March 17, 2014 - This is likely TMI...

Chapin

I'm a 59 year old woman, empty-nester.  I'm not sure my husband will be taking this journey with me, but for anything he eats at home, he will be.   :D

Although I've been telling people that "I eat Paleo" for the past six months or so - the reality is that I eat Paleo when it suits me to do so, which has been less and less lately.  A couple of months ago, I realized that running DOWN the stairs to answer the phone had me out of breath, and it brought me up short - literally and figuratively.

So, I did some thinking, did some reading, and decided I needed to give myself a kick in the butt.  Our son is getting married in October, and while I would like to be a little, (like 10 or 100 pounds) thinner, what is motivating me even more is that, hopefully, I'll be a grandmother soon.  

I don't want to be the fat grandma who sits on the porch watching the kids run around - I want to run around with them!  I want to be able to swing my grandkids in the air without fear of dropping dead.  I want to hike through the forest and walk in the fields and play in the pool - all without gasping for breath.  And I want to be around to cry at their weddings, the way I will likely cry at my son's. 

I've been working with a personal trainer for the past six weeks, and while I'm feeling stronger, I'm not changing my shape, and I want to do that too.  So, I've bought the book, drank the Kool-Aid, er I mean the water, and I've signed up for the 30 days of emails.  I've just come home from a 40 minute drive to purchase 30 days worth of organic, pastured meats, eggs, and butter, and tomorrow I'll visit the organic produce store that's opened nearby.

I'll start on Monday, March 17. 

So that's me.  TMI?

Chapin (as in Harry, whom I adored..)

I'm a 59 year old woman, empty-nester.  I'm not sure my husband will be taking this journey with me, but for anything he eats at home, he will be.   :D

Although I've been telling people that "I eat Paleo" for the past six months or so - the reality is that I eat Paleo when it suits me to do so, which has been less and less lately.  A couple of months ago, I realized that running DOWN the stairs to answer the phone had me out of breath, and it brought me up short - literally and figuratively.

So, I did some thinking, did some reading, and decided I needed to give myself a kick in the butt.  Our son is getting married in October, and while I would like to be a little, (like 10 or 100 pounds) thinner, what is motivating me even more is that, hopefully, I'll be a grandmother soon.  

I don't want to be the fat grandma who sits on the porch watching the kids run around - I want to run around with them!  I want to be able to swing my grandkids in the air without fear of dropping dead.  I want to hike through the forest and walk in the fields and play in the pool - all without gasping for breath.  And I want to be around to cry at their weddings, the way I will likely cry at my son's. 

I've been working with a personal trainer for the past six weeks, and while I'm feeling stronger, I'm not changing my shape, and I want to do that too.  So, I've bought the book, drank the Kool-Aid, er I mean the water, and I've signed up for the 30 days of emails.  I've just come home from a 40 minute drive to purchase 30 days worth of organic, pastured meats, eggs, and butter, and tomorrow I'll visit the organic produce store that's opened nearby.

I'll start on Monday, March 17. 

So that's me.  TMI?

Chapin (as in Harry, whom I adored..)

Welcome! Sounds like you are set to have a fantastic whole30. You Can Do It!

There are so many great recipes online for Whole30 approved meals. I found it very helpful to cook double recipes to have extra to freeze for evenings when I just didn't feel like cooking. Also having some go-to snack food available if the sugar cravings hit (check out some nuts and raisin combos available or make your own) really helps to keep you on the program. One of our favorite evening snacks (my husband has to eat something before bedtime or he wakes with a low blood sugar headache) or breakfast alternative when I want a change from eggs is nut porridge. Here's the recipe:

Whole30 Nut Porridge

1 cup of raw nuts (I use a combo of pecans, cashews, almonds, pine nuts or others that look like fun)

Dash of rock salt

3/4 cup of coconut milk

1/4 cup filtered water (I just use tap water)

Cinnamon to taste

1 banana

Soak nuts of your choice with a dash of rock salt in water over night. In the morning, rinse with water 3 times until it rinses clear. Add cinnamon, coconut milk, water. Blend blend blend until smooth. Add banana and blend again...

Warm over stove top of microwave for only 20 secs (nuts heat quickly) or eat cold.

Sorry for the bad news but unfortunately this nut porridge posted above doesn't fit the meal template and is walking a fine line of "sex with your pants on foods". There should be 2 - 3 cups of veggies and at least one palm size of protein. Nuts are a fat source during the whole30. I would save this for after your whole30. Check out the Meal Planning Template so you will know what your meals should look like. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf  And here is the Can I Have post for more frequently asked questions. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/.  Just my 2 cents.

Not TMI in the slightest. The whole 30 will teach you a lot about yourself, your body, and your relationship with food. I think it's great that you've done extensive research and have thoroughly prepared yourself for the next 30 days! If you haven't bought any cookbooks I highly recommend Well Fed! 

Archived