Am I ready for Reintroduction?

tpapandr

Hi Everyone,

Today is day 38 of my Whole ____ (insert number here because I am unsure). I definitely feel better than I did on April 20th, before I began my journey, but here's my dilemma: I am nervous to start reintroducing foods. I'm worried that my sugar dragon is hiding and waiting to strike after all of my hard work. After 38 days of living without added sugar, I found myself craving chocolate yesterday afternoon when the "afternoon energy slump" kicked in. I felt panic that I was craving the sweets I used to at that same time of day, and I am wondering what your thoughts might be? 

Additionally, I haven't experienced the "tiger blood" I've read about, nor have I really felt truly "excellent". I'm thinking that I may just need to keep going and complete a Whole45 or maybe I should just do the reintroduction and see how it goes?

I appreciate any advice and guidance that can be provided. I feel kind of lost right now! Thanks in advance! :)

You can certainly continue with Whole30 as long as you like and increase and consolidate your gains; a lot of people here do.

If you do decide to do a reintro, my suggestion is to only reintroduce those things you want to reincorporate into your diet. For example, if you really miss hummus, then see how you do with legumes. If you feel you can live very well without something (such as added sugar?), there's no reason to bring it back in at this point. 

Here's the official literature on reintros for reference.

Not everyone gets the "Tiger Blood" -- though for my money, a stable blood sugar level, steady energy, and consistently better mood are better than "Tiger Blood" any day. Here's the new thinking regarding "Tiger Blood."

Hi GlennR,

Thank you for the response. The idea to reintroduce only those foods that I really miss is a great idea! I guess this is what is meant when people say the whole30 isn't that same for everyone. I think I will wait to bring back sugar, or at the very least I know I need to keep myself in check going forward. 

I do wonder if you can tell me how to approach reintroducing alcohol? I know alcohol is made of sugar, but I sure miss the occasional glass of wine.

The new take on "Tiger Blood" definitely fits with my experience. I am waking up rested and ready to go and at the same time daily, even without an alarm clock. My sleep is also better and my daily anxiety has reduced significantly. I'm so glad you sent that link--I almost overlooked all these improvements because I hadn't experienced that overflow of energy that I expected, but I am happy with the improvements so far. I also need to realize that this isn't the end of the transformation--that the changes are gradual and every day is a step toward becoming a healthier, happier me.

If wine is something you would like to reincorporate in your day-to-day life, by all means, try it out. See how your body reacts. But in small doses at first. Now that your gut is healing, it may be much more sensitive to wine than before.

Archived