binge eating/off plan

jencreech3

I started Feb 3 and got to day 19 and had a glass of wine.  We were at a pizza place and it was either a glass of wine or a big slice of pizza-so I compromised.  I have been compliant ever since and have had no problem with temptations (except for once instance below).

But, my question is how do I handle things when eventually I do add back sugar or any natural sweeteners?   I made cookies for my family this weekend and it took all I had not to eat the cookie dough or warm cookies from the oven.  I know I wouldn't be able to stop with one, so I chose not to eat any at all.

I read the article about Dallas and Melissa not on the whole 365, which did lend some perspective, but I still have lingering doubts in my head.

How do you handle this?  I know that cookies would have led to milk, then to cereal, then to pancakes, to leftover valentines candy, etc.  yuck

I also got on the scale and it was only down 2 lbs.  depressing.  I've put the scale up and I may ask my husband to hide it from me.

Sorry for my rant.  

You handle it one day at a time, one meal a a time, if you have to.  :) 

I encourage you to revisit your goals of why you chose to do a Whole30 to begin with, and see if they're still valid. If so, get back on the wagon, restart at day 1 and recommit to 30 days of Whole30 eating.  Then go through a controlled reintroduction process, so you know how certain foods affect you physically and psychologically.

When you have that data, then you decide how you want to eat going forward.  If you discover certain foods are triggers for you, then you find ways to avoid and limit them - make your own rules for how you will handle those "mine fields".

Two tricks I find helpful are asking myself pointedly "is it worth it?" and reminding myself that I can always have X, Y, or Z another day.  I don't have to have all of the things right now.  I definitely have always struggled with that though, so I feel you. 

My concern though is with this part of your post... why after 19 days did you feel that you had to have either pizza or wine?  Why couldn't you say 'no thanks' to both?  In the Whole30 world, I don't think that wine is any better than pizza.  I would identify what made you feel compelled to break your Whole30 after 19 days of hard work and address that before you start with day 1.

I started Feb 3 and got to day 19 and had a glass of wine.  We were at a pizza place and it was either a glass of wine or a big slice of pizza-so I compromised.  I have been compliant ever since and have had no problem with temptations (except for once instance below).

Why did I wait 19 days then blow it?  I was just done.  Simple as that.  I was tired of the restrictions, tired of the rules and the crazy feelings that I was having that I would be "guilty" if I cheated.    

My reasoning for choosing wine over pizza?  150 calories vs 1500 calories and pizza held really no interest to me.  I also made 1 glass last throughout the night.  I know I'm justifying it, but it was the right choice for me.

I will eventually do a whole30.  But right now I'm going to do what GFChris suggested and take it day by day, meal by meal and make the best choices I can. 

So maybe what you've identified is that the Whole30 isn't for you!  There's nothing wrong with that and no pressure to do another one if you already know you don't like the restrictions, rules and guilt!   I doubt I'll ever do another one, I'm just too dang stubborn to call it quits (and have a couple bets on the line ;) ).

Archived