dana

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope--raw stalks are fine. but, again, the greens are poisonous (and they are generally chopped off in stores).

even with the stalks, i only eat a small bit in one sitting because it's a pretty powerful laxative if you overdo it.

Glorious Play Day today. Started with a bikram double (3 hours, lots of stretch & sweat). Ended with crossfit class (snatches, pullups, dumbell squats, a rope climb, and a few random things thrown in on the side).

Meals were fairly light and featured fish. First, for lunch: canned tuna mixed with EVOO, olives & olive juice, & a dash of cayenne pepper, scooped up with bibb lettuce alongside sliced avocado, red onions, and tomatos. Then, for dinner: grilled salmon with lemon, sided by sauteed sliced portabellos and rhubarb stalk, more avocado, and a salad drizzled with EVOO. Both meals paired with sparkling water and lime.

As usual, long before all that fun & food, my day started with a coconut-milk, MCT oil stovetop espresso. But i didn't have a second later on, as i usually do. Not sure whether it's just the warmer weather, or my body-mind finally catching on to my long-held but generally derailed coffee-cutback intentions, but i've had an aversion to drinking my usual amount of black gold lately. More and more, i just feel like choosing green or black tea. I did make the switch years ago and for the months it lasted loved the results. Then entered a killer-intense chinese med programme in a new town with a divine local coffee culture. But school is through and i have moved, so while i'm not giving up my espresso just yet, i'm going to try limiting it to one a day. Any more than that is just making me feel gross lately.

Same with alcohol, actually (if i drink it at all, even in moderation). Just feel better without it, so drinking means sacrificing feeling the way i want to feel.

Maybe this is a passing, unintentional spring detox. Or maybe it's part of my body's progression in (mostly) w30 eating over the past months. Either way, i'm keen to follow my cravings on this one.

Dana, it's been great reading through your journey. Very inspiring. I get a very cool "No judgement here, all is cool" vibe, and I love that you don't beat yourself up (this is my primary thing to do) if you have a slight deviation from your plan. LOVE THIS.

Dana, it's been great reading through your journey. Very inspiring. I get a very cool "No judgement here, all is cool" vibe, and I love that you don't beat yourself up (this is my primary thing to do) if you have a slight deviation from your plan. LOVE THIS.

thanks! i do have to admit that sometimes i beat myself up a bit after getting off track...but the log and this forum community help counter that, for which i'm very grateful.

i'm happy to report that Operation Cut-Back Coffee is going smashingly. i've settled into a new pattern of keeping it to my morning espresso. the rest of the day and night, it's either hot green or black tea, or sparkling water with lemon or lime.

the shift has made me think back to years past, when i managed to stay completely off the stuff for months at a time. the biggest benefits during those months were, first, i felt less tired and, second, i looked less tired. my face, in particular, was less puffy and sleepy, especially around the eyes. so hopefully the current Operation Cut-Back is moving in that direction.

coffee seems a particularly significant one for me to work on within the whole30 context too. when i completed a january whole30, i found it relatively easy but was very, very aware that it would've seemed infinitely harder had coffee been off-limits. actually, had that been the case, i'm not even sure i would've attempted a w30 at that time, amidst med school stress. and in the months since, maintaining a w30 diet nearly all of the time, coffee has retained its privileged place. but i know that i, personally, feel so much better on tea or matte....and am so happy my body seems to think so too at present. here's hoping the cravings for less of it last.

Drinking today's one coffee an hour too early, because dad is super-keen on snagging the perfect beach spot before the fish wake up.

Once there, a wake-up WOD awaits (variation on the MURPH):

Run 1 mile

100 situps

200 pushups

300 walking lunges along the sand

Run 1 mile

(partition the 100,200,300 as needed)

Cash-out: ocean swim

happy holiday weekend!

The 30-day May challenge finished up at my local bikram studio today.

After a late-morning class, one of the studio owners and main teachers met us with real baby coconuts, chilled and cracked open with a straw and a spoon sticking out the top. Though i indulged in this treat almost daily years ago, while living in Thailand, i never splurge on it here. But sipping cold water straight from the coconut was as glorious after hot, sweaty yoga as during thailand's hot season.

i've been doing lots of bikram this month (finished the challenge ahead of time and am going back for a double today) and continuing with crossfit three times a week. it feels really, really good. And makes staying on track food-wise infinitely easier, because i want to feel my best in classes to get the most enjoyment and benefit out of each.

Also studying and working lots, which feels good too. And i've always relished the experience of being more excited about yoga, crossfit, studies, work, people than food. But clean, whole-30 meals just complete and complement the whole picture.

Even the coffee cutback is on track, so i'm consuming one a day (half what i consumed a few weeks ago and a quarter what i consumed a few months ago). That too feels really, really good.

Going out for dinner with dad tonight...to a restaurant i never would've chosen, but oh, well. i'm sure i'll find something fairly w30-ok there, though i'm guessing there'll be who-knows-what in the sauce, oils, and so forth. And i might have wine and possibly some decadent, totally naughty dessert. So a cheat-and-treat night is likely. Still, such a rare exception these days. And i'm super-conscious that the more i minimize tonight's cheats, the better i'll feel about yoga, crossfit, study, work, life tomorrow.

