ElleTR13 Log: Starting 3/17

ElleTR13

Today is day 1 of my first Whole30!

I weighed myself this morning--141. I'm down .5 from my last check. No more scale until after the 30 days.

Breakfast--buffalo chicken egg muffins, fruit, 2 big cups of coffee blended with coconut milk.

I was really concerned about my coffee--I love my flavored creamer! I knew I wouldn't like it black, but this blended with the coconut milk and a dash of cinnamon was awesome.

I think I need more fats/protein in my breakfast, because I was hungry at 10:30 (ate breakfast at 7). I had some almonds.

Lunch--Salad with tuna, homemade basalmic dressing. apple. (not yet eaten)

Dinner--baked or grilled porkchop, roasted okra (coconut oil, salt, pepper), cauliflower mash.

No major exercise today since I ran my first half yesterday :)

1. Welcome!

2. Congrats on a half marathon! Dang!

3. I think a lot of people take a little while to get used to the meal template. You have to eat more than you think, for sure. Even with that, it took me over a week before I stopped feeling hungry all the time.

Day 1 ended pretty well. I did end up snacking on a compliant Lara bar and some chicken between lunch & dinner. I typically eat lunch at 12 and sometimes don't have dinner until 7:30 or so, so it is a bit of a stretch.

Dinner was pretty good--the okra roasted in coconut oil was delicious! I typically coat it in cornmeal & seasoning before roasting it and dip it in ketchup...this was just coconut oil, salt & pepper.

Day 2:

Breakfast--3 buffalo chicken egg cups (these are good, but they kinda fell apart in baking, making them smaller than normal...hence the 3), some mixed fruit, 1/2 green smoothie with spinach, almond milk, frozen peaches & mangoes and coconut oil. I added the smoothie for volume to help get me to lunch, but didn't have time to finish it. Still loving the coffee w/coconut milk blended in...I was sad I forgot to pour my 2nd cup into my traveler tumbler!

Snack--12-15 roasted almonds. Still figuring out breakfast.

Lunch--sweet potato with coconut oil & sea salt; shredded chicken with buffalo sauce, apple. I was going to save 1/2 the chicken for tomorrow, but decided to eat it all to see if it will hold me over til dinner.

Planned dinner--spaghetti squash w/ground beef & mushrooms. Going to make the first attempt at homemade tomato sauce too!

Excercise--2 short dog walks down already, one longer one this evening.

Welcome!

For help in figuring out breakfast, as well as your other meals, follow the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. Look to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. 

Also, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food, vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating. Also when including fruit, it's too easy to overdo too much fruit in one sitting.

As you're experimenting with meal portion sizes, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Here's the recipe I used:

http://balancedbites.com/2013/02/easy-recipe-buffalo-chicken-egg-muffins.html

I actually cooked a bunch of chicken breasts overnight in the crockpot and then shredded them to use for this (instead of thighs).

Tip: it is important not to put too much chicken in each one. Mine are kind of dry.

Day 3: I think I have carb flu.

My headache started last night. I went to bed to sleep it off and woke up at 3 AM and took a BC powder. It is still there this morning.

Breakfast--Egg cups, coffee w/coconut creamer. I will find some more breakfast recipes this weekend.

Lunch (planned, as I'm writing this in the AM): leftover spaghetti squash w/homemade sauce & beef; apple

Dinner (planned): He & She Eat Clean Salsa Chicken. A favorite around our house before this and I was happy to see it was compliant! I did have to find salsa without added sugar. I'll add a couple of bell peppers as well. Maybe serve it over leftover spaghetti squash. It will be dinner tomorrow night too, as I have a Junior League commitment. Also have some compliant guac to add.

Exercise: Noon yoga class at work. I'm needing a good stretch since my half. Probably a dog walk this evening.

Tips for getting rid of the headache? Luckily it doesn't seem to be progressing..sometimes I get headaches in the same area as this that get so bad, I get nauseous and all I can do is sleep it off.

Last night was really tough. I was really wanting some tortilla chips & cheese to go along with my salsa chicken, but I held strong. A small bowl of mixed fruit killed the "dessert" craving. That headache lasted all damn day.

Day 4:

Breakfast: Smoothie (I realize this is discouraged--I need to go to the store for more breakfast items) with compliant ingredients; coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch: Leftover spaghetti squash & beef w/homemade tomato sauce, orange

Dinner: Leftover salsa chicken w/guac

I do have a Lara bar with me, as I'll eat lunch around 12:30-1 and won't be home for dinner until close to 8 PM.

Day 5:

Breakfast: Eggs w/ spinach; Coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch: Leftover salsa chicken on top of a salad (spinach, red cabbage, romaine, carrots), spicy guac and salsa as dressing

Dinner: Grilled flank steak with basalmic red onions & tomatoes; roasted asparagus

I also have an apple & almond butter as a standby for the afternoon--I think I may need it because I'll have lunch around 12 and probably won't have dinner til 8:30 or so.

Archived