WholeBill 2.0 - The Journey Continues

BillS

Back on the trail with my best buddy, Susie.

This is my second Whole30.  The first was back in February, with a Whole15 somewhere in between.  Life after The Plan has been good, and challenging in the usual ways.  My major trigger food is definitely sugar.  I do OK with most of the other noncompliant foods in moderation...and I'm able to stop eating them at will.  The Sugar Dragon, however, is another beast entirely.  So back into the arena to do battle once more!

Goals for this round:

- Learn some new recipes (i.e., turn to a different page in WellFed)

- Cook for others:  I'm becoming more comfortable with my cooking and would like to share it with friends.

- Be more consistent with exercise:  I've been a pretty solid weekend warrior, and would like to add midweek workouts to the mix.

- Wake up at 6:00 a.m. every morning:  Easy for some of you, a chore for a night owl like me.  But I feel so noble when I do!

- 100% compliance with The Rules

Today's Food:

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee and coconut oil with spinach, broccoli, and pork loin; salsa

M2 - Salad with pork loin, lettuce, carrot, and sauerkraut

Snack - Almonds

M3 - Steak, roast broccoli, homemade mayo, prosciutto, and strawberries

Day 2

I did get up a 6:00 again...on a roll!  I had a short, acute case of Kill All The Things tonight.  It was the result of not enough food early in the day and an unanticipated business dinner with limited and wholly unsatisfying options.  Getting some WholeComfort food in me when I finally made it home helped a lot.

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee and coconut oil with spinach, steak, and chives; salsa; almonds; strawberries

M2 - Pork loin; banana

Snack - Melon; pineapple; celery; carrot; radish; cucumber <- all from the snack tray at an offsite

M3 - Chicken breast; asparagus; salad <- Buffet dinner with limited choices

Snack - Prosciutto; cashew butter; pickle

M2 is where things started to go sideways.  I had an appointment run long and did a quick grab-and-go raid through my kitchen.  I didn't have any easily accessible veggies that were ready to go.  I will remedy this shortly.

Day 3

Things are proceeding apace.  Moderately wanted to Kill All The Things today, and successfully managed not to.

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with pork loin, spinach, and onion; salsa; raw sauerkraut juice

M2 - Salad with spinach, pork loin, and sauerkraut; banana

Snack - Melon and pineapple

M3 - Thai green curry with pork loin, coconut milk, carrot, onion, and zucchini served over wilted greens; walnuts; cashew butter and blueberries

Foodwise I felt much better today.  Lunch was a little light, but manageable.  Onward!

Day 4

Picking up steam now!  Up at 6:00 per my plan.  Day 4 of that, too.  For the record, Day 22 of a Media-free May where I'm not watching TV or listening to the radio or music.  I'm loving the silence.

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee and coconut oil with spinach, onion, chives, and salsa; banana

M2 - Thai green curry with pork loin, coconut milk, carrot, onion, zucchini, and broccoli

Snack - Cashew butter; cinnamon applesauce

Exercise - 1:06 mountain bike ride

M3 - Chicken; sweet potato; mixed berries and cashew butter

Hi Bill! Welcome back!

For best results on your Whole30, have your snacks meet the recommendation of a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. (The prosciutto, cashew butter, pickle was a good example, assuming the pickle was compliant.)  Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your main meals only.

Day 5

M1 - Three eggs fried in ghee; hash with sweet potato, chicken, spinach, and chive cooked in coconut oil; salsa

M2 - Chipotle: carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, and hot sauce

Snack - Hardboiled egg; pistachios

M3 - Hamburger patty with sautéed onion; Swiss chard; olives; lettuce with vinaigrette; grapes

Felt very good until this evening, then ran out of gas. I think that is right on schedule. Also, something that I ate today did NOT agree with me. I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow.

Day 6

M1 - Three poached eggs over a sauté of ground beef, onion, zucchini, red pepper, and olive oil; strawberries, grapes, and pineapple

Exercise - 1:16 mountain bike ride. Banana and blueberry purée on the ride

M2 - Same as breakfast, only with two hardboiled eggs and one strip of chicken

M3 - Salad with cucumber, tomato, arugula, and olives; steak with assorted roasted veggies

Felt great today. Knee a bit sore from the riding, so might take a break tomorrow.

Day 7

Up at 6:00 again.

