Year of Health: My first 2014 Whole 30

caitpage

I am so excited to do this Whole 30! Last summer I completed a Whole 30 and it was awesome! I ate mostly Paleo for the rest of 2013, but the holidays took their toll and I'm ready to make 2014 my year of health! I attempted a Whole 30 in January, but didn't finish. I think posting every evening keeps me on track, so that's what I plan on using this thread for.

While it's mostly about weight loss for me, I notice a huge difference in the way I feel when I cut out the bad stuff.

Starting weight: 225.5 lbs (I'm 5'6 and at my best I was about 140lbs)

Current issues: My right heel hurts, my right knee hurts, mild digestive issues, trouble falling asleep and waking up, my complexion is crap - breakouts, oily/dry skin, and I have very little energy no matter how much sleep and caffeine I get.

If you stumble across this diary thread of mine, feel free to comment with tips, suggestions, stories of your own, or whatever is on you mind!

Here I go!

Day 1

Breakfast: Egg scramble with spinach, onions, peppers, and olives. Cooked in coconut oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.

Lunch: Butter lettuce salad with cucumbers, carrots, artichoke hearts and olives. Made a lemon/olive oil dressing. I was too lazy to defrost and cook chicken, so I just fried up two eggs and put them in the salad for protein. I would have preferred shredded chicken.

Dinner: Cracklin' Chicken (I'm a big nomnom paleo fan), which is just pan fried chicken thighs. I used coconut oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Kind of plain, but I didn't want to do anything too fancy and exhaust myself the first night! I also baked some brussel sprouts after chopping them in half and tossing in olive oil/salt/pepper then sprinkled lemon juice on them after they cooked. I know I am supposed to do two different veggies, but I wasn't prepared!

Throughout the day I drank Smartwater and a few Polar brand seltzer waters (cranberry lime flavor). It's my dream to be one of those people who just drink lemon water and green tea all day after a great sunrise yoga session. Yeah right... maybe in 2015.

It was a snow day so I was at home all day. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good, but aware that it's only the first day!

Day 2

Breakfast: Eggs with veggies (same as day 1) with hot sauce.

Lunch: Huge salad (same as day 1) BUT I forgot the chicken :( So, no real protein for this meal. Totally meant to go pay for chicken breast in the cafeteria, but I forgot.

Dinner: Pan fried chicken thighs, baked asparagus (tossed in olive oil, salt & pepper) with lemon juice, and one small sweet potato. I bought a little steamer bag and just had to pop them in the microwave for 9 minutes! Sprinkled some cumin and paprike on it. The best part is that I made enough for lunch tomorrow and it's already packed up and waiting for me to grab in the morning.

I'm a classic procrastinator, so I had a HUGE amount of school work to turn in by midnight. So, after rushing home from work that was all I focused on... no issues with eating well today. I eat more out of bordem and social pressure I think. The procrastinating thing is actually something I would like to change too.

I only recently discovered I liked sweet potatoes and they are so good I have to watch out. I'm going to keep it to only one a few days a week.

I typically drink about a gallon of Dunkin coffee with cream in the morning and I don't like their black coffee enough to drink the same amount, so I was feeling the effects of less caffeine today. It will be worse tomorrow since I need to wake up in six hours. I promise I normally get plenty of sleep, but having a class end on a Tuesday is killing me.

Feeling good today, although tired.

I forgot to add in my first post that my lips and hands are super dry this year. I'm hoping this Whole 30 will help, especially since I'm drinking a lot of water.

Day 3

Breakfast: Eggs with veggies. I'm ok with doing the same breakfast every weekday... for now.

Lunch: Huge salad with one grilled chicken breast and olive oil & lemon dressing. Veggies were cucumbers, carrots, artichokes, olives, and almonds.

Dinner: Half grilled chicken breast, this one dredged in almond flour for fun (cooked two at lunch) with steamed broccoli. Who knew steaming broccoli was so quick and easy? It took 5 minutes once the water boiled! How have I never done this before? Also had half a sweet potato with cumin sprinkled on it!

I realize the only meat I have been eating is chicken... Oops! I threw some shrimp and beef in the fridge to defrost for the rest of the week. I'm optimistic that I won't be getting the "sugar withdrawl" headache... so, wish me luck!

