Superclean Round 2 starting Feb 19 in Aus

paddlepop

Hello Whole30 universe!

I'm beginning my second Whole30 today (Feb 19) after finishing my first one last week. I fell too quickly back into old habits, and would really like to topple them. Also, I feel that while I complied strictly with the rules, I maybe didn't comply strictly with the spirit of the Whole30 by eating a few too many nuts and fruits. In my defence, it's summer here in Aus and peaches and raspberries are in season! During the first Whole30 I lost 1 kg and saw my cholesterol drop from 6.4 to 4.8, which is incredible.

So my aim is 30 days of 3 meals a day according to the protein + veg + fat + seasoning template, without fruit (just 30 days while I starve the sugar imp), and without nuts as a primary fat source. Simple. I actually feel like the Whole30 is a relief because I don't have to think about what to eat, whether I should/shouldn't, how much, etc.

I'm facing opposition from my housemates for this second round as I can't participate in shared cooking. I tried it, but they just don't get the concept of not using generic vegetable oils, or why I can't have raw chocolate, or generally why a little bit of non-compliant stuff matters a lot.

It would be great to talk with you if you relate! Or if you started today, or any other day, or if you're Australian, or from anywhere else... Otherwise I'll just chatter with myself, no worries :)

Goodluck Paddlepop, im still on day 22 od my first whole 30...can relate about the fruit and nuts...i have avoided them as they are my cravings when not on whole 30..ive had them when there has been nothing else for eg cashews as fat when i go out to dinner...

fruit is an addiction for me....

hope it all goes well

Thank you for your well wishes! Day 22, I hope the next 8 days is an easy downhill slide for you. I think peaches, raspberries, dried apricots and prunes were a fallback for me that I should have avoided. Although, as the "worst" things in my diet, still not so bad! I'll try to keep nuts to a condiment, e.g. to add to a stirfry or the Pad Thai from Well Fed (that stuff is so good!)

My raspberries are a bit slow to fruit this year...thats probably a good thing as i will get to eat them....i live prunes and medjool dates...am about to make my daughter some cashew cacao date and coconut balls...on their own they qualify...but unfortunately i shall have to wait those 8 days...

im going to have to watch i dont over indulge as thats been the norm...maybe a once a week treat....

would love to read how you go on your scond with a week off in between...im considering doing this myself...

go girl.... :)

Day 2 finished and I'm happy to report I won them over by making them the afore-mentioned Pad Thai. 

I can't believe this feeling of control - I've never been so simply able to say, 'This is what I'm eating, this is why, and that's that.' Freedom from sugar and snacking even, which is better than the first round. 

Oof those coconut balls sound good! I made some home-made Larabars to take on a hike a couple of weeks ago. But they're out this round just for the sugar thing. 

I hope you're going well and not waiting too hard for the end :)

Thanks jkord5 :) looks delicious! I've cooked a similar thing but without cauli rice - will have to make the effort next time coz it looks amazing. We'll convince them, one meal at a time. You're nearly there, well done. I'm sure you already are but it's definitely worth thinking about what comes after, coz I got to the end without really deciding, and didn't have anything to stick to anymore. Well done on sticking with it!!

Hi Paddlepop,

I started my first Whole 30 on Jan 2nd and didn't finish it because I travelled to Japan for work (home of rice, noodles and soy) and got sick with 10 days to go.  I tried to keep it up while I was in Japan but when I got sick I was done.  I realized after I indulged in all the things I didn't have while on the Whole 30 that I really did feel better when I was Whole 30 compliant so I started a new Whole 30 on February 18th.  I didn't slay the sugar dragon the first time.  The first time around I found myself eating too many fruits and nut and although I am conscious of it I find that I am doing it again. Any tips on avoiding that again would be appreciated.  

Good luck with your journey.  

Buffalo Girl

Hi Buffalo Girl, I would say, just don't buy fruit and nuts if you feel like you can't control yourself around them. That's what I started doing. I'm always so tempted to make a big beautiful fruit bowl but if I don't buy it, I can't eat it. My fruit bowl is filled with tomatoes and limes now. I also keep nuts in tied up bags so I can't get at them mindlessly. Hope you are doing well!

Hey paddlepop  I'm done and dusted!  I've actually been done and dusted for a couple of days but have been crazy busy.

I'm so pleased i found the Whole30 and stuck to it. I actually found it quite easy I think it's in my nature to make a decision and then follow it through.  Haven't gone off plan - I'm saving that for the weekend - some nice Barambah Yoghurt for a treat maybe and of course a glass wine!

I didn't weigh myself before I began but I did just see my nutritionist and I weighed the same I did in October which means I've probably dropped the excess from Christmas/NewYear/Australia Day. I did lose 1.5 inches off both my waist and my hips which seems like a lot but my clothes feel great so maybe I didn't do a dodgy measure!

I'm thinking of just continuing with this way of eating - it makes sense to do so - and just have occasional off plan eating for celebrations .  Good luck with avoiding those nuts!

Archived