Beautiful day along the Bay with dad. He fished. I walked then read.

Trees, waves, sky.

Came home and grilled up some grass-fed-beef burgers, which i wrapped in bibb lettuce and topped with avocado, raw red onions, and mushrooms sauteed in EVOO. Desert was overripe strawberries with coconut milk. Divine.

Happy sunday!

Another week of eating w30 and keeping coffee to one a day. Feels really good.

i will say, however, that i've upped my fruit intake lately, for two reasons:

one, i've been doing a ton of bikram yoga (at least once but often twice a day) and prior to upping the fruit was starting to get dizzy spells (water, salt, and lime alone weren't doing the trick so far as balancing out electrolytes after 3 hours of profuse sweating).

two, my fruit intake usually spikes in the summer months.

For the most part, i'm sticking to blueberries, but there were a few sinfully sweet peaches sprinkled with cinnamon in there too. I try to avoid eating fruit around seafood, which, so far as food combining, isn't the best idea for smooth digestion and a calm tummy. So it usually serves as a late afternoon snack with a couple spoonfuls of coconut milk and a cup of steaming green tea.

Dizzy spells have disappeared. Still, i'm watching the fruit sugar thing. Any sweet cravings pretty much disappeared after months of w30 eating, and i sense that too much fruit could cause them to resurface--even with berries, there's something about sugar that makes my body think it wants and needs more.

Tonight's dinner was wonderful (and sugar-free): grassfed burgers, sliced avocado, salad with freshly picked herbs, sparkling water with lime. So good.

i seemed to have settled into a "weekly check-in" these days, but things are going along nicely.

i cut my fruit intake back this past week, which felt good--a little less sugar. Still, some spectacularly plump blue berries appeared in the fridge yesterday.

about mid-week, i also decided on a temporary coconut-milk break. don't get me wrong--that stuff, particularly Native Forest unsweetened organic--is divine. But i go through quite a few cans over the months, and every so often my body just wants away from all that "treat-y" stuff. This time that feeling was partly due to my fruit spike of the last couple weeks. Too much dessert-like food and i start to feel an aversion to eating it for a spell. (Mind you, this never happened six months ago, in my pre-W30 days.)

in other news...just couldn't resist anymore and decided to up my CF membership to unlimited, allowing me to go more than 3 days a week. In my previous home in canada, unlimited CF was much cheaper, and i went 6 days a week. Here, well, it's almost double the price...plus i'm doing unlimited bikram too, making for an exorbitant play budget. Still, i'd rather cut back other places--by walking for transportation, for instance, and generally not "going out" (a deadlift is way better than a beer). Not sure i'll be able to sustain this high-intensity, high-price rec option forever, but so nice, for right now at least, to have morning bikram and evening CF each day.

Oh, and while i generally disregard the CF numbers game, i did manage a personal record in my 1-rep deadlift last night: 135# (i only weigh 96, so not too bad when considering bodyweight!). My trainer gave me a spiral notebook and (playfully) demanded i start keeping track of my WODs. So maybe i'll make that a fun project over the next while....

be careful you don't over-train Dana, it sounds like a lot!

I used to use a fitbook , very cute http://www.getfitbook.com and practical journal for food & exercise.

yeah, i'll be careful (and even with unlimited access, i'm planning on doing CF 5 days a week--not 7). and, last night's PR notwithstanding, i generally don't push myself too hard (in anything involving physical activity). i'd rather be able to sustain going regularly than to push hard one session and have to miss days. thanks for the fitbook rec--i'll check it out!

• 4 weeks later...

wow...it's been a while. mostly because my diet has been pretty much the same....not much new to report, and i don't want to bore you or me by continual variations on the same ol' posts. i've been so busy with the rest of life that not much food experimenting has gone down--though i did make some beautifully simple and delicious baked peaches last week.

the usual pattern these days is eating whole30 during the week and off-roading a bit on weekends (but lately that off-roading has stayed more and more on course--primarily because i want to feel good enough to have nice yoga and/or CF sessions on saturday and sunday). i've stuck with the one coffee a day thing, and that's working well. and i've noticed that as each month passes since my january whole30, "cheats" have continued to look less and less like "cheats" by ordinary (or my old) standards. in other words, dark chocolate on a saturday and a couple glasses of wine is now a big deal. used to get much worse than that, for sure. part of me feels weird about this--as though i'm deliberately getting "so sensitive". but most of me likes the effects, so i think i'll stick with this path.

CF 5-6 days a week and yoga 7 days a week remains awesome. truly the key for me.

good luck in your own explorations, ya'll.

oh, oh, oh! almost forgot my impromptu asparagus puree a few days ago...sauteed some red onions in coconut oil for a bit, then added asparagus spears and a little water. once the spears were softish, turned off the stovetop and let it all sit (while i did other non-cooking stuff). eventually threw the strained onions and spears in the food processor along with part of the cooking water and some fresh-picked herbs from the garden (mint and lemony leaves). spooned the puree into crystal stemware and placed a dark-green mint-leaf "flower" in the centre. then stuck a lime wedge on each glass rim and chilled them in the fridge til dinner. it was a simple, unexpected accompaniment to our usual grilled skewered shrimp.

Archived