Introducing myself

Jill_L

Hello,

This seems like such a supportive group and I thought it might be a good idea to get my feet wet.  I have just finished reading the book and am planning on starting my very first ever whole30 on April 1st.  Why am I waiting until then?  Well, there are a few reasons – 1) We are going on a vacation for two weeks in March and it would be really tough to do during that time and I choose not to set myself up for failure.  2) There are 30 days in April, so it would be perfect for that.  (And I also see the irony in starting on April Fool's Day!   :P )  And perhaps the best reason of all – 3) I am planning on attending the seminar in Salem, NH on March 29th!  I expect I'll come away from that psyched and eager to get started.  Do these seem like good reasons to postpone? 

In the meantime, I am reading, taking notes, letting family and friends know and (hopefully) building a support team.  I think I have a couple friends coming with me to Salem, which will be very helpful in a few ways.  It's a long drive, so we can share the expenses and the driving.  Plus, my hope is they will also want to join me for a whole30 in April and that will be even more supportive. 

I started looking into the paleo lifestyle a while back because I do know a thing or two about myself, and weight and body image have always been very important to me, even though I've mostly failed at it.  One thing is for certain, I have been a sugar junkie.  There are no brakes for me there.  From that realization I began looking into other carbs and the connection was made.  I discovered Mark's Daily Apple, and since January 1st I have not had any sugar or grain (except twice I have had a margarita and also wine a couple times).  I still do dairy and protein powder smoothies and almond milk, and I am not good about buying organic and pastured meat.  (It's tough to find where I live and, I imagine, very expensive relatively speaking.)  So, my whole30 will be focusing on all those things, I think. 

I really want to be a moderator eater, but no matter how many times I try, it doesn't work.  After reading the book, I understand more now.  My hope is that with the completion of a whole30 I will feel so good that I will no longer want to jeopardize that by having foods that seem to hold me captive once I start in on them – that I won't need to use brakes because I'll never get started.  Or, who knows?  Maybe I'll even change my attitude so drastically that I'll be able to allow myself a treat on the rare occasion.  Can our brakes ever get fixed after they have been broken for so long?  (Secretly that scares the heck out of me at this point.  I do not trust myself.) 

So, that's enough about me for today.  Thank you to all who are still here reading and willing to help out the fledglings like me.  I hope to get to know some of you – and maybe even meet you in Salem!   

Jill

Hi Jill!  

My first reaction was "Nooo!!! don't wait until April!", however your reasons are sound and it sounds like you are truly setting yourself up to succeed.  

I too am a sugar junkie.  Not in the ice cream and brownie sense.  I'm a carb-sugars lover.  Pasta and bread, oh with a nice glass of wine would put a smile on my face from here to the moon and back again.  But doing this Whole30 has truly broken my bonds and I feel great!

Your brakes CAN and WILL get fixed.  You've read that in ISWF.  The cool thing is that you don't have to rely on your will power to get you through this.  Make your decision to take care of the only body you're ever going to get and stick to the rules.  Your body will gently stop craving the sugars you love right now.  Really!!!

I wish you well!  You're going to do GREAT!   :D

Hello,

This seems like such a supportive group and I thought it might be a good idea to get my feet wet.  I have just finished reading the book and am planning on starting my very first ever whole30 on April 1st.  Why am I waiting until then?  Well, there are a few reasons – 1) We are going on a vacation for two weeks in March and it would be really tough to do during that time and I choose not to set myself up for failure.  2) There are 30 days in April, so it would be perfect for that.  (And I also see the irony in starting on April Fool's Day!   :P )  And perhaps the best reason of all – 3) I am planning on attending the seminar in Salem, NH on March 29th!  I expect I'll come away from that psyched and eager to get started.  Do these seem like good reasons to postpone? 

In the meantime, I am reading, taking notes, letting family and friends know and (hopefully) building a support team.  I think I have a couple friends coming with me to Salem, which will be very helpful in a few ways.  It's a long drive, so we can share the expenses and the driving.  Plus, my hope is they will also want to join me for a whole30 in April and that will be even more supportive. 

I started looking into the paleo lifestyle a while back because I do know a thing or two about myself, and weight and body image have always been very important to me, even though I've mostly failed at it.  One thing is for certain, I have been a sugar junkie.  There are no brakes for me there.  From that realization I began looking into other carbs and the connection was made.  I discovered Mark's Daily Apple, and since January 1st I have not had any sugar or grain (except twice I have had a margarita and also wine a couple times).  I still do dairy and protein powder smoothies and almond milk, and I am not good about buying organic and pastured meat.  (It's tough to find where I live and, I imagine, very expensive relatively speaking.)  So, my whole30 will be focusing on all those things, I think. 

I really want to be a moderator eater, but no matter how many times I try, it doesn't work.  After reading the book, I understand more now.  My hope is that with the completion of a whole30 I will feel so good that I will no longer want to jeopardize that by having foods that seem to hold me captive once I start in on them – that I won't need to use brakes because I'll never get started.  Or, who knows?  Maybe I'll even change my attitude so drastically that I'll be able to allow myself a treat on the rare occasion.  Can our brakes ever get fixed after they have been broken for so long?  (Secretly that scares the heck out of me at this point.  I do not trust myself.) 

So, that's enough about me for today.  Thank you to all who are still here reading and willing to help out the fledglings like me.  I hope to get to know some of you – and maybe even meet you in Salem!   

Jill

Welcome! I totally agree with you waiting until April 1st. You should do everything you can for success. I would use this time to try some new Whole30 recipes. The best advise I can give you during your whole30 is to make sure you eat enough your first week. If you are a sugar junkie your body is going to go through some withdrawals during the first week. You may be tempted to eat tons of fruit because your sugar dragon will be calling you. I would stuff myself with meat and veggies at each meal and try not to snack. If you need a snack have a mini meal as a snack. I would also have some different kinds of tea that you can drink when you want a sugar fix. Read the labels carefully because some of them have soy or stevia. Good Luck!

Thanks for the support and the tips, Nina and Tina!  I'm glad to know that others think my idea of waiting until April is not a bad one.  I will NOT be changing my mind and backing out.  Between now and then, I will use the time to learn more and get my ducks in a row (the ones that I can, anyway).  I've been reading the posts today about the strange comments from those that don't "get it".  That's been fun and enlightening.  Really glad I found this website...

Archived