Sleeping Terrible!

Aveld

Hi!

I am on my third Whole30 since August. I decided to do one to get rid of my many stomach issues/food intolerances and loved it/loved how I felt so much that I keep eating as a "Whole30'er" would without much of a break.

My only issue I have is that I sleep absolutely terrible. I go to bed between 9:30-10pm and take Natural Calm beforehand, but I wake usually around 3:30-4am tossing and turning until I get up around 5-5:30. My body won't let me sleep any later than 5:30ish.

I do an hour of high intensity yoga once I wake, do not live a stressful life, eat very well (esp since I've been whole30 compliant for awhile now), relax when my son is napping (yet cannot sleep during this time either, even though I'm EXHAUSTED!). It's like my brain won't shut off.

Has anyone dealt with this? Tips? Tricks? Foods to avoid or incorporate to help?

I have a feeling this is hormonal, but thought that the good eating would help... It's failing in that area.

My initial thought is the Natural Calm, although I'm not so sure.  It does activate some people.  I switched to chelated magnesium and take it during the day.  Maybe the Natural calm in the day would be better.

Also, for early morning awakening, you might try some low light and a very calm activity (a dense book, cup of tea) for about 15 minutes before going back to bed.

You will see all kinds of tips here and these may help you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-manufacture-the-best-night-of-sleep-in-your-life/#axzz2tnnwZ191

*Thanks, Physibeth, for the link.

I have had this same problem for most of my adult life.  When I realized that even eating Whole30 for a long time wasn't fixing it, I went to a new doctor - a naturopathic physician (they are not licensed in all states, fortunately they are licensed in my state).  She did extensive testing and discovered that my adrenal system was pretty much kaput.  Very specifically, it was low throughout the day and night, EXCEPT FOR AT 3:00 A.M. when it's supposed to be at its lowest.  She started me on supplements for my adrenal system.  Six months later I do not wake up at 3:00 a.m.  It's a freakin' miracle.

I am sleeping terribly as well - but this is due to overall stress, and has nothing to do with Whole 30. My therapist says it is normal to sleep little when you are overfilled with emotions. To me, Whole 30 is of a huge help, and it helps me get through stuff. I sleep little, but I at least I am strong enough to deal with it.

Thanks for the replies!

I thought it could be the mag, but have experimented taking it different times, not taking at all, etc... And no changes.

This has been an ongoing thing for a couple years, since I had a child.

AmyS, I should look into a different doctor. I used to go to a chiropractor and he said there was an imbalance with my adrenal gland and my current endocrinologist put me on thyroid meds. I might even consider acupuncture.

Anyone ever have any experience with acupuncture?

Archived