Day 3 and struggling a little

kedamak

I'm new the Whole30 way of living. I bought It Starts With Food and chose to read it from cover to cover before starting the Whole30. Now as an act of kindness to my body I want to make this change. The trouble is I'm in a very stressful time at work and my default when I'm stressed is sugar, particularly chocolate. I used to say there is magic in chocolate because it makes everything better. Now I know that it's just messing with my brain and my hormones.

Anyway, I'm still learning how much I need to eat and trying to get a handle on the good fat thing so I'm getting hungry before my next meal with no Whole30 approved snacks nearby. Today has been both stressful and sad for me; neither of these bode well for me in the past for not turning to my drug of choice, sugar. So this is me just reaching out for a little moral support so I don't stop before I've even gotten out the gate good.

Thanks all!

Welcome kedamak, the gang is here for you! The response is quick & supportive, and everyone (including newbies like me) happy to help. Speaking of that, I have been finding that the contents of my breakfast are key. Now everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others. I have been having paleo egg muffins/cupcakes (name depends on whose recipe) and an avocado for breakfast. I find that gives me a good protein & good fat intake to warty me to lunch without feeling like I need a snack to get there. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before (meat & veg), and dinner is a new meal with a different protein than the day before (rotating bison, grass fed beef, fish) with plenty of veggies and a good fat. I've found that as long as I have the good proteins & fats I haven't felt the need to snack in between meals. Your mileage may vary. ;) It may take a few meals to find the ideal ratios, but you should be able to dial that in fairly quick. Good luck & welcome to a new chapter!

Hi Kedamac! I'm also new here on Day 3 myself. I had MAJOR cravings this afternoon and I think it's that "Day 3 Thing" of sugar withdrawal I've heard so much about. I ate some raw nuts. More nuts than I should have, but it wasn't sugar!!!

Can you start bringing a little cooler with you to work with some Whole 30 approved food in it? A little extra just in case?

I hope you are still hanging in there!!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!

LOL Liam that things warty you to lunch. :P

Hi Kedamac! I'm also new here on Day 3 myself. I had MAJOR cravings this afternoon and I think it's that "Day 3 Thing" of sugar withdrawal I've heard so much about. I ate some raw nuts. More nuts than I should have, but it wasn't sugar!!!

Can you start bringing a little cooler with you to work with some Whole 30 approved food in it? A little extra just in case?

I hope you are still hanging in there!!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!

LOL Liam that things warty you to lunch. :P

Hi Lizzy:

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I haven't gotten enough groceries to have snacks in hand just yet but hope to rectify that by week's end. I have a light albeit busy schedule at work this week so I hope to get to the supermarket at some point this week. I think as I get my ratios down I should be fine. Just need a little extra support to not give into my usual tactics for dealing with stress and sadness. I wish us both lots of luck and success as we work toward making this permanent lifestyle change.

Welcome kedamak, the gang is here for you! The response is quick & supportive, and everyone (including newbies like me) happy to help. Speaking of that, I have been finding that the contents of my breakfast are key. Now everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others. I have been having paleo egg muffins/cupcakes (name depends on whose recipe) and an avocado for breakfast. I find that gives me a good protein & good fat intake to warty me to lunch without feeling like I need a snack to get there. Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before (meat & veg), and dinner is a new meal with a different protein than the day before (rotating bison, grass fed beef, fish) with plenty of veggies and a good fat. I've found that as long as I have the good proteins & fats I haven't felt the need to snack in between meals. Your mileage may vary. ;) It may take a few meals to find the ideal ratios, but you should be able to dial that in fairly quick. Good luck & welcome to a new chapter!

Hi Liam

Thanks for the quick response and the helpful suggestions. I did not have any fat with breakfast this morning but had some homemade guac on Sunday with my breakfast. However, on Sunday I think I waited too long to eat. It's all a learning process isn't it. I made a breakfast casserole which should hold me for a couple of days. I've also got a couple of meals prepped so I will be alternating lunch and dinner with those meals until they are gone then prepare something else for later in the week. My biggest challenge is going to be meal prep. I am not a fan of the kitchen but I think we can find a workable relationship :) Thanks again for the encouragement

Hiya,

If you are stressed, and crave chocolate constantly, you may want to try 200mg of magnesium citrate and some B vitamins in the AM, and another 200mg-400mg of magnesium in the evening (start with 200mg).

For myself, this (along with a clean diet) makes the difference between liking chocolate and needing chocolate.

BTW, once you adjust to eating sugar-free, try some top-quality unsweentened chocolate either alone, with coconut and raspberry, or as a depthy ingredient in chilies, stews, sauces...satisfying!

Hi,

I am not a huge cooking fan either. I did find that a couple of good crock-pot meals make all the difference. I like to make a big batch, eat for 2 days of the same thing and then freeze the rest in smaller portions. I make a list on the side of the fridge of what I have frozen for quick reference. Then whenever I am hungry I am a few minutes away from a yummy and filling dinner.

Good luck!

. My biggest challenge is going to be meal prep. I am not a fan of the kitchen but I think we can find a workable relationship :)

kedamak:

I don't do well with meal prep either, and haven't had that much success with my crock pot, but lately I've been working through the one-pot ground meat ideas in It Starts With Food and they are great. Last night I made a pot of ground pork (didn't drain the fat), onion, apple, cabbage, with a little vinegar and cinnamon. It was quite delicious, and didn't take long to cook and only made one pot dirty. I've got enough for dinner again tonight and next time I'll make a double batch and it will last even longer!

Archived