M1 - two eggs scrambled with ground beef, zucchini, onion, and Serano chili in coconut and olive oils

Exercise/M2 - Went for a long hike today, about six hours. Lots of swimming, fishing, rock climbing, hiking, and some sitting in the sun. Along the way I had two hard-boiled eggs, pecans, macadamia nut butter, two prunes, sweet potato and apple purée with cinnamon, and some applesauce. It wasn't enough food and I was exhausted by the end.

M3 - Steak, prosciutto, broccoli, mixed fresh fruit, and salad with sauerkraut

I was in a good mood all day, but definitely ran out of gas. I know the tiger blood is coming!

Day 8

Up at 6:00, on a holiday no less!

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with prosciutto, broccoli, and onion

Exercise - 8.9 mile mountain bike ride, 1:50.  Pecans, banana & pumpkin puree, and prunes along the way.

M2 - Two hardboiled eggs, tuna, lettuce, and sauerkraut; Mixed fresh fruit

M3 - Chipotle:  carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, and hot sauce

Snack - Cashew butter

I felt very good for the whole ride, and was stronger than expected on the long uphills.  The limiting factor is riding skill, not fitness.  

Overall the first week went well.  I'm hitting the mid-30 lull now, getting a little tired of the food and the restrictions.  I'm still committed to the full 30 days, but am just noting how this time is different than the first.  One day at a time.

Day 9

6:00 Check!

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil and ghee with spinach, onion, and salsa

M2 - Roast chicken with oven roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper, celery); fruit samples at the farmer's market

Snack - Almonds

M3 - Chili (beef, Tabasco chili starter, onion, diced tomatoes) over zucchini

Felt good and evenly fueled all day.  Feeling a little light on raw veggies today.  That's easy to fix.

Day 10

Up at 6:00

M1 - Three eggs fried in ghee; spinach, prosciutto, onion, and sweet potato sautéed in coconut oil; mayo

M2 - Chili (beef, Tabasco chili starter, onion, diced tomatoes) over zucchini

Snack - Almonds and a banana

M3 - Ground beef, sauerkraut, and mayo; almonds; apricots

I survived the first of the "most likely to quit" days!  Quite a feat given that this was "beers after work with the coworkers" day.  I had sparkling water with lemon...a poor substitute for beer.  Nevertheless, I made it.

I had glimpses of tiger blood this afternoon.  It's coming!

And BTW, the garlic ground beef, sauerkraut, and mayo option was much better than I expected.  It turned into almost a stroganoff.  It will be on my list of emergency meals now.

Day 11

All my well-laid plans went awry today. I scavenged food when and where I could. I was compliant with ingredients, but certainly not with the meal template.

M1 - prosciutto, strawberries, and mayo

Snack - Banana, applesauce, apricot

M2 - (At dinner time) Ground beef, sauerkraut, onion, and mayo scrambled with three eggs in coconut oil

I felt good all day.

Day 12

A much better day.

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with prosciutto, onion, and spinach; strawberries

M2 - Grilled chicken thighs, salad with lettuce and spinach, sauerkraut; almonds; prunes

Exercise - 10.4 mile MTB ride

Snack - Almonds, banana, chicken thigh

M3 - Grilled chicken thighs, asparagus, pineapple, almonds

Hmmm...lots of chicken thighs. I'll mix it up tomorrow.

Day 13

M1 – Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with prosciutto, onion, and asparagus; strawberries and pineapple

Exercise - 9.3 mile MTB ride, 2:15 with stops. Almonds, banana and orange purée, and two prunes along the way

M2 - Salad with grilled chicken thighs, lettuce, spinach, red pepper, olives, and sauerkraut; pineapple

Snack – banana and almonds

M3 - Porkchop, broccoli, sweet potato, olives; pineapple

This is the last day of my Media Free May. I didn't watch any TV or movies or listen to music or the radio. It's nice to have a break from all the external noise.

Day 14

M1 – Two eggs fried in coconut oil over prosciutto, pork chop, sweet potato, and broccoli; pineapple

Exercise - Hike, 1:50

M2 - Pineapple, strawberries, almonds, olives

M3 - Chipotle: carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, hot sauce

Snack - Almonds, mayo

I know M2 wasn't per the template. That started out as a snack, but I found that wasn't hungry afterwards. I didn't eat too much fruit today, so I will back off of that in the future.

I've been inexplicably sad the last few days. I feel fantastic, and I mentally really sharp, just every once and a while get hit by these out of the blue waves of sadness. This isn't common for me, and nothing externally has changed my world, so I'll just assume it's one of the undocumented impacts of Whole30. I'm sure it will pass.

