Eating Post Work Out

NurseO'Brien

Hi, my issue is that I do crossfit first thing in the morning about a half hour after I wake up ( I have to drive to the box). Therefore I dont want to eat a large meal before I get there. So first question is what is the best pre work out snack to have to hold me over. Secondly, after I crossfit I go directly to work. Currently I am eat my breakfast right after I work out which consists of 4 egss, a scoop of chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onions, a little salsa and avacodo on top. Should I be adding a carb after and taking out the avacodo r/t the fat content? And is that too much protein? Sorry I know that it is a lot of questions but I am on Day 3 and trying to adjust to eating and crossfitting.

The whole30 recommends a pre-workout snack of protein and fat, and a post-workout of protein and carbs. This means that yes, a hardboiled egg is a good pre-workout option, but your breakfast is a bit heavy on fat for optimal recovery. It would be ideal for muscle building and recovery if you could eat some lean protein immediatly after you workout, and have the breakfast a bit later. That way, protein would be able to get to your muscles in the window where it is really needed, without fat slowing digestion down. Some people will have chicken breast or water-packed tuna at the gym (add sweet potato if you need it), then have a breakfast like you describe as soon as they get home.

maybe worth a try?

Is ok to do a can of tuna with mustard, or is that too much protien. And is it ok to eat a post workout snack and then breakfast 45minutes to an hour later or is that too close?

Protein is what you want. A can of tuna is not too much.

Breakfast 45 minutes to an hour later is just fine.

Archived