegar dressing and loved the flavor and texture then. 

Felt really tired and listless today, sort of in a fog. Also suffered with thoughts of snacking while watching the Olympics tonight. I didn't have any particular craving, just the thoughts of snacking on something.

Day 3: Slept better again last nite but did have some lower back discomfort in the early morning hours. Was so sleepy when reading my Devotions and Bible that I gave up after only being up an hour and went 

back to bed. Slept for another hour but still felt groggy when getting up again.  

Breakfast:

Southwestern Omelet with ground pork  

Homemade salsa

Steamed Normandy Vegetables

1/4 avocado, sliced

I blended the chunky salsa I canned this last summer with some of the store bought canned diced jalapeno and it gave it a nice kick. I will try some that I made in 2012 that was too bland for our taste after this jar is gone. The jalapeno peppers were too mild that year and in addition, we have found that we like our salsa blended rather than chunky too. Yay, I just may have saved what I had canned before and that makes me very happy! 

Lunch:

Spinach Salad w/ hardboiled egg

Oil and vinegar italian dressing 

Supper:

Several slices of London Broil

Asparagus

Cucumbers and Onion in Vinegar

Tried to take another nap around 1:30 but only dozed a couple of times. Called my brother Don early this evening and found that he has been in the hospital again for a week and will probably be there another week due to the infection in his open wound from the surgery. I am extremely upset and very worried about him. Lord, I claim your healing blood flowing through him and over him! 

Felt too tired to read at 10:00 or a bit later but have only dozed off and on until getting up at 12:10 a.m. and adding these comments to my blog. I will go back to bed in a minute and try to read more of “It Starts With Food†until I can't keep my eyes open. 

Day 4: Kind of a rough night and woke up with my lower back feeling pretty weak and testy. Sat in the recliner and dozed a bit before fixing my breakfast and watching ICLV on the internet. Afterwards

I went back to bed for about an hour. 

Breakfast:

Southwestern omelet

Crumbled pork w/sage

Salsa

Steamed green beans & carrots

Lunch:

Orange

Hazelnuts

Hardboiled egg

organic carrots

1 large tbs. pineapple tidbits

Supper:

1 Pork Chop

Tossed Salad 

Oil and Vinegar Italian Dressing

Felt a bit bloated and gassy after supper tonight. Don't know what the problem is. We were going to have shredded pork for supper but TJ forgot to read the ingredients on the can of peppers in adobo sauce before adding it to the pineapple mixture that she poured over the shredded pork. Discovered that it had a small amount of sugar in it which was bad enough but also that it had Soy Oil too so we gave it to Kelly for her family supper and had pork chops instead. 

Am hoping for a better night tonight and hoping that this gaseousness goes away! Have a bit of a headache right now so will take some Ibuprofen before going to sleep.

Day 5: I did have a good night, Thank You Jesus! I'm hoping for a good day today as well. Teri didn't have a good night though. I can't help but wonder if her added muscle spasms, aches and pains are a result of cleansing her system from the excess of sugary cough drops, candy, etc. Jesus please help her, heal her and give her some good rest. 

Breakfast:

1 Pork Chop

1/4 cup Mango Salsa

Southwestern omelet

1 Tb. homemade salsa

1/4 Avocado, sliced

I made the Eggbeaters equivalent of 3 eggs and became too full to finish so I gave the pups 1/3 of the omelet and a large slice of the pork chop.  

Lunch:

Spinach Arugula Salad with sliced radish, cucumber, sm. orange pepper, slice of red onion, 

2@ grape & yellow sunburst tomatoes and 1 hardboiled egg

Supper:

Broiled chicken breast

Cooked Spinach w/butter and vinegar

Steamed Green Beans

Had a big scare when I discovered that the California style garlic has sugar in it and we thought we would have to start the Whole30 all over again. Luckily the monitor said we wouldn't have to start over again but we do have to shelve the California blend until after we are all through with the Whole30 challenges, however many we undertake. Teri was also concerned because she felt like she was gaining weight instead of losing but she found out that it happens regularly on the 5th to the 9th day. They said it was caused by your system trying to adjust to all the changes. She also found an old remedy for the muscle spasms which recommends putting soap bars in your bed. Kim said her mother swears by it so it is worth a try. I do pray that she will have a good night's sleep Lord. We are both a bit on the cranky side and I am praying that this too will pass quickly. 

We will have to go to town tomorrow to get another pork roast and some chipotle peppers so she can make pulled pork for our meeting Thursday. I think I will make the Yellow Polka Dot Zucchini salad minus the corn kernals. I pray we won't need anything more until her payday because I will be cutting it thin to have a little cushion for med refills before my next payday.

Thank You Lord that we haven't had some of the really bad weather that they were predicting. I am praying once again for low winds and no fallen trees, power outages or avalanches anywhere near us. We still don't know what that large boom was yesterday morning. It sounded like a big explosion again that shook the walls and the sliding door in the dining area. 

Day 6: Had a bit of a rough night with pain across my lower back. Finally had to take a muscle relaxer about 2 a.m. so I may be a bit groggy today.

Southwestern Omelet

1/4 cup crumbled pork

1/4 avocado, sliced

Steamed green beans

3 strawberries

Lunch 

Tossed green salad with carrots, onions, radishes, sweet peppers, cucumber, olives, 1/4 avocado

Hardboiled eggs

Oil and vinegar Italian dressing

orange

palm full of walnut halves

Supper:

Oven baked Salmon

Steamed Asparagus

I could barely eat my lunch or supper after receiving the message that my brother Don was rushed into ICU last nite due to low blood pressure, unable to breath, water on the lungs and slow functioning kidneys. He had bypass surgery on November 13 and has had one problem after the other since then. He was hospitalized again about 10 days ago to try to clear up an infected chest wound  from the incision. Lord please be with my brother, wrapping him in your arms and causing his body to begin to function the way you created him.  

Day 7: Today is TJ's birthday so we will have the supper of her choice today which will consist of grilled hamburger with Portabella muchroom caps for the "bun", oven carrot fries and zucchini fries. Happy Birthday my darlin" daughter!

Breakfast:

Southwestern Omelet

2 tbs. homemade salsa

1/4 cup crumbled ground pork

Steamed Normandy vegetables

1/4 avocado, sliced

Lunch: 

Salad with Taco seasoned groound turkey

Salsa

Supper 

See above

TJ and I were extremely tired today with lots of back pains and it took a real effort to clean house for our Bible Study tomorrow. Our supper was the hiighlight of our day tho. We both enjoyed it!

Day 8: We were dragging again today but we enjoyed our lunch time with our Bible Study friends who are also doing their Whole30 with us. Poor Barb was feeling even worse than we are! As the Scriptures say: This too shall pass.

Breakfast:

Southwestern Omelet

Carrots and grape tomatoes

Lunch:

Pulled Pork with pineapple/chipotle sauce

Meat Loaf

Yellow Polka Dot Zucchini salad

Monkey Salad (we ate it as dessert)

Supper: 

Welcome!

Do you have a copy of the meal template? Your lunches look light on protein.  When eggs are your protein source, a serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand. For most people that's at least 2 or 3.

Sorry, but it looks like the Paul Newman's oil and vinegar dressing is not compliant, as it can contain soybean oil. http://www.newmansown.com/products/newmans-own-olive-oil-vinegar-dressing/  This would actually call for a restart, as soy is a gut-disrupting ingredient.  Or, call it a Whole35 if that works better for your mindset.

You also mentioned butter in your Day 5 supper. Was that clarified butter or regular butter?  Butter is not allowed on a Whole30, unless it's clarified.

Archived