What should I eat today?

I've been eating a lot of canned salmon for lunch, yesterday I baked some Mahi Mahi.  Side of veggies and whatever starchy veggie I have around.  My husband gets the leftovers and I made chicken soup with bone broth for my daughter, it's in the freezer.  I want something easy.  I'm tired of cooking.  I want a break.  Food has become disinteresting to me, so I don't enjoy cooking it anymore.  Just want something to keep me satiated till dinner.  Ideas?

• Moderators

Get the outstanding cookbook Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan. It is INVALUABLE. I don't know how I would have made it through my first Whole30 without it!

There is a great section called Hot Plates where you take a protein, a veggie, and a spice combo to whip up an Italian, Chinese, French, Greek, Middle Eastern or American twist on it so it feels like you're eating something totally different each meal if you want.

Also, it has the Weekly Cookup about how to make a bunch of food all at the same time so your cooking for most of the week gets done in an hour or two. Here's a meal plan she wrote up on her website: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Find some Aidell's or Applegate Farms chicken apple sausages. You can microwave them with some frozen veggies - fast, easy, simple.

Buy some ground beef and make bunless burgers. Be sure to top with yummy compliant mustard, some avocado, homemade mayo (so quick to make) whatever else you like. Grilled portabellos or red bell pepper halves make amazingly tasty "bun" substitutes!

If you're totally sick of cooking, go out and buy a (compliant) roasted chicken, already cooked, get some compliant veggies/salad off the salad bar or prepared food (compliant) from your local grocery.

Whip up a big batch of Chocolate Chili from Well Fed. Or crockpot a pork roast (there's a great recipe in Well Fed 2).

You can do this!

thanks, we are having a roasted chicken for dinner.  just needed something quick and easy.  

Im having chicken blt lettuce wraps. with avocado.

I don't know.  I don't care for sweets, so I don't have a problem avoiding SWYPO stuff like pancakes.  But a burger with no bun has always felt like SWYPO.  I want a messy burger that I pick up with my hands and it has cheese and junk on it.  Not wrapped in lettuce. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll eat and have eaten a bunless burger.  It's just not as fun.  Like SWYPO.

Monica it gets easier. I do a lot of cooking and have leftovers of everything in the fridge ready for a meal for me. I eat a 1/4 cup of guacamole with every meal which goes a long way to keep me very satisfied all day.

Good luck.

• Moderators

It's funny, I hear you on the burger, but have you tried grilled/roasted portabellos as "buns"? You will wonder why you ever went with tasteless, dry buns before, even if like me you were a toasted bun lover. SO much flavor. Give it a try! Oh, and have plenty of napkins handy.

Archived