An Inwood Whole 30

homerfrizzell

Good morning, everyone.

My wife and I started our Whole 30s today; my second, her first.
We've got the ghee and duck fat, hidden the chocolate in the freezer (don't tell her) and tossed the last of the heavy cream. We've been eating pretty well so our main challenges look to be dairy (heavy cream for coffee, cheese, ice cream), sugar (chocolate & ice cream), cutting back on coffee and alcohol (red wine). Wish us luck. 

We are now on Day 6. Last night we fought the urge for chocolate covered almonds, which are not in the house, and red wine. The weekend will be challenging but we're keeping it pretty low key with the exception of a dance performance with wine served after. We will be sure to go for sparkling water and will bring kombucha.
Good luck, all.

On to day 9.
Yesterday had some challenges but it was easier than I thought. Reception after dance I stuck to the vegetables and fizzy water. Then it was dinner out. My father-in-law noticed I wasn't joining him in a glass of Chianti so I explained the Whole 30 and why were doing it and a bit about what we both were fighting during it. Just told it matter of fact, kept it to us so as not come off as preachy. Went really really well.

Last night I dreamt I was eating a tortilla chip.I was on my second bite when I remembered I was on the Whole 30 and would need to start over. I cannot tell you how relieved I was to learn it was just a dream.
I don't generally crave chips though do like salty things. I think this dream was brought on by someone eating corn chips next to me on my subway ride home last night.

Today is Day 19.

My wife says I am less grumpy and I'm down an inch and three quarters around the waist. Me like. I plan to take my time when it comes to reintroducing foods.

Glad to hear you're seeing benefits already!

A gentle reminder on one of the rules: no body measurements during your Whole30.  Hide the tape measure until after your 30 days are over.  :)

Day 27. Good morning, everyone. Last night my wife said she was thinking of continuing on past the 30 days. I was shocked and impressed.

I am supportive and will help her to be compliant though I do plan to add back butter and wine for me.
Good luck, all.

Funny you should mention clarified butter. I had some this morning. I've found ghee tastes a bit more roasted/nutty than the clarified butter.

Last time I did a Whole 30 I made the mistake of rushing the reintroduction phase. This time I plan to take it slowly. I know that even with dairy there are a lot of variables so will take my time adding different types back in but the main thing I miss is butter - heavy cream will be later as will kefir (never tried it), perhaps yogurt and cheeses (hard cheeses first and then the softer ones).

On Saturday (Day 28) we had a friend over for dinner. He asked what he could bring. Rather than try to explain I sent him a link to the Whole 30 and told him he didn't need to bring anything and that he didn't need to worry about going home hungry. When he showed up he had flowers. He said that he would have felt silly showing up with a bouquet of broccoli. Good friend. We served blanched asparagus with home made mayonnaise for dipping, flounder roe sauteed in ghee, winter squash, Brussels sprouts, roasted goose and salad greens from the market with a few raspberries for dessert. It was our only dinner party during the month - I won't lie - it was a challenge. I really do love to have wine during these things, both while preparing and during. It turned out great - he was very understanding and appreciative of the roe (first time for him) and our sending him home with goose and squash.

Yesterday was the last big hurdle, a volunteer meeting where pizza was served. We stuck to the crudite and then had a meal later.

Today is Day 30. Swish! Feeling great and planning on a slow reintroduction.

Have a great day, everybody.

Archived