Day 15

Right on schedule...crazy chocolate cookie dreams last night!

M1 - Three eggs scrambled with spinach and red pepper, salsa; 2 prunes; almonds

M2 - Salad with lettuce, spinach, red pepper, cucumber, olives, broccoli, beets, and grilled chicken

Snack - Banana and olives

M3 - Spaghetti sauce (ground pork, onion, olives, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Serano chili) over steamed broccoli; almonds

All is well...ate a little too much for dinner.

Day 16

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with broccoli, mushroom, and prosciutto

Snack (M2) - Banana and almonds

M3 - Spaghetti sauce (ground pork, onion, olives, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Serano chili) over zucchini noodles; olives; Golden Cauliflower Soup; Mayo

​I was working in a different office today and was caught off guard for food.  Luckily, I had a banana and some almonds with me.  Interestingly, I didn't get hungry at all until after 6:00.  I think that's a good sign.

Day 17

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with spinach, mushroom, and ground pork; salsa; strawberries; mayo

M2 - Golden Cauliflower Soup

Snack - Banana

M3 - Spaghetti sauce (ground pork, onion, olives, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Serano chili) over zucchini noodles; mayo; mixed berries with coconut milk

I struggled with wanting to abandon the Whole30 today.  Nothing serious, just a little food boredom and it was a perfect day for a post-work cocktail and some noncompliant treats.  I made it through just fine...just watching the meanderings of my thoughts and desires.

Day 18

M1 - Prosciutto, two hard-boiled eggs, mayo

M2 - Golden cauliflower soup, prosciutto

Snack - Banana with cashew butter

Exercise - MTB ride, 1:18

M3 - Ground pork, broccoli, sauerkraut, mayo two eggs fried in ghee; mixed berries

Day 19

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with prosciutto and mushrooms; mayo

Snack - Almonds

M2 - Salad with legume, spinach, chicken, egg, olives, peppers, tomato, strawberry, cucumber, EVOO, and vinegar

M3 - Steak, sweet potato, raw sugar snap peas, mayo; strawberries; prosciutto

OK, I've been on a bit of a prosciutto kick lately.  The secret is to roll up the slices, then cut them into 1/2 inch pieces.  Fry them in coconut oil and you have an outstanding substitute for ham to use in salad, eggs, or soup.

Generally feeling very good these days.  Heading into the home stretch!

Day 20

Snack - Banana and cashew butter

Exercise - MTB ride:  6.5 miles, 58 minutes

M1 - Three eggs fried in ghee; Golden Cauliflower Soup with prosciutto

M2 - Grilled chicken, tri-tip, zucchini, and mushrooms

Snack - Almonds, watermelon

M3 - Rogan Josh served over cauliflower rice; strawberries and blueberries with coconut milk

Felt really strong on the early ride this morning.  I was able to conquer for the first time one of the climbs that always gives me issues.  That's a big milestone for me.

Day 21

M1 - Three eggs fried in coconut oil served over sweet potato, onion, and prosciutto hash

Exercise - MTB Ride, 12.4 miles, 2:29.  Applesauce; almonds; pumpkin, cranberry, apple puree along the way

M2 - Banana; tuna with mayo; blueberries with coconut milk

Snack - Grapes; cherry tomatoes

M3 - Rogan Josh with cauliflower rice; frozen blueberries

The ride was something of a test for me.  There's a long, tough climb halfway through that always gets me.  I hadn't riden it in many years.  It was brutal!  I under-fueled and ran out of gas on the climb.  I finished the ride on fumes.  It's a good benchmark, and I know the hill *can* be conquered...just not by me yet.  Some day soon!!

Day 22

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach and hot sauce; peach

M2 - Rogan Josh with cauliflower rice

Snack - Banana; almonds

M3 - Pickle; Polish sausage (compliant) with onion, red pepper, and sauerkraut; strawberries

Snack while cooking for tomorrow - Small taste of chicken thigh

Very sore and out of it this morning.  Yesterday's ride took a lot out of me.  Definitely felt better as the day progressed.

Day 23

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with prosciutto, spinach, and cauliflower

M2 - Salad with chicken, lettuce, tomato, red pepper, and celery

Snack1 - Primal Pack

Snack2 - Banana; almonds

M3 - Polish sausage; asparagus; mayo; strawberries and blueberries; chicken thigh

Ever onward!

Archived