Newbie (day 1) question: Can/should I keep taking citrucel?

ODAAT

Hi, I am brand new to the Whole 30.  I started today with lots of prep over the weekend and feel pretty secure with what to eat and not eat.  My question is - I have been taking Citrucel (2 caps a day) for several years now to treat my IBS.  It has made me very regular and I am nervous about stopping it cold turkey.  But it does contain maltodextrin among other additives.  What would the experts advise about stopping vs keeping on with it?

Thanks so much for your help!

• Moderators

Consuming maltodextrin-laced food products is not okay during a Whole30. Most of it is made with corn or rice and sometimes wheat, all off plan foods. 

I don't know what effect stopping Citrucel all at once might have on your IBS problem. If you are eating a plate full of veggies at every meal, you will be getting plenty of fiber from your food. That with the reduced inflammation from removing all potential trouble makers from your diet might mean that you make the transition easily, but I can't say for sure. You might want to take some time to make the transition gradually and see how you do. 

Thank you so much Tom.  I really appreciate your response and advice.  I think I will stop it and just see how it goes.  I'm sure I will experience some intestinal upset due to the dietary change as described in the Whole30 literature I read, so hopefully once that part is over the "real" fiber from the better food will take over and keep me on track.  Fingers crossed!  Thank you again!

Archived