Lifting the Weight

Intrepid4

Day 7.

Woke up feeling pretty bummed, and was going to skip breakfast, but belatedly decided that it would be in my best interest to eat something. So I had a small chicken thigh, and part of a sweet potato with c butter. Decaf coffee.

Lunch: Mad Dog invited me over for a walk and lunch. We walked for about a half hour on the nearby college campus, and that helped my mood. Then she made lunch for me: leftover choc chili that she had made the night before! I can't seem to get away from the stuff. It didn't upset my reflux though, so that was good. Also had half an avocado, half a banana and some pecans. Oh, and sweet potato chips. And I was griping about a headache, so she made me some cold brew coffee. So much for my honorable attempt at going decaf today.

Dinner: the last of the chicken thighs, cauli and onion. Now I have to shop/cook tomorrow; I'm all out of leftovers.

I really wish I could get my moods under control. I'm taking meds, which I would love to get away from if I could even things out with diet and exercise. But that doesn't seem to be happening. It's been a lifelong thing, though, so I guess I can't expect 30 days -- or even 60 -- to fix it. Oh, well. At least I'm not trying to self-medicate with ice cream. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My moods are all over the place, too!  Years of trying to figure it all out.  No sugar is so far my best remedy along with high doses fish oil.  Thinking it is the EPA in there so I sometimes shell out the $$ to buy Nordic Naturals EPA Xtra

hang in there!  Self medicating with food is a hard cycle to break.  

I might check into the fish oil. Thanks for the suggestion, Pam.

Day 8.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, lots of Swiss chard. 3/4 decaf coffee.

Another day of struggling with moods. Makes it very hard not to skip meals. For lunch I had a bowl of berries. Not even an attempt at maintaining the template, but at least I ate.

Dinner: beef stew w/onions and spinach.

Going to see a naturopath tomorrow. Maybe she can help me get a better idea of what I might need to do nutritionally to boost my health.

Definitely use fish oil!  Nordic Naturals is a great brand.  Better than flax oil (but Barleans is awesome) for Omega 3s because our body is not efficient at turning the fatty acids in flax (ALA) into useful Omega 3s (EPA/DHA).  

Liquid is by far the most economical, but not the most fun to take.  I shoot for between 1-2g per day of EPA/DHA but when I was transitioning off of anti-depressants 10 years ago I used closer to 4g per day. 

I'm trying to eat more wild pacific caught salmon, too.

The herb Rhodiola Rosea is also supposed to be nice.  I have it but forget to take it regularly.

Archived