First Whole30! Starting on 3/18/14

econnors

Hi y'all! I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow and am really looking forward to it! I somehow managed to convince my boyfriend to do it as well so we both start our journey to a healthier future tomorrow! As far as eating goes, we're in the middle of eating healthy and eating not so healthy so we both wanted to commit to really changing our eating habits for the better. The hardest part for him will not be able to have bread and cheese and for me it will be chocolate. If anyone has any suggestions/advice/recipes to curb these cravings, it would be greatly appreciated. We are a young couple who are trying to get away from the post-grad life that so many of our friends are stuck in. Those that haven't completely left college in their mind and still think its okay to go out every weekend and drink and get fast food after a night out at the bars. It's getting old and we have decided we would much rather put our money into something that is going to make us a healthier couple and healthier individuals.

Looking forward to the next 30 days! :)

• Moderators

Welcome.

When dealing with cravings, avoid substitutes. Many people try to find a healthy food that is similar to what they crave to wean themselves off of their desired food, but that approach keeps the cravings going longer and stronger. It is better to avoid anything similar to what you are craving and let the craving die of starvation. 

Congrats! I "started" yesterday but had some peanut oil by mistake so I'm officially starting today.  I've learned that it's extremely important to read ALL labels even on things that seem obvious. 

I found a recipe for Chocolate Chili that might help out your chocolate "needs".  I made it last night and it's delicious but not as chocolate-y as I expected.  Here is the link to that recipe and others by Melissa Joulwan http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Good luck to you both!

• Moderators

And even though I said don't try to find a healthy substitute for chocolate, it would be fine to make Melissa Joulwan's chocolate chili. I make it routinely and don't think it will ignite your chocolate cravings. It is just good. :)

How has your day started out on your first Whole30? 

Agreed, the chocolate chili is amazingly good but I will be honest, it doesn't curb the chocolate craving! Like mentioned above, it's best to just let the cravings slowly suffer and die. It doesn't sound fun and it's not, but it's the best way to retrain your brain! GL.

Archived