I need some suggestions for fats besides oils. Avacados make me sick, so those are out.

Still feeling good!

Day 4

Today went really well considering my leftovers were pretty gross. Crispy pan fried chicken thighs don't stay crispy FYI. I went to Costco after work and had a loooooong look at the cookies.

Something from either ISWF or on the website that stuck with me: whatever I'm craving will always be there.

Cookies will always be there, wine will always be there, cheese will always be there...etc...

Breakfast: eggs with veggies like normal, but only 3 eggs instead of 4. I think I'll stick to 4. Had two cups of coffee during my commute.

Lunch: leftovers from day 2 dinner. Gross. Glad I threw the other chicken breast half from last night in there.

Dinner: STEAK! Oh man, I forgot how good steak is. The bf cooked up some ribeyes and he has figured out how to get the fat all gooey! Yum! I also had a little salad with butter lettuce, cucumber, artichoke with my oil/lemon dressing. And some leftover steamed broccoli.

I'm a little nervous about tomorrow. We're going to a show tomorrow night. I asked if he would be OK just eating at home before hand so I think that's my plan. I'm lucky he is so supportive! I know I need to brave the real world some time, but I'm not ready.

Day 5

Today sucked. Bad headache, rushed dinner, and the tickets I bought for the show were apparently for last night. I normally would have had a bunch of wine before bed, but I'm here to tell you I stayed compliant. Ugh.

Breakfast: 4 eggs with spinach, onions, peppers, black olives cooked in coconut oil.

Lunch: large salad with romaine, broccoli, peppers, cabbage, eggs and grilled chicken. Oil/lemon dressing.

Dinner: Went to a nice Irish place in Baltimore. Had the corned beef and cabbage (listed as gluten free) and had the dairy mashed potatoes subbed with veggies. Oh, I had a side salad with olive oil too. I forgot to say no croutons so I had to pick them out. I really wanted a beer, but just had iced tea.

Day 6

Slept in pretty late, so breakfast wasn't until 11am...lunch was at 3:30...and we went to a show at night so I didn't eat dinner. :( I just wasn't hungry before we left home and I was too tired to eat when we got back. I might order some pre-made paleo things (rx bars) for times like these, but I tend to lean on them way too heavily if they are around.

Breakfast: 4 eggs with spinach/onions/peppers/olives

Lunch: 1 chicken breast, salad with butter lettuce/cucumbers/carrots/almond slices and lemon&oil dressing.

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow because I'm running low on veggies. Proud that I ate almost all of them, but had to toss one bag of lettuce and some lemons that went bad. I might have to split my wegmans trips to twice a week...

Day 7

Breakfast: 4 eggs, peppers & onions. I also snacked on baby carrots while making the eggs.

Lunch: Salad (butter lettuce, cuc, carrots, almonds, lemon oil dressing) with two pan-fried chicken thighs. Snacked on a handful of olives right after.

Dinner: Rib eye steak and steamed broccoli.

Feeling a bit "blah" today. I blame the time change.

Day 8

I had to fast for a blood lab this am, so I didn't eat breakfast. It's funny...I never used to eat breakfast and I am surprised at how much of a difference it makes! Not just until lunch, but all afternoon I was hungry and craving bread. I don't think I've eaten a piece of bread in months. (I was a tortilla kind of gal!)

Breakfast: None (fasting)

Lunch: Four eggs with spinach, peppers & onions, and olives!

Dinner: Big salad (butter lettuce, cuc, carrots, almonds, lemon oil dressing) and chicken.

I bought some new veggies at the store yesterday that I'm excited for. In one of my journeys through the forums, I saw one girl mention that she did multiple whole 30s and the variety of vegatables was a game changer. So, I know I need to break out of my standard menu. Now I need to look up decent eggplant recipes and "how to cook artichoke," because I don't think I've cooked one in years. I bought an immersion blender recently, so I am looking forward to whipping up a good aioli to go with them.

I finally hit my goal of 2 liters of water today thanks to fizzy mineral water and a splash of lime juice. I have been drinking at least 1 liter a day so far, and I can tell my lips are less dry.

