WholeBunchOJunk's Post-Whole60 Log

Today is day 61 of my journey.  My plan for post-Whole60 is to stick closely to the Whole30 template and food lists, but to introduce a few of my favorite things, and/or to test foods that I'm suspect of.

First, some stats.  On my Whole60 I lost a total of about 7 pounds.  That's a great start; really happy with that.  I've lost a few inches as well, but haven't taken my measurements yet...will take them tomorrow morning.

My list of things I hoped would be improved was:

1.   Sleep patterns - Not a lot of change, though do see a little improvement at times

2.   Energy levels - Maybe a little improvement, though nothing like Tiger Blood

3.   Motivation - Some slight improvement there

4.   Sense of well-being - Also a slight improvement

5.   Clothing fitting better - Haven't noticed much difference even though I know weight/inches lost

6.   Loss of weight - Nice start with 7 pounds lost

7.   Reduce inflammation - Only my doctor can tell, but have seen a reduction in joint pain

8.   Better fitness (which has deteriorated greatly in the last couple of years) - haven't been working on this

9.   Learn more about why I eat things and when; discover what triggers certain behaviors - Have learned a couple of things, lol.

10. Reduce joint pain - Yes, had a rather dramatic change early on with two recent injuries (sprained thumb/hand and a bone bruise on my foot--both had plagued me for almost three months and the pain from both was dramatically reduced after only a short while on Whole60

Post Whole60, Day 1

(Thursday, May 22)

My plan is to test the foods/items I want to reintroduce or test in their purest form, or at least in a form with only one or two other foods that I know are okay, and only one food per week on one or two days.  I really don't want to add back a lot of stuff in my diet...I like eating this way and I'm not missing much, but would like to be able to go out to eat and not worry about a few things, and would like to have a treat once or twice a week of Starbuck's.  :) 

So today is sugar:

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausage, artichoke bottoms, iced organic decaf coffee with coconut milk and 2 tablespoons of sugar (sounds like a lot, but it was a tall glass with ice).

5:35 a.m. - Had a momentary headache near the bridge of my nose in the eye socket--I think this this is just related to my sinus issue though...the congestion I've been having for a few weeks hasn't cleared up yet.

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  ground beef, butternut squash, small apple, coffee with lite coconut milk and 3 packets of sugar

No obvious symptoms from the sugar @ 10:00 a.m., other than a feeling like I have some intestinal cramping, but that may be just my normal faulty digestive system....will keep an eye on it.

M3 (11:10-11:50 a.m.):  ground beef, artichoke bottoms, broccoli, black olives, 1/4 avocado; herbal tea with 3 packets of sugar

Still doing okay symptom-wise, but have realized that I didn't enjoy that second cup of coffee or the tea as much as I would have thought.  In fact the only reason I had the tea was because I wanted to test sugar, lol.  I DO think when the weather is cooler I will enjoy making a little hot cocoa in the morning, and I did enjoy that first iced coffee this morning, but otherwise, I see no reason to add it back, it's just nice to know that I can have small amounts which might be in other things.

M4 (5:15 p.m.):  protein shake

Post Whole60, Day 2

(Friday, May 23)

Slept fairly well last night, though wish it were longer...I have high hopes for this 3-day weekend.  :)  I am still testing sugar today, but will go back to regular Whole30 items tomorrow, then wait until Wednesday to test dairy.

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  small green shake:  spinach, egg white protein powder, frozen banana, coconut milk, filtered water

M2 (7:00 a.m.):  ground beef, butternut squash, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cup pineapple; coffee with coconut milk and 4 packets of sugar

Snack - a treat from a co-worker, a mini (bite-sized) gluten-free chocolate/coconut cupcake from Kara's Cupcakes with 1/2 cup black coffee.

M3 (11:30 a.m.):  chicken veggie soup, 1/2 avocado, olives

So, having some digestive issues after M3...not sure if it's from the mini cupcake or from lunch, or from a combo of both, or just my normal stupid faulty digestive tract doing it's thing.  Started around 1:30 or 2:00, feeling bloated and gassy and eyes even feel sort of like they do when I have an allergic reaction.

M4 (?):  ?

Post Whole60, Day 3

(Saturday, May 24)

So I extended my sugar test to include yesterday...not sure if it's related or just a coincidence, but I have two new blemishes today.  I was thinking I was breaking out less on the Whole60, so not sure what to make of it.  I'm going to be clean for a couple of days, then may introduce dairy on Monday...I'm changing up my original plan of only introducing one food per week and waiting longer between tests because I want to test dairy on a day when I'm home from work.  I bought some Organic Valley Milk, some Organic Cream and some cheddar cheese.  I will test a little of each on Monday.

Today:

M1 (5:00 a.m.):  protein shake - not to template standards but all compliant items.

