Karyna's THIRD whole30

Karyna

So day 1 after the cravings and aversions incident...

And I have gone completely off Paleo today. Not just off whole30 but off Paleo.

Breakfast - all I wanted was granola and yoghurt. And I had that.

Lunch - a ham and cheese sandwich with chips/fries. Yum.

Snack - cheese twists (flaky pastry with cheese baked inside) and some Easter chocolate

Any thought of eggs, beef mince, steak... Not appetising to me at all. All my pregnant body wants is carbs and dairy.

And I feel so guilty. Three days ago, I LOVED everything on my whole30 menu and I had such joy eating everything whole30 compliant.

If I could, I could probably stomach eggs and bacon. But anything else just does not sound appetising at all...

I hope this subsides once I get through the first trimester (5 more weeks). Then I can go back to whole30 to help rid my body of the carbs I have ingested.

The hardest part of this is trying not to feel guilty...

I'm wondering if you could "paleoify" some of the things you crave. There are lots of paleo versions of granola out there and you could do the ham and cheese sandwiches with some coconut flour or almond flour bread. Sweet potato fries could replace the regular fries. Don't know how to get away with paleo cheese twists, lol.

Of course, this is a "do as I say, not as I do" because I didn't do well staying paleo during the first trimester. However, I did find that I could replace some things I craved, like muffins, with paleo versions. And I tried to stay with potatoes and rice instead of wheat, etc. I do still believe, however, that sometimes your body craves/is adverse to certain things during the first trimester because the baby and your body need certain things. 

But you're right - you now have the tools to "reset" and you now know you can return to Whole30 when you're feeling better. And your preconception nutrition is going to help baby and yourself, too. Do your best but ditch the guilt - you have enough going on during this time of your life, don't add to the stress. 

And Happy Easter!

Those first trimester cravings/aversions can be ROUGH. With both of my babies, I went on week-long food jags where all I wanted was one thing--turkey sandwiches, for instance--and I'd basically just eat that...until suddenly I couldn't stand the sight of it any more. It was odd, bizarre, and looking back now, pretty hilarious.

Please don't waste any time feeling guilty! Guilt is for when you've done something to hurt someone else. All you did was eat some delicious-sounding comfort food!

Just as much as your body needs good nutrition right now, it also needs comfort, relaxation, and pleasure!

Vegetables and meat will appeal again really soon (I was back to "normal" at 13 weeks, personally). In the meantime, eat what appeals--and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Those first trimester cravings/aversions can be ROUGH. With both of my babies, I went on week-long food jags where all I wanted was one thing--turkey sandwiches, for instance--and I'd basically just eat that...until suddenly I couldn't stand the sight of it any more. It was odd, bizarre, and looking back now, pretty hilarious.

Please don't waste any time feeling guilty! Guilt is for when you've done something to hurt someone else. All you did was eat some delicious-sounding comfort food!

Just as much as your body needs good nutrition right now, it also needs comfort, relaxation, and pleasure!

Vegetables and meat will appeal again really soon (I was back to "normal" at 13 weeks, personally). In the meantime, eat what appeals--and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thank you! Reading this made me feel so much better - the hormones make me that much more emotional and stressed so I am doubly hard on myself. And it is true - stressing out too much during pregnancy is not a good thing even if it is about trying to stay healthy. It is finding that balance...

Archived