Emily's On-Going Sugar Demon Fight

Emily

I keep writing a post here and having it get REALLY LONG! I don't want to do that to you poor people, so I bump it over to my blog.

Here's the short story: I was lucky enough to be part of a 13th birthday this Sunday! Unfortunately, it resurrected my sugar demon, big time!

So I'm doing a quick Whole7 to keep the sugar demon under control, and I'll log here as needed.

If you want the long story (it includes a smart horse and a beautiful cupcake) check out my blog:

Ordinary Contradictions: Resurrection of the Sugar Demon

I know the feeling. My sugar demon came on day 32 in the shape of chocolate cake with earl gray ganache. WORTH IT! I thought I could handle it as part of lunch out with a friend, but then it turned into a weekend with chocolate chip cookies, alcohol and wheat. I'm back on track now but it was a weird moment when I didn't recognize my new self.

Arabella, that is SO ME! I'm really okay with one meal splurge. It makes me happy, it seems like nice balance in life, it keeps me from being deprived. I just have such a hard time keeping it to one meal. But I am determined this time not to let this one get out of hand!

I'm glad you posted this. I'm on day 11 (and that time of the month to boot) and someone brought my favorite chocolate chip cookies from my favorite bakery in to work. My brain right now has a running mantra that sounds like "cookie, cookie, gooey chocolate cookie, cookie, cookie, cookie." It's taking all the willpower I have (admittedly, never my strong point) not to walk into the break room and smash cookies into my face. I feel like the Cookie Monster.

Edit: I nearly caved on this, but fortunately when I went back to the break room someone had already eaten the ones I like best. Saved!

Nice job not caving! Sometimes if you just wait long enough the opportunity will disappear.

Right now I'm really aware that there is ice cream and a cupcake (going stale!) in the fridge. I tried to explain what an intense craving it is to my bf, but I could tell he didn't quite get it. I'm basically just getting through these days--the bulk of my energy is going to fighting cravings.

It's interesting to me how we crave things that aren't necessarily good for us. I really wish I would crave broccoli or romaine lettuce like this.

Today is four days after the cupcake/ice cream/pasta . . . and I'm *finally* feeling reasonable again! Last night bf and the kids made milkshakes out of the last of the ice cream and I wasn't especially tempted; I'm back to feeling in control of sugar.

Three solid days it took to get over that! Arg! I keep wondering if it really is worth having occasional treats.

I'm going to relax on Whole30 stuff other than sugar (which includes alcohol). Basically that means I'm going to let some white potatoes in and maybe some rice. But NO crack! Er, sugar!

Those three days... even that week are really, really hard! But it is worth getting through them ddjohns!

I was thinking over this week (since I conveniently ate all my sugar on Sunday).

Other than the super-strong-put-me-on-my-knees-cravings, the other thing I've really struggled with this week is energy. Some of that might be circumstantial, but today is the first day I didn't sleep super late and I finally began to feel energy worthy of a post-Whole30 today.

1. Sugar makes me intensely crave more sugar.

2. Sugar makes me tired and grumpy.

Archived