Sally_Oh's journal

Sally_Oh

I've been on the whole30 for two and a half weeks. It's challenging so far. There's more cooking than I'm used to...

I don't eat sugar except for honey in my coffee so that wasn't so bad. I eat almost no bread and grains except organic popcorn with ghee and coconut oil at night. I miss that but I'll live. :)

It's the dairy I miss most: we get raw milk and it's so good. Black coffee is not my favorite (trying not to be completely disgruntled here). I usually have it with a little honey, a T of coconut oil and raw cream.

I've lost two pounds and I've stopped gaining. Yay!

I want the benefits: lose weight, yes, but more importantly I want to be in charge of my body again. I can live without certain foods, but I like the reward part. Like hormonal balance, healthy adrenals, not fat, good sleep, as physically healthy as possible. Those are all the benefits I'm expecting from the Whole30 followed by a primal/paleo diet. I'll keep you posted.

Bfast: 1 cup black coffee, 2 eggs fried in ghee

Lunch: broth soup with eggplant and onion. Three chunks of liverwurst with a little mustard.

Dinner: half a lemon pepper roasted chicken from Whole Foods, glass of home made kombucha, very tart.

• Moderators

I'm glad you are going to start reporting what you are eating. That will help troubleshoot your experience.

Your breakfast was protein and fat. You might need some carbs for energy. Maybe some tomatoes or other veggies with those eggs.

Bfast: 1 cup black coffee with coconut milk, 2 fried eggs, sauerkraut, bacon, 1/2 sliced tomato

Late lunch/early dinner: leftover chicken, sauerkraut, small glass kombucha

Snacks: fruit (berries, piece of pineapple)

Dinner: little bit of chicken, 1/2 avocado with olive oil, oilives, four cherries

Snack: cashews, kombucha

Bfast: cold brewed coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs, bacon, tomato

Lunch: little liverwurst... need more food

BIG MISTAKE: we bought a food hydrator and started experimenting with it. Just an FYI: dried fruit is like CANDY. I have to stay away from that stuff!

• 1 year later...

It's been a year and I have to say that doing the Whole30 was one of the two most life-changing diet experiences I've had to date. I lost about 6 pounds back then and felt great. I added back a few foods -- most notably dairy -- and gained that back. But if I hadn't done this challenge, I wouldn't have known how much dairy affects my health. Thank you for that.

I'm off dairy now as well as grains and legumes and sugar (all sweeteners, in fact). I'm also giving up coffee for adrenal health. Still on the path :)

I've encouraged a few friends to do this -- very nice to have this all laid out and the forum is excellent. Thank you.

P.S. Forgot to mention the other life-changing diet. Dr. James D'Adamo (Peter's dad) put me on a sugar-free diet -- no fruit, no sweetener, no alcohol, no nothing -- for six weeks, after which I felt equally amazing.

Archived