Still nursing, starting Whole30 tomorrow

Hi everyone,

I'm a vegetarian that is eating meat (does that exist?) for the time being. I have some health issues (stomach mainly, with some pretty gnarly anxiety issues) that I am hoping will be greatly helped by doing this whole30 diet.

I also have 3 little ones, 6, 3, and 11 months, the youngest of whom is still being nursed. I have been living in the US for a little over a year now, but have lived extensively in Europe. I do feel like the quality of some of the food in the US has been a bit of a health challenge for me. I stopped eating gluten and dairy about 3 months ago. 

I think quite a few of my issues stem from a) my absolutely huge chocolate addiction, and B) naively having replaced all animal protein in my diet with carbs (lots of breads, pastas, cookies), cheese and nuts, specifically the entire last pregnancy and nursing. At the urging of several people now, I feel I really, really need some animal protein to 'put some meat on my bones' so to speak.

I start my Whole30 tomorrow, and am fully expecting to go into a mad rampage at missing out on chocolate by mid-afternoon. Wish me (or perhaps more aptly, my dear, loving and very supportive husband) luck!

Hi! I'm starting tomorrow may 5th and I'm still nursing as well!!! I'm a choc o Holic and this is going to be tough!!!! I'm trying to get my body back to pre preg! We can do this!!

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I'm on day 15 tomorrow. I went through quite a few struggles with my cravings for sweets and pastries, but I am holding strong so far, as well as snacking habits (i.e. I could justify snacking since I'm nursing, but I feel like that's more of a cover than a necessity). My milk supply seems to be staying steady. I have an increasingly easier time waking up in the mornings, more energy, and am able to go longer between meals without being ravishingly hungry. My anxiety has really, really improved quite substantially. My digestion is improving, but still working itself out I think. Half-way done, hope to see more improvements as the time goes on! Best of luck to the other moms out there!

Best wishes! It's cupcakes from a nearby cupcakery that were the most difficult for me to imagine parting with. (Mmm, lemon.)

Now I'm at the end of day 4, nursing a 6-week-old in between chasing after a 4.5-year-old. This is my second whole30 and it's going better than I expected. I was confident I could do it based on having done it before, but nervous how breastfeeding would impact things. I haven't experienced a drop in supply, though let-down is a little slower.

I felt ravenous the first couple of days, but adding some sweet potato to every meal helped. 

Archived