The time change hit me HARD this morning. I'm already sleeping so heavyily during this whole 30... to have to wake up an hour earlier was just not happening so I slept in. I am getting in bed by 9pm tonight so I will at least have a shot at 8 hours before my alarm goes off at 5:30am...

Day 9 quick update!

I noticed something pretty awesome as I woke up this morning. I can breath through my nose like never before! I didn't even realize that I  had been blocked up, but it feels like I just took an allergy pill or something! I'm stoked.

Day 9

Breakfast: 4 eggs/onions/peppers/spinach. I grab two handfuls of spinach and toss it in the pan, but it wilts down so much!

Lunch: Big salad with butter lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, almonds and chicken breast with lemon oil vinagrette.

Dinner: Three eggs and a mini salad (same as lunch minus chicken)

I'm writing a day late because yesterday I was barely home at all. I worked late and didn't get home at 8:30, dinner at 9. That is WAY too late. Luckily I wasn't starving. I was in bed asleep by 10, so that was nice. I swear I require 10 hours of sleep.

Day 10 --- I'm 1/3 of the way there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a late start and I skipped breakfast :( I really didn't want to, but I had a meeting at 9 and I was cutting it close (fyi to get to my work by 9 I had to be out the door by 7:30.... and guess what I was 5 minutes late!) I REALLY need to order some Rx bars or those paleo snack things. Of course I paid for it with all sorts of cravings all day. Never again!

Breakfast: :(

Lunch: Big salad from the cafeteria with cucumbers, green beans, olives, broccoli, and brought my own lemon oil dressing!

Dinner: Brisket - yum - and a side salad

I was even so nice to go to Coldstone for the boyfriend and pick him up some ice cream. I didn't even sneak one lick! :) I think I'm finally feeling "right!" I am falling asleep much quicker now, and even though I don't get out of bed easily... I'm more awake once I do. I can breathe better and my foot didn't hurt when I walked the stairs today.

Day 11

Breakfast: Eggs and veggies

Lunch: Cafeteria salad with my own dressing. Pretty good selection today - roasted eggplant and curry cauliflower in addition to the normal veggies!

Dinner: "Fajitas" I cooked up some skirt steak, peppers and onions and topped it all with green salsa. I made asparagus too.

Day 16

I'm back from a short forum break! (I've stayed 100% compliant) After browsing through a lot of the recent questions in other forums I was seeing too much negativity towards people trying to lose weight. Sure, the Whole 30 wasn't designed with a goal of weight loss, but it's an awesome bonus for those of us who are legitimately overweight. So, if that's what people are here for… SUPPORT THEM, don't judge them. Don't make them feel bad for asking weight-loss related questions. If we all agree that this is the healthiest way to eat, isn't it great that people are using the Whole 30 to lose weight? That's what I'm here for and I won't apologize for it!

Ok… now that I got that off my chest… :)

It is day 16 and I'm feeling great! Day 1 I wore my size 18 work pants (they were a little loose). Today I'm wearing the same pants in a size 14! I really love that I can breathe so easily through my nose and I am falling asleep and waking up much easier now. The only sleep issue I have is that I NEED a full night's sleep. Before, I could get 4 or 5 hours (it was rare, but sometimes necessary) and manage ok. Now? I will literally sleep through the alarm if I don't get at least 7 hours. My skin has been breaking out like crazy, though. I'm pretending that it's just toxins coming through and it will clear up soon. (I have no clue if it's related to changing my eating or just hormonal!)

I resisted the urge to weigh myself yesterday. I know this coming week is going to be the hardest for me to get through because historically I have trouble making it past days 17-20.

In other news, I started working out last week and I am sore all over. I have weights and a treadmill at home so it's nice to actually use them.

Day 22!

I am so happy with my will power! I went to dinner with my girlfriends on Friday night during happy hour and I was OK with just water, meat and veggies. Wine will always be there, right?

I've been working out and that's been hard. I even went on a hike on Sunday! I'm so sore, but it was fun!

I'm still compliant, although I've leaned on RX bars for breakfast a few days when I probably could have made a decent breakfast. I'm also nervous, because I am going on a work trip to Louisiana next week for work. I'll be there for days 28, 29, and 30... Yikes!

Archived