Gin's post Whole30 log

Ginsky

So today is day 31 or day of of the reintroduction phase. 

I had pork belly with two eggs and a mixed herb, cucumber, tomato salad for breakfast.  I decided to introduce organic red wine on this day.  I had a glass around lunch and thought my stomach felt sharp/upset and then noticed I felt congested.  It seemed so sudden and soon I didn't want to think it was from wine.  Anway, I had some bunless burger with zucchini and an orange for lunch.  Another glass of wine with dinner which was egg drop soup that I made with bone broth, two eggs, fresh ramps, broccoli, plus a few bits of zucchini and yellow squash.  Once again I noticed a congested feeling and stomach pain. 

So no red wine for me?  I think I'm bloated now!  What?  I haven't been bloated in weeks! 

The red wine is organic and even said no detectable sulfites but perhaps red wine is out of the question.  I may try tequila on a future day but with how I'm feeling I'm looking forward to my next two days of whole30 living.  Maybe rice on Saturday. 

So, really?  red wine is out? 

I am feeling sluggish this morning but my waiste is back down to the size it was before I had the wine.  It expanded 3 inches after a glass of wine.  That was nothing compared to the discomfort plus waking up at 3am with an urgent need to run to the bathroom.  *cringe* 

I may just make myself more soup this morning because my stomach is not feeling too fabulous.  Congestion has toned down considerably as well.  I'm glad I didn't go with 3 servings and stopped with only 2. 

I don't know if I want to introduce anything tomorrow.  I have autoimmune problems and might just transition into the whole30 autoimmune protocol for a few months.  I'm even wondering if the FODMAP version can be done simultaneously since I noticed some of the things excluded on that list gave me feelings of irritation, or at least it seemed that way.  Maybe I will proceed with reintroctions for now and make these other decisions once that phase is completed. 

Well I decided to go ahead and try dairy today. I had romano cheese with my breakfast.  My throat burned right after, some congestion made itself known, and my stomach rumbled a bit.  I decided to try some cheddar cheese and some organic raw milk and had more instant throat burn.  No reflux causing it, just burning throat.  More congestion and I'm not so sure about my stomach.  It's only noon. 

Well, a bit later after lunch I developed extreme fatigue, a raging headache, all over muscle pain, nausea, and weepiness.  It was no fun and not the kind of symptoms I would have expected to watch for from dairy. 

I wasn't going to have any other dairy servings but really felt bewildered and unsure about the burning throat thing and wondered if something else has made me feel ill earlier so decided to have some milk with dinner.  Within moments my throat was burning, my lips itched, my whole mouth felt strange and tingly.  the headache, stomachache, muscle aches, and weepiness returned full force.  I began wheezing in mid conversation but it passed.  So yeah, dairy needs to stay away from me.  I gave up milk years ago but have let cheese and butter sneak into my diet here and there.  No more of that.  Yet, if I'm honest, there is some part of me that wants to go chug a gallon of milk right now. 

Because I'm having a rather difficult time so far I think on Tuesday I'm only going to reintro rice and no other grain with it.  I'll do other non-gluten grains later. 

Still not feeling good, having some abdominal cramping and feeling reluctant to have breakfast even though today is back to strict whole30.  I have sinus congestion and post nasal drip with a mild headache that I am hoping does not grow. 

I did not want to even get out of bed this morning but my dogs helped me stick to our morning routine and we got out before sunrise and walked and ran for miles together.  Because I was slow to get moving at first, we were not out the full two hours but still more than 90 minutes of exercise.  My shoulders, neck, entire back really ache. 

Maybe I'll make some soup for breakfast because my stomach is not happy and the bone broth might go down well and help me agree to eat whatever protein and veggies I toss into it.

I had bone broth eggdrop and vegetable soup. 

I had some mahi mahi with lemon and ginger over spinach for lunch and then also had some leftover cauliflower with curry sauce from a previous meal to make sure I had enough veggies. 

Dinner came out of the crockpot, chuck roast with assorted fresh veggies plus a can of whole peeled organic tomatoes and bone broth.

I drank a lot of water today.  I felt ravenously hungry all day even if my stomach was physcially full.  My stomach still hurts and is still bloated.  Sinus congestion remains but isn't killing me. 

Still having abdominal pain and cramps, difficulty in going to the bathroom also continues.  Still noticing lingering sinus congestion and the unappeasable hunger.  I had some more of last night's stew for breakfast, carefully proportioned meat/veggie ratio to eliminate self doubts over this hunger feeling. 

Still having abdominal pain and cramps, difficulty in going to the bathroom also continues.  Still noticing lingering sinus congestion and the unappeasable hunger.  Also feeling contined weepiness and otherwise negative emotional state. 

I had some more of last night's stew for breakfast, carefully proportioned meat/veggie ratio to eliminate self doubts over this hunger feeling. 

The insatiable hunger remains and I have to use a lot of control not to go nuts. 

Lunch was poached eggs and a cucumber tomato salad. 

Dinner: chicken thighs and sweet potato.  It's taking everything to keep my from going to the fridge and devouring the leftovers even though I allowed myself some generous portions today.  I have a suspicion that my body isn't absorbing all the nutrients it normally should as a result of whatever else the milk did to me because the hunger is not related to feeling physcially full.  I've never been a stress eater or any kind of emotional eater so that's not a concern now either. 

Woke up with a still gurgly stomach, abdominal cramps and constipation again.  I'm delaying the next intro that would have been today.  I had some leftover chicken with fresh steamed green beans for breakfast. 

So I've been whole30 since my unpleasant dairy intro last Saturday until this morning when I finally had a small serving of rice (shortly after instead of with breakfast) to see how that goes. 

I had rice today with breakfast, seemed okay to my relief.  I had a sore neck last night and this morning.  I had more rice with lunch, just a small serving.  As the day progressed my whole body has flared up in pain and I'm not sure if it's a progression of what existed before rice or if somehow having rice created this imflammatory state.  I have some hives on my face and I'm also not sure if that's from seasonal allergies or what.  My stomach feels fine so far.  I don't know if I'm in denial or picked a bad day to do an introduction. 

I was a little congested this morning.  I'm not sure about the rice. One thing I am certain came from the rice though was tiredness.  After every meal yesterday I was hit with an incredibly tired feeling to the point of wanting to get in bed for a nap.  The other things could have come from physical activities and my sore neck working it's way down my back. 

Today is joyfully back to whole30.  Chicken sausage and broccoli for breakfast, turkey burger with eggplant for lunch and planning tuna steak and zucchini noodles for dinner.  I feel so much better today, not tired, not feeling like my whole body is on fire with pain, and generally happier. 

Today I decided to reintroduce honey and maple syrup and that seems to have all gone well.  Better than anything else I've tried so far and I'm relieved.  My daughter's graduation from high school is this Friday with a Baccalaureate mass on Thursday afternoon.  I may use one of those days as my white wine reintroduction day.  Possibly both days so I can drink toasts at the post mass dinner and the post graduation lunch. I haven't decided for sure yet.  I have the next two days to decide.  I'm leaning toward staying whole30 on Thursday and using Friday as the reintro day and may just not even drink wine and opt to intro something else instead.  Decisions, decisions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get to do a proper test last week.  Going out to eat ended up causing some problems.  I'm not sure what it was but something made me extremely ill for about a week.  I did have some tequila the next ay in spite of having problems but of course I can't really draw any conlclusions about it.  Maybe I caught a stomach bug too because it just seemed to take forever for my stomach and body to feel right again.  I even considered abandoning all future planned tests but I really do want to know precisely what does what to me.  Today I finally am having a test day and chose corn.  I can't say it's a complete success so far.  My stomach puffed by at least 2 inches, I have some gurgling, mild discomfort, and gas.  I am hoping this is not leading to an increasingly uncomfortable night or morning. 

If it doesn't get any worse than right now I suppose I could have corn on special and rare occasions provided I'm not in anything form fitting or in a close space with someone.  haha 

My morning after the corn was not pleasant and was not without sharp pains.  Corn is not worth that so it's staying out of my diet. 

I did test potatoes the other day and that was almost okayish.  Nothing painful but there were a few issues so I'd have to think long and hard if I wanted to indulge in some after all this.  I doubt I'll plan them deliberately into my diet.

Today is legume testing day.  I found some peanuts with only peanuts, peanut oil, and sea salt as ingredients and had a handful this morning.  And then got really nausesous and then threw up.  I'm not sure if I should/will continue testing any other legumes today but I'm definitely not having anymore peanut.  My stomach is unhappy and I'm suddenly feeling very weepy.  it reminds me of how weepy dairy made me feel.  At least my tongue isn't swelling. 

I'm really not having a good time with reintroduction.  I constantly think about quitting and just staying paleo but I do really want to know for sure which foods are my worst enemies and which ones I may decide to give up anyway for other reasons. 

I adandoned testing other legumes for the rest of that day and waited until yesterday to test my next thing since the peanuts kept my stomach upset and bothered for a few days. 

Yesterday I tested tequila and through the day probably had about 1.5 shots' worth of  it.  I haven't had any problems so it's looking like that's something that can eventually make an occasional appearance in my plans. 

Haven't decided what I'll test on Saturday. 

I almost didn't test anything today but went ahead with organic garbanzo beans.  After the first serving I had some stomach cramps and felt really sad and teary.  I noticed I broke out in hives but didn't connect it to the beans.  I sometimes question my reactions after only one serving.  I had all the same symptoms after a second serving and that's when I realized the hives were a reaction to what I ate.  There was no third serving. 

I am not sure I'm going to test anything today.  The morning after my last test was unpleasant and that's become my usual pattern with testing.  I may resume reintroduction after a break but for now I think I'll just relax on the idea.  I might indulge in a bit of honey, maple syrup, or tequila every now and then since those tested okay until I figure out my next move.  I suppose that puts me in the paleo category and that's just fine with me. 

I'm having terrible cramps which is normal for me (when I was in labor and during delivery unmedicated I told my midwife that this was not as bad as my cramps, so you get the idea of what I mean when I say terrible cramps) except that I didn't have them like this when I was whole30.  I think all the testing brought them back and am hoping that taking a break from attempting anymore reintroductions will correct that. 

Archived