6th Day--Need Help?

hungrydana

I started Whole30 last Monday. I was feeling pretty good, other than hungry at times and the normal cravings, until yesterday. I have NO energy. I walked up a flight of stairs yesterday and my head was pounding and felt light headed--not because I am out of shape. I am not doing this diet to lose weight. I am already at a healthy weight but want to rid myself of sugars. I woke up again today and it feels as if adrenaline is coursing through my body. I feel lightheaded and shaky. I've been eating all the 'plan' foods. Any suggestions? I don't have any health issues other than asthma. I am actually getting worried that something is really wrong. Has anyone else felt like this? Like you need sugar because you are so shaky?

Have you seen a copy of the Whole30 timeline? Being really tired is common at this stage. 

On the feeling lightheaded and shaky, I wonder if you're eating enough, and staying sufficiently hydrated? If you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, along with your daily exercise and water consumption, folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks.  

Oh boy, I guess I should be keeping a food log but really haven't. I know I am eating enough protein each meal. I've even resorted to eating mac nuts and cashews. Here a sample of my day yesterday:

Breakfast-three eggs, sausage (approved), spinach, banana, half cup of coco water

Coffee with coco milk (about four tbls)-bottle of water after wards

Lunch-left over beef stir fry and shredded pork and cabbage, 1/2 cup of coco water

-Nuts--mac and cashews…palm full of each

Dinner--salmon (wild caught packaged from Costco), green beans, and salad (avocado, tomato, hearts of palms, peppers, cucumbers)

Bottle of water.

Rooibos tea from Teavana--12ounce

I must confess I am not a huge water drinker and looking at this list I obviously need more. That may be the culprit…but I am drinking more than I normally do when not on a diet.

I've only walked one day this week--2 1/2 miles up and down hills. normally I walk at least 4 times a week.

I just took my blood pressure and it was very normal…and heart rate was 61. I just feel like adrenaline is racing through my body. I honestly thought I was not a big sugar person until starting this. I wonder now if I truly have a problem with sugar. 

And no I had not read the timeline..duh moment. I just read it and yep, I feel exhausted! I did buy the book and have been scouring through it!

Thanks for the advice!!!

One thing that jumps out at me is the coconut water.  On a Whole30, the recommendation is to not drink that in place of water. Per the Can I Have Guide, it should only be used for rehydration for endurance athletes or if you work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration.

If you're having nuts as a snack, while compliant, a better snack is a mini meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Also, the need for snacks can indicate your earlier meals aren't big enough. Play with your protein, veg and fat portions of your meals so they satiate you for 4-5 hours.

What might help with the bloating is to drop the nuts and raw vegetables, at least for a few days, and see if that helps. Switch to all cooked vegetables.

On the energy piece, be sure to have at least one carb dense vegetables daily. That includes sweet potato, winter squash, carrots, beets, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

Great advice! I haven't eaten any of those carb dense veggies mentioned above. I bought sweet potatoes but am not really a fan so I have been putting off cooking them. 

As for coco water: BOO! Yes, I have been drinking it in place of water because it tastes so much better. I will definitely cut that out.

Thanks again for all your help!!! Praying I get through this slump as I almost quit this morning when a continental breakfast was served at a meeting I attended. Of course I had already made and eaten my breakfast, but I was tempted since I felt so bad.

Great advice! I haven't eaten any of those carb dense veggies mentioned above. I bought sweet potatoes but am not really a fan so I have been putting off cooking them. 

As for coco water: BOO! Yes, I have been drinking it in place of water because it tastes so much better. I will definitely cut that out.

Thanks again for all your help!!! Praying I get through this slump as I almost quit this morning when a continental breakfast was served at a meeting I attended. Of course I had already made and eaten my breakfast, but I was tempted since I felt so bad.

My favorite breakfast is sweet potato hash with some fried eggs. The quick method is to peel the sweet potato or yam and shred it on your cheese grater. Heat a pan with some coconut oil and then add the potato. I smash it down into a pancake shape, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 - 5 min on one side then flip and cook 3 - 5 min on the other. Top with over easy eggs. I am total addicted. If you want the original version check out Nom Nom Paleo Blog I think she adds more stuff to hers. Enjoy!

My favorite breakfast is sweet potato hash with some fried eggs. The quick method is to peel the sweet potato or yam and shred it on your cheese grater. Heat a pan with some coconut oil and then add the potato. I smash it down into a pancake shape, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 - 5 min on one side then flip and cook 3 - 5 min on the other. Top with over easy eggs. I am total addicted. If you want the original version check out Nom Nom Paleo Blog I think she adds more stuff to hers. Enjoy!

Thank you, Tina!!! I will try that tomorrow morning since I have two sitting on the counter--bought them with good intentions, but was unsure how to make them.

Archived