(8:30 a.m.):  Starbuck's Iced Grande Americano with my own coconut milk

M2 (11:40 a.m.):  large romaine salad with grape tomatoes, broccoli slaw, sundried tomatoes, almonds, Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage link, olive oil and balsamic

M3, repeat of M1

Post Whole60, Day 4 & 5

(Sun. & Mon., May 25 & 26)

Yesterday was kind of miserable intestine-wise...lots and lots of gassiness and also had another breakout, so that was a total of four new blemishes.  I considered waiting to introduce a new food as I had originally planned to do, but really wanted to introduce dairy on a day when I was home, so introduced it today.  Oddly, my digestive tract seems just fine today, lol.  I should be miserable, but am not.  Got cleaned out yesterday apparently and now guess I can tell if the dairy will bother me or not.  Usually dairy gives me congestion/sinus infection, but I've already had that going on for almost two months, so we'll see if it gets worse.

A side test....since I've had dairy today,there was no need for coconut.  It has occurred to me that something I have been eating might be at least a partial cause of the congestion and the coconut milk seems like a top contender.

Testing Dairy:

M1 (5:20 a.m.):  protein shake:  egg white protein powder, frozen banana, unsweetened cocoa powder, about 1/2 - 1 cup Clover Whole Milk

6:30 a.m.:  cup of coffee with heavy cream

M2 (11:15 a.m.):  85/15 ground beef, 1/2 avocado, 2 slices cheddar cheese; 2 slices bacon, butternut squash, fresh strawberries

As of 11:45, not feeling any bad effects from the milk so far

M3 (4:30 p.m.):  repeat of M1

Post Whole60, Day 6

(Tuesday, May 27)

Slept better last night even though it was pretty warm.  Got up one time for the restroom.

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  protein shake made with whole milk

M2 (?):  Chicken thigh meat, 2 slices bacon, artichoke bottoms

M3 (?):  zucchini shredded into "noodles", chicken thigh meat, black olives, sundried tomatoes, butter

M4 (?):  ?

Lost track of the days, lol, but I've been testing various combos of sugar and dairy.  In their purest form, they seem to do okay, either by themselves or together, but combined with other ingredients, as in that mini cupcake a few days ago, or in the hot chocolate packet I tried the last couple of days, it's misery.  All.  Day.  Misery.  LOL.  So, Purest forms only and probably not every day, ever, but at least I know I can have a Starbuck's treat once in a while.

Sadly, I also tried 86% dark chocolate yesterday and today, and both times not long after my throat slightly burned...not sure what that is about because I can have unsweetened cocoa powder without any problems.  Okay, chocolate candy out, but unsweetened cocoa powder in my protein drink is okay.

I may have my Starbuck's treat tomorrow, then take the next couple of weeks off from testing anything.  The last couple of days have been pretty miserable.

• 3 weeks later...

Lost track of more days, lol.  What I've learned is that I cannot have normal chocolate in moderation and that I don't enjoy sugar as much as I thought I did.  

This week I'd been eating more and more and more chocolate and realizing that I am not even enjoying it.  It tastes sweet, but its not satisfying me like it used to (at least like I THOUGHT it did).  I didn't enjoy sugar in my coffee either (I'm going to qualify that as at home--still do enjoy the Starbuck types).  So, I'm cutting it out, but not militantly, lol.. I still plan to enjoy a Starbucks out once a week or so, but I just don't need it every day.  And, I'm perfectly happy with one square of a nice quality 85% dark chocolate over those uber sweet junk chocolates.

Am I evolving, lol?

So, my plan from this point on is to eat Whole30 compliant foods for the most part with the majority of my diet coming from veggies, proteins and fruits, with a bit of dairy and an occasional Starbucks and piece of high quality 85% chocolate.

My happy find today was a roasted sweet potato.  I've never done that before, and it was absolutely delicious.  Who needs uber sweet when you can have natural sweet, lol.

Still enjoying my roasted sweet potato. Dang, that's good stuff, lol.  

And, another happy find...  During my usual Farmer's Market trip, i found a vendor who sells kale chips AND BONE BROTH.  Yay.  I've never really been interested in trying to make it myself, but with my gastroparesis, having broth on hand is a great idea. I've made regular broth, but bone broth always seemed too complicated, lol.   I haven't the one I bought today yet, but will in the next day or so.  She said it would keep a week in the refrigerator or I could freeze it for longer.  I'll be trying some, but freezing the rest to keep for when I need it.  I passed on the kale chips, but may pick some up next week.

Stayed home from work today....could not sleep at all, plus my throat was slightly sore and very raspy.  During the night I had some sharper pains in my upper abdomen, then lots of cramping in my lower abdomen.  Not sure what's going on but having a little of that sharp shooting still in the lower abdomen.  Might be my gastroparesis, might just be gas, but it doesn't usually last more than a few hours in a day, so this is slightly unusual.

The pain seems to happen not long after eating so it could very well be the gastroparesis, it just feels a bit different then the normal pain.

Ate last of my wonderful sweet potato today.  Thankfully I bought some frozen cubed sweet potato, not quite the same as fresh, but good nonetheless.

Also stayed home from work yesterday, but am back at it today, though I think I really should have stayed home.  Feeling heavy-headed with moments of dizziness, glassy-eyed and like I can't concentrate. I'm also having a bit of that abdominal pain again.  Glad I have a doctor's appointment in  just over a week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back.  Had my annual wellness exam on Tuesday and got the results back yesterday.  My cholesterol was down a bit from last year, still high, but down from last year.   Doctor isn't at all concerned with that.

