Day 25 Restaurant Fail

Well, I made it all the way to day 25 and then...I didn't read a menu carefully enough. Here's what happened:

I met my s.o. at a favorite Mexican restaurant after work; we decided it was already late and didn't feel like cooking. I looked up the menu and found something that would be compliant: the fajita burrito, minus the burrito part and no rice or beans.

We got there, I ordered. The guy that took my order understood perfectly: no tortilla, just steak and veggies all sauteed together and a side of guac. YES! Perfect.

Then the food came out, and it was cooooooooooovered in melted shredded cheese. I checked the menu again and there it was, in the description, cheese. I just couldn't bring myself to send it back or ask for something else after they had already been so accommodating with everything I asked for.

So, sadly, my Whole30 "ends" on Day 25. I'm pretty bummed. It's a learning experience for sure, and eating out will always run the risk of not being compliant. I'm a little unsure if I should continue to be 100% compliant the next 5 days or what. I'm leaning toward yes, although it would be nice to enjoy a beer while I'm out this weekend...

I DO plan on doing another Whole 30 in a few weeks to prepare me for my first triathlon, so I'm not giving up on all this. I love the way I feel when I'm compliant, but I don't feel it's fair to ignore what happened and claim I completed a Whole30. Sigh. 

Anyway, I felt like I needed a confession, and to vent a little, and to share my frustration with coming so far and falling short. Till next time.

Had you immediately gotten back on track on Day 26 would that have been okay? I begin my journey on April 1st. I know sometimes these things happen. But I'm curious to know if one meal like this breaks the Whole 30 days? 

Hey great job with 25 days by the way!! :)

Had you immediately gotten back on track on Day 26 would that have been okay? I begin my journey on April 1st. I know sometimes these things happen. But I'm curious to know if one meal like this breaks the Whole 30 days? 

Hey great job with 25 days by the way!! :)

To answer your question, yes, eating dairy is one of those things that unfortunately hits the reset button on a Whole30. 

@StaceFaceAK: it sounds like the plan you have to proceed is great. You did a Whole25 - that's nothing to sneeze at.  Just think of how well-prepared you are to do a Whole30 in a few weeks.

And next time, send the food back. ;) While it said cheese on the menu, you requested only steak, veggies and guac. 

Archived