Mike's Whole30 successes

namtrag

I am on Day 30, so not technically done yet, but I wanted to start my success story thread early.  One reason is, the success has already come, no matter what I find out on Day 31 when I step on the scale and tape measure my waist.

I feel so much better, and I can tell I have lost some weight.  I kicked addictions to processed foods and DIET SODA and artificial sweeteners in my coffee, and my wife and I used Whole30 as a springboard to eating healthier sourced meat and vegetables.  We ended up watching documentaries such as Fresh, Hungry for Change, and In Organic We Trust, and learned a lot, causing us to give up conventional foods completely.

My wife loves to cook, luckily, so we are having almost every meal made fresh, with components that have only one ingredient.  I believe we spend more on food, but maybe not as much as we think, since we no longer eat out much, nor do we drink expensive sodas, munchies, and convenience foods.

My heartburn has been nearly non-existent since Day 1.  I have had it probably 3 times the entire 30 days, and had to take an antacid only one time.  Right up until I started, I was eating 8 antacid tablets per day, and suffering some sort of heartburn after almost every meal.

I also was suffering chronic lower back pain in my right SI joint, and it seems to have completely gone away.

My morning bp has dropped quite a bit (I am on 5mg of lisinopril twice per day), settling in the 120/75 to 125/80 range.  Before, my morning bp would be 130/85 most days.  My disappointment is, that my bp continues to be 130/85 to 130/90 when measured at my doctor's office (whom I visit once a week to do some accounting work for.).  I want to be off the meds, but he wants to hold off a while longer to see if the continuance of this healthy eating helps more.

I will be posting my weight and measurements tomorrow, along with my before and after pics.

I hope I can inspire some guys to do this.  I have noticed it's mostly women, but it really works for guys too!

I did get on the scale this morning, and I was down 13 lbs.  I was hoping for more, but it will come off as I keep eating this way, and I am in no hurry now.  Now I will be adding in more exercise too.  I wanted to only have one variable during the 30 days to prove to myself that eating Whole30-style was the sole reason I lost weight.

My wife really wants to go another 30, and then reintroduce, so we may just keep going.  Neither of us had the slightest cravings at all, so we find the diet incredibly easy.  What's so cool about this program is you don't have that "it's over, now I am celebrating with a trip to the all you can eat buffet!" feeling.  You really want to keep doing it.  It's such a great feeling to have conquered those feelings.

Looking down the road, if I decide to eat Whole30 compliant foods forever, do I still strive to eat by the template, or do I concentrate more on just eating when hungry so long as I eat compliant foods?

Archived