However, my blood work shows that I am pre-diabetic.

Drats, lol.

The good news about that is that now I will take my eating habits a bit more serious, hence why I'm back.  Not sure I want to do a strict Whole30 yet, but thought I would definitely clean up my diet and post what I'm eating here.  Doctor is in favor of limiting most of the junk carbs and sticking to the Whole30 way.  :)

So yesterday looked like this:

1:  2 slices sugar-free bacon, iced decaf w/2T cream and some sugar-free vanilla syrup (this is a summer thing...when it cools off, I won't want the syrup at all)

2:  2 eggs as egg salad with a couple of slices of pickle and mayo (not Whole30 mayo)

3:  1/2 zucchini (as Zoodles), spaghetti sauce (tomato sauce, a little paste and ground beef) (wasn't prepared for how much I missed this, so next week will use a whole zucchini) :)

4.  boneless/skinless chicken thigh meat sautéed with mushrooms; 1/2 avocado and organic black cherries

2 squares of 86% dark chocolate

And today looks much like yesterday:

1:  3 slices of the bacon; iced coffee

2:  3 eggs as salad w/pickle and mayo

3:  Same as yesterday

4:  Planned:  ground beef, 1/2 avocado, green beans, organic strawberries

So, I realize I need to incorporate way more veggies...will be picking more up when I go grocery shopping either tomorrow or Saturday.

Breakfast is still my worst meal.  I still wake up around 3:00 a.m., so am not usually hungry, but have the coffee and a little something to hold me over until I get to work and can have my real breakfast.  I'll also need to incorporate a few veggies at that meal, but should be easier to stomach than the first "meal".  :rolleyes:

Funny thing happened yesterday right after dinner.  I wanted something sweet, not an unusual feeling, so went to the refrigerator where I have some coconut milk cacao mousse and some raw mini coconut macaroons.  I looked at those for a few seconds, and realized that they were NOT what I wanted.  Yay me, lol.  What I wanted was some organic strawberries and blueberries, that I bought at the Farmer's Market and had washed and put in small baggies in the freezer.  That's what I wanted, and that's what I had, and boy was that good.   :)

My doctor really wants me to try to do 30 minutes of exercise 3-5 times a week, so I went out early this morning for a nice long walk.  It was peaceful and nice....enjoyed it a lot, though I am fairly out of shape.

So, here's my day so far:

1:  green shake:  spinach, 1/4 avocado, Now egg white protein powder, 1 banana, 2T heavy cream, filtered water to cover

Walk 35-40 minutes

2:  Decaf coffee w/ cream and 2 tiny macaroons

3:  Sugar-free bacon, eggs, sweet potato

4:  2 Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausages, diced and sauteed with green beans

Was pretty hungry before bed so had some goat cheese with cranberries

Weight was up a bit today.  May have to watch portion sizes a bit more carefully.

Stocked up on lots of veggies today, and will get more tomorrow at the Farmer's Market.

Didn't do great so far today as far as eating (shopping was after M2 lol):

1:  3 slices bacon; couple bites of chocolate coconut mousse

2:  Starbuck's skinny vanilla latte (didn't enjoy as much as I thought--think I'd rather have a smaller size with real stuff in it)

3: Large romaine salad with chicken thigh meat, shredded carrots, slivered almonds, 1T Olive Oil and 2T Balsamic Vinegar

4:  Homemade protein shake

Weight down again, yay...had a feeling the gain was water weight.  For those of you who may be reading...I do weigh every day, and have for the last 20 years.  It's a part of my morning routine, but has no bearing on my mind, lol.  It's almost a mindless action.  However, my doctor DOES want me to lose weight, so I will be monitoring that to see if I'm on track with my eating.

The Farmer's Market today was good, though didn't come home with much more than my usual sugar-free bacon.  Found some yummy grape tomatoes and a big fat cucumber for my salads.

My day:

1:  2 eggs, red bell pepper, mushrooms, 4 smaller than usual slices of bacon

2:  Starbuck's Venti Iced Coffee w/sugar free vanilla syrup (I couldn't taste it so either they didn't put any in or it wasn't as much as they usually do), with a little bit of heavy cream on the top

3:  Large romaine salad with shredded carrots, cucumber, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, slivered almonds, 1T each of balsamic vinegar and olive oil

4:  Ribeye steak, lots of green beans (Haricortt Verts), strawberries

Good news, I wasn't quite as hungry yesterday as I have been, so that helped to keep things to decent sized portions.

Back to the work week food choices:

1:  (3:40 a.m.) 3 slices bacon, 1 iced coffee w/cream, SF Vanilla

2:  (6:15 a.m.) Egg salad:  2 eggs, mayo, 1 baby pickle

3:  (11:30 a.m.)  Spaghetti sauce (tomato sauce, a little tomato paste, ground beef), over zoodled zucchini

Planned exercise when I get home from work:  10 minutes of rebounding, upper body weight workout

4:  (?)  Romaine salad with grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, 1/2 avocado, slivered almonds, chicken thigh meat, 1T each Balsamic and Olive